•  
Advertise here

Tyre Rubbing Advice

@Thomas Varghesemade me laugh! Fully agree brother. Funny enough 2 months ago I didn’t even know how to read tyre information but turns out off roading is in my blood as I am addicted and cannot stop. I’ll use @Brette to vouch for that as he has been trying to slow me down for some time now :) 

it has been a great learning curve and a genuine fun journey with @Carnity. Also it helped discover my new addiction. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

There is nothing we can make out from the above pics. Sorry.

Take a pic of showing how much tire is impacting against the fender, along with at what percentage of steering.

What I meant is "ONLY ON FULL TURN" = Marginal, as you will only drive any vehicle at full turn lock for less than 0.1% of the vehicle lifetime. I know I have a full lock turn issue so I steer at 90-95% of steering while making u-turns.

@Gaurav there is no rubbing in normal steering even at full angles. I’m guessing that’s marginal. I’ll try to find a way to push away the fenders as the rubbing is only happening sometimes when steering almost full and suspensions are compressed at the same time. Thanks for trying to help though! 

• Like (+1) 2

What shall I say mike? U had a beautiful Pajero which could have given @GauravSoni's tuned Pajero a run for his money. I seriously doubt with these investment on tires you can push the car. U can say an investment gone bad. Do u still have your original rims and tires? Put them on. This mod you can sell to other enthusiastic offroaders and lessen your loss. Lots of forums are there where people who don't know anything are experimenting with all sorts of funny contraptions and finally realise they made a fool out of themselves. 

I'm not saying these experiments are unnecessary. I'm only saying cars are serious machines and the manufacturer has put in so much R & D when they produce a car. When you try to alter a constant other variables has to be changed. I don't know any serious modifier who knows what is he doing in UAE. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for the input @Thomas Varghese. don’t look at it as a setback. It’s still the same White Rhino, still very capable :) I have an image of a rig in mind which I’m executing and I’m almost there. Trust me it’s even more capable now. Hope to see u on the sand soon and Ull see for yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Rightly said @Mike.… these machines are our boy toys!! We do these mods to make ourselves enjoy the ride…and every mod has its own good and flip side..what @Thomas Varghese says is also right which is the loss of power due to the heavy tyres but it shouldn’t matter as long you enjoy your ride.. it’s not a competition of who can climb higher or go faster…you probably will have less chances of pop out with more side wall! And better traction during self recovery.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Mike looks like the offroad bug has bitten you and will stay until you drain all of your wallet. You want to see how a really modified Xterra looks like? I have seen 2. One was my friend's X. It had all the works you can imagine of. I used to gaze at it with wide open eyes. Calmini metal bumpers front and rear with a winch in the front. Imported from USA. Both rear sides had a ladder going up to the roof. 2 petrol cans mounted on either side up the rear tires. Water can mounted at the back door with the steppini tire relocated from under the car to the rear door. For an X this itself is a very expensive mod. Hi lift jack mounted along side the mounted tire. Inside it looks like he has his whole house inside and ready to zoom in case of a nuclear war to his bunker. Man that car looks like a monster out to prey on his victims. Last year I saw his ad in FB to sell the car. Called him up and asked him why you want to sell such a beautiful car. The answer he gave opened my eyes and made me vow I will not do anything to my car. With all the weight loaded on the car it won't run more than 150km on a full tank. The 2nd car belongs to a garage owner. He partially own a club and is a Marshal. I asked him why he is not using his highly modified Xterra on his drives. The answer he gave made my vow even stronger. He said every time he takes out the car it will cost him 1000 AED to repair the broken parts. 

So please go easy on the mods until you know what you are doing exactly and there are technicians who can deliver what you have paid for. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

19 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

Rightly said @Mike.… these machines are our boy toys!! We do these mods to make ourselves enjoy the ride…and every mod has its own good and flip side..what @Thomas Varghese says is also right which is the loss of power due to the heavy tyres but it shouldn’t matter as long you enjoy your ride.. it’s not a competition of who can climb higher or go faster…you probably will have less chances of pop out with more side wall! And better traction during self recovery.. 

yes agreed bigger tyres are heavier, as you both rightly said so, everything has its pros and cons but other than the rubbing issue which is really minor, the traction on the car now is at a completely different level. In the last drive with Ale, I was mostly on 3rd gear and very rarely on second  when not in “D”. With those new A/T the car feels like a tractor now compared to the skating ballerina feeling with the H/T

19 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Mike looks like the offroad bug has bitten you and will stay until you drain all of your wallet. You want to see how a really modified Xterra looks like? I have seen 2. One was my friend's X. It had all the works you can imagine of. I used to gaze at it with wide open eyes. Calmini metal bumpers front and rear with a winch in the front. Imported from USA. Both rear sides had a ladder going up to the roof. 2 petrol cans mounted on either side up the rear tires. Water can mounted at the back door with the steppini tire relocated from under the car to the rear door. For an X this itself is a very expensive mod. Hi lift jack mounted along side the mounted tire. Inside it looks like he has his whole house inside and ready to zoom in case of a nuclear war to his bunker. Man that car looks like a monster out to prey on his victims. Last year I saw his ad in FB to sell the car. Called him up and asked him why you want to sell such a beautiful car. The answer he gave opened my eyes and made me vow I will not do anything to my car. With all the weight loaded on the car it won't run more than 150km on a full tank. The 2nd car belongs to a garage owner. He partially own a club and is a Marshal. I asked him why he is not using his highly modified Xterra on his drives. The answer he gave made my vow even stronger. He said every time he takes out the car it will cost him 1000 AED to repair the broken parts. 

So please go easy on the mods until you know what you are doing exactly and there are technicians who can deliver what you have paid for. 

Thanks Thomas for looking out. I can sense ur protective nature in your message. Will keep your message in mind at all times. I’m not doing any crazy mods and not planning to. The White Rhino has a reputation to keep :) 

Edited by Mike.
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

@Srikumar the tyre width is the same as I upgraded from 265/60/18 to 265/70/17. The original rims however were 7.5” wide and offset +46. The new rims are 9” wide and offset zero 

Then one option is to change the rims to stock 17 inch of Pajero. 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

I'm only saying cars are serious machines and the manufacturer has put in so much R & D when they produce a car. When you try to alter a constant other variables has to be changed.

Totally agree on this.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 hours ago, Rizwanm2 said:

if its marginal rubbing in fender liner. take a heat gun and heat the area where its rubbing and slightly push it in. 

cheapest solution. 🤑..

@Rizwanm2 I still have to buy the heat gun in this case :) 

• Like (+1) 1