•  
Advertise here

Ram 1500 Airbag Deactivation

I believe, or should perhaps say hope that I am onse step closer to resolve the RAM 1500 airbag deactivation riddle.  I found an interesting device that the Police in the U.S. aparnalty uses to shut down the airbags in their vehicles, as can be seen at the webpage below.  I now just need someone in Dubai who would be able to install the thing.

https://danasafetysupply.com/vehicle-airbag-on-off-switch-by-progard/

58390113.pdf

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

I believe I now found the holy grail of deactivating the airbags on the RAM 1500.  It was as simple as asking the dealership.  Although they didn't have a OEM switch, they some how improvised and fitted a nanny kill switch for me, switching off all the bothersome systems when off roading with a simple toggle underneath the steering.  Will test it oit on Saturday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 9:52 PM, Paul Zietsman said:

I believe I now found the holy grail of deactivating the airbags on the RAM 1500.  It was as simple as asking the dealership.  Although they didn't have a OEM switch, they some how improvised and fitted a nanny kill switch for me, switching off all the bothersome systems when off roading with a simple toggle underneath the steering.  Will test it oit on Saturday.

@Paul Zietsman did you get this sorted eventually ? A neighbour of mine drives a Dodge Ram and has been looking for the solution to properly deactivate his airbags.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

There are 2 ways to resolve the airbags issie on the 2019 onwards RAM 1500:
1.  Pulling a fuse.  I just have to get the number of the fuse again.  It  took me some time to figure it out as the manufaturer is not keen to encourage people to shut it off.
2. I asked the RAM dealership to install a kill switch when I took it in for a service.  They fitted a none OEM switch and asked AED 900.  It was however invoiced on OEM paper and should thus not impact the warranty.

For both options you have to give it 2 min, as the system has a back-up battery that lasts about 2 min.  I therefore switch mine off when I start to deflate to be sure that the battery would be gone once I start to drive.

If you have a Limited, then there are some more issues.  As soon  as you pull the fuse or use the switch, the system outomatically switches on the traction control and it then gets stuck in it.  Once the vehicle starts to move, the airsuspension also automatically drops out off Offroad to normal mode and then gets stuck.

You thus have to get the vehicle on the right suspension setting and then pull the fuses for the airsuspension en tractioncontrol as well,  before you switch of the airbags.

I have a switch for the traction controle and will ask the Dealership to install one for the suspension as well when I take it for a service again. For now I just pull the fuse for the suspension.

Driving the RAM 1500 is like flying a plane with all the switches I have to flip before I go offroad.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1