•  
Advertise here

Tyre Rubbing Advice

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

@Gaurav there is no rubbing in normal steering even at full angles. I’m guessing that’s marginal.

Yes, that means no need to tinker with anything else.

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

rubbing is only happening sometimes when steering almost full and suspensions are compressed at the same time.

Time to visit your suspension installer and explain the issue and see if they can adjust the suspension to the firm setting.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi @Mike.. Judging by some of the comments in the thread I bet you wish you never raised the topic in the first place!! Unfortunately the subject of mods within @Carnity is a contentionous one to say the least . That’s why I decided to keep my car as close to stock condition as possible.😉

Anyway, to your question, I had exactly the same issue last weekend with my Toyota land cruiser. Last week I took the plunge and changed my stock 18in rims and 285/60/r18 AT tyres to 285/70/r17 wheels / AT tyres. The new set up results in about a 1” dia increase . I didn’t experience rubbing on the road, but during last weekend’s drives, I did notice that when in deflated condition and when turning as the suspension was extended, I got some slight rubbing on the mud flaps. As @Gaurav says, it’s probably something one can live with, but I don’t like hearing dodgy sounds when driving in the desert so decided to get it corrected this week. In my case, and I am not sure if it can be done for Pajeros, my garage performed a body mount chop. Clearance between tyre and mud flap is now significantly bigger and fingers crossed I won’t have any issues this weekend when I give it a test in the dunes. 

As said, I am not sure if the same mod is applicable to Pajeros, but I am sure if you visit a competent garage you will get sound and constructive advice on how to correct the issue. 

In the meantime I hope you enjoy your new setup. For me it was definitely worth the investment. My LC cruised up the tall dunes in badayer last weekend when previously it had found it a struggle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks @Tom B, my solution will probably be a combination of putting the suspensions on stiffer setting and finding a way of pushing back the front side of the liners a bit. 
You are right it seems mods are an interesting point of debate and everyone is right from his own standpoint as it is true that car companies spend a lot of R&D to design and eventually release cars. 
The way I see it also has to do with target clients and price points appealing to those target clients. Car manufacturers have to keep the design within a certain price range in mind. Same like when ur buying a villa let’s say, the contractor will design it to keep the price at X to appeal for the intended target clientele. Some customers would be interested in that villa for location or any other reason but would like to upgrade the kitchen or the flooring for example. 
Say a new pajero with some upgrades costs 200k which is 50 more than a new FJ or the price of a new wrangler, how many would be interested still in buying that Pajero? 
At the end of the day, it will boil down to taste, preference and choice. Still a very interesting point of debate :) 

• Like (+1) 4

@Mike. totally agree with everything you have said. I also think that for a lot of members in the club, myself included, part of the fun during their off-road "journey" is to spend time researching about modifications, talking to others about their experiences with similar mods and then actually taking the plunge and getting the modifications done.

Personally, I feel all the upgrades I have done have benefited car handling performance both on road and off road and has made things that much more enjoyable when I am in the dunes.

Each to their own as they say!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Ok everybody. Let me put it in another perspective. When I started driving with @Carnity every time I get bogged down or couldn't match the climbing abilities of other drivers I was sad my car was not living upto my expectations. It was the same when I started to click pictures. Every picture I took I felt was not upto the mark and was always looking to spend money on better gear so that I could at least come near taking some good photos. Both cases I was wrong. It is never the gear. Gear can help but its always the man who uses the gear who unleashes the potential of the gear. I was wrong with my car. Thank God I kept it in stock condition. Once I started to understand the capabilities of the car I understood the car was never to be blamed. It was me and me alone. Over time I got to know how my car behaves when I ask him to perform certain tasks and what I have to do to make my car do it. Every gear has its limitations. Its good to upgrade once you are done with the present gear. Same with my camera gear also. I bought all the lenses I could afford to improve my photography, Do you all know which lens I use the most? The nifty fifty which is the 50mm prime lens and which is the cheapest. Sometimes the 75 - 300 if I need so much of a close up from far. All other lenses are simply resting in my camera bag. Same with car mods also. At one point of time you will realize the company settings were the best and you have sunk all your money into an endless moneypit for nothing and you will no longer recognize your car. Go through @Carnity website and propaganda. It clearly says the club teaches you to offroad in stock condition. I'm happy with that. The money I may have spend for mods I can use it for my retirement and continue offroading more in those days. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Tom B said:

@Mike. totally agree with everything you have said. I also think that for a lot of members in the club, myself included, part of the fun during their off-road "journey" is to spend time researching about modifications, talking to others about their experiences with similar mods and then actually taking the plunge and getting the modifications done.

Personally, I feel all the upgrades I have done have benefited car handling performance both on road and off road and has made things that much more enjoyable when I am in the dunes.

Each to their own as they say!

Totally right @Tom B, you wouldn’t upgrade without research and the fun journey to get there. Then to enjoy the fruit of all the effort and time you put to get there!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Ok everybody. Let me put it in another perspective. When I started driving with @Carnity every time I get bogged down or couldn't match the climbing abilities of other drivers I was sad my car was not living upto my expectations. It was the same when I started to click pictures. Every picture I took I felt was not upto the mark and was always looking to spend money on better gear so that I could at least come near taking some good photos. Both cases I was wrong. It is never the gear. Gear can help but its always the man who uses the gear who unleashes the potential of the gear. I was wrong with my car. Thank God I kept it in stock condition. Once I started to understand the capabilities of the car I understood the car was never to be blamed. It was me and me alone. Over time I got to know how my car behaves when I ask him to perform certain tasks and what I have to do to make my car do it. Every gear has its limitations. Its good to upgrade once you are done with the present gear. Same with my camera gear also. I bought all the lenses I could afford to improve my photography, Do you all know which lens I use the most? The nifty fifty which is the 50mm prime lens and which is the cheapest. Sometimes the 75 - 300 if I need so much of a close up from far. All other lenses are simply resting in my camera bag. Same with car mods also. At one point of time you will realize the company settings were the best and you have sunk all your money into an endless moneypit for nothing and you will no longer recognize your car. Go through @Carnity website and propaganda. It clearly says the club teaches you to offroad in stock condition. I'm happy with that. The money I may have spend for mods I can use it for my retirement and continue offroading more in those days. 

Noted. It’s not all for off-roading purposes and performance of course but for personal taste and preference as well.
How many more years before retirement @Thomas Varghese?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mike. said:

@Rizwanm2 I still have to buy the heat gun in this case :) 

Hey @Mike.. I have a heat gun, so if you haven't bough one already, just stop by and borrow mine. I live in cadre villas / silicon oasis or I can bring it along to work (the fancy Al Qouz).

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Noted. It’s not all for off-roading purposes and performance of course but for personal taste and preference as well.
How many more years before retirement @Thomas Varghese?

Once I think I can survive without depending on my kids for financial assistance without me working. All these years I was investing on their studies. By the grace of God all of them completed.Daughter is a manager in a hospital and married. Son is an Aerospace engineer and working in Bangalore. Youngest daughter finished her B Com recently 

• Well Done (+2) 2

2 minutes ago, Sam K said:

Hey @Mike.. I have a heat gun, so if you haven't bough one already, just stop by and borrow mine. I live in cadre villas / silicon oasis or I can bring it along to work (the fancy Al Qouz).

Very nice of you @Sam K! Let me figure out the next step and I might take you up on your offer very shortly. Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Once I think I can survive without depending on my kids for financial assistance without me working. All these years I was investing on their studies. By the grace of God all of them completed.Daughter is a manager in a hospital and married. Son is an Aerospace engineer and working in Bangalore. Youngest daughter finished her B Com recently 

Seems like you’re a good man and a great father @Thomas Varghese. God bless!

• Like (+1) 1