•  
Advertise here

Driving Duration Suggestion for the Sunmer

Mike M.

Hi @Carnity family. Due to the summer heat and all what it brings with it, is there a possibility to reduce the drive durations to 2.5-3 hours? 
i am opting out of summer drives as I don’t want to keep thinking about overheating issues nor the stickiness that comes with the extra heat.

Thought of throwing this idea as food for thought because I would be willing to keep driving during summer between let’s say 5 am - 7:30 or 8 am for the coming period. 

The main idea is to keep driving under favorable conditions during summer rather than not driving at all. 
@Gaurav@Brette@Frederic@Srikumar@Hisham Masaad@Vanessa8580@Islam Soliman @M.Seidam(Sorry I couldn’t add all leads but just a sample I know to get the discussion going if the option is there) and all leads, what do you think ladies and gents ?

One thing I can think of in case promotions and ranks are points of debate and standing in the way of implementing this then I would suggest that each 2 x 2.5 hour drives would count as 1 normal drive.
The main objective and intention out of this is really to keep driving and enjoy the sport under favorable conditions.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like (+1) 7

Agree that the summer is quite severe on both us and our cars. We generally avoid being on the sand beyond 9 AM till about 4 pm (which is when the mercury is above 40 deg. C).

Every lead has their own style of drives, but I think I can say on behalf of everyone that the leads start to move towards the exit by 8:30 AM, as incase if there is a major stuck after that the recovery conditions can be extremely difficult. 

Another option is that you could try out the twilight / night drives which we keep having on a regular basis. You dont need any special offroad lights to join these drives. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

would suggest that each 2 x 2.5 hour drives would count as 1 normal drive.
The main objective and intention out of this is really to keep driving and enjoy the sport

You have given both question and answer in your comment. 

One doesn’t need a 4 hr drive to judge a driver - if that is for a promotion to next level. 

Main objective is spot on ( considering this is a hobby for many)  Forget the promotions  , take your time to learn and then enjoy the levels as you progress  with the challenges, involvement, attitude and the friendship as u get along. 
Heat is severe but that’s what makes you a better driver , once the winter sets in 😀

• Like (+1) 7
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Dear  @Mike., valid, however I am afraid unavoidable. Considering the place we live in, and the hoppy we practice, which require sometime to depart and start enjoying, it is the minimum what can we consider. As mentioned by @Srikumar moving towards to the exit can start after 3 hours and 30 minutes from meeting time, to avoid high temperature.  On the other hand,  you will find it good that the extreme weather conditions are only about 2 to 2months and half, out do 12 months. If you go every weekend, that's about 10 drives where you will be put under different type of challenge. Unless you go for summer vacation, then you are saved 😊

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

On 7/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, Gaurav said:

Hi @Mike. it's a good suggestion, but mostly off-road never goes as per plan and that's the challenge we all love it.

From a technical standpoint, 4 hour's drive time means:

• 30 min briefing and deflation
  • 3 hour drive time.
  • 30 min debrief and inflation.

Now in that 3 hour drive time, moving time averages to 1.5 - 2 hours as the rest of the time required for sorting stucks and refusal, as you know we never leave stuck drivers behind and the whole convoy waits.

Now trimming that 1.5 - 2 hours drive time won't be fair for the people who wait to get out for the whole week.

As Sri mentioned to make sure all cars are happy and safe we only restrict driving in peak summer heat based on different timings for various months.

Thanks for taking the time to break it down @Gaurav. Valid points and fair comments. It is what it is I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1