•  

Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Little Sweihan - Dubai - 6 Aug 2022

GauravSoni

Thank you for this extreme drive @GauravSoni. Really enjoyed the 1st part until my battery had a sudden death. Sorry if I was behaving irritated. The extreme heat was exhausting and driving me nuts. Anyways thank you friend for being with me until the recovery van came to lift the car to the garage. Except for a totally dead battery everything else is fine in the car as per the mechanic. 

• Like (+1) 1

@Gaurav Sonithank you for the loveley drive, which was challenging at some areas, however, I really felt we can do this drive and complete the little Sweihan challange, until unfortunately Thomas's car started failing on repeated occasions, which took out the last 1.5 hours of the drive. 

I am confident if we revisit the area, and hopefully  with all reliable vehicles, next time we shall overcome the challange smoothly. 

To the rese of the team, looking forward to repeating the drive with you soon. 

@Pacific @Ashok chaturvedi thank you for being a great support as always 👏 👏 👏

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

15 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Thank you for this extreme drive @GauravSoni. Really enjoyed the 1st part until my battery had a sudden death. Sorry if I was behaving irritated. The extreme heat was exhausting and driving me nuts. Anyways thank you friend for being with me until the recovery van came to lift the car to the garage. Except for a totally dead battery everything else is fine in the car as per the mechanic. 

Its 100% now sure that the battery died a sudden death inside the desert. I've purchased a new battery and now the car was running from morning till now without problems. 2nd time happening inside the desert. 1st time was on may 15th 2021 on a drive with @Wrangeld. The battery ran 1 year and 3 months and died suddenly without any warnings. Replaced with an Energizer batt made in Spain. 1st one which died was AC Delco, now 2nd one is the famous Amaron. As per the battery shop it can happen anytime when you do abrupt jumps inside the sands. The inside cell connections can separate and its sudden death for the battery. As for running without connecting the terminals again the car will die in 10 min when the alternator cannot discharge the generated voltage to the capacitor ie the batt and will become hot. I saw the code generated for abnormal voltage generation from the alternator 35 times in my scanner.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

1 minute ago, M.Seidam said:

It seems that “X TERRAS don’t jump “ 🤣 I never did 🙏 till now 😅

You mean they hop like a kangaroo? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Thanks @GauravSoni for the drive, it was definitely more technical than Ale's previous drive. I've landed safely in Indonesia, so appreciate your wisdom in winching strategies along with @Ashok chaturvedi @Pacific bhais teamwork to get me out of a pickle bowl situation, else I may not be able to catch the flight 😂

As for @Thomas Varghese's car, I suspect it's the Alternator/Generator. The battery is only an energy storage, used to spin the Starter Motor to start the car as it requires a high voltage jump to start it. When the engine starts, through timing belt/chain it will power the Alternator/Generator which powers all electronics when the car is running. Additionally the Alternator also charges the Battery so it can start the car after stopping next time. Since Thomas's car constantly stopped while the engine is running, f seems the Alternator is not fully-functional at 100%, this also explains why the battery is dead (it's not being charged by the alternator).

One of the first things I replace when I bought the 20-year old LandCruiser are: Starter Motor, Alternator, all Belts & Pulleys that power alternator, water pump, clutch fan 🙂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Interesting postulate @Zed, but I checked the alternator and its charging fine. All the theory you wrote about the battery and alternator is fine. The car stopped because the alternator had no capacitor to discharge the generated voltage and heated up as we disconnected the battery. It was heating up when it was connected to the battery too as theoretically as the battery once the cells inside separate then doesn't function as a capacitor. As explained before everything was fine until the moment the cell separation occurred inside the battery.  

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for the update @Thomas Varghese! Is it fixed now by replacing the battery? Else you may need to visit an electrician to fully inspect cablings, fusebox, power draining and short-circuits...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use