•  

Old / new engine versus brand new car ?

M.Seidam

Nice video, I love watching engine rebuild. Been there done that thrice 😭

Love this mechanic organizing skills and clean work approach. Wish we can get such mechanics here.

I always recommend everyone that change their engine oil early as it cost almost nothing.

And for off-roaders at half the recommended kms. Most car manuals do slash the oil change interval by half (same as my theory) by marking it under "severe condition" or "extreme conditions" such as dusty, hot, and harsh weather.

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Personally I change the engine oil of my Xterra every 5k km although I am using a 10k synthetic 5W40 . And after seeing this video I will do the same for our Grand Cherokee although very rarely we drive off road ( probably to love lakes or the individual Qudra lakes on the track ) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, M.Seidam said:

If you have time try watch it all . 

Thanks Dr. @M.Seidam, I have to split it over 2 sessions to watch the whole thing :D  This reminds me of similar "lifetime ATF concept" that I first hear from my friend who owns a Dodge. When I first hear this, I was surprised since most mechanics recommend changing Automatic Transmission Fluid every 40,000kms or if used just for going to office maybe can extend to 80,000kms. And to add more salt, these "modern lifetime transmissions" don't come with dipstick to check ATF level or quality :D 

After some discussions, I realize that what dealers nowadays mean is "lifetime of your car loan / car ownership" which is usually 4 years and people usually sell their cars before reaching 100,000 kms. After this 4-5 years/100,000kms the dealers are hoping you'll get their latest version under-warranty and repeat the cycle again :D 

Now back to the Engine Oil topic, hmm if what he says is true that "Dealers put the cheapest oil to save cost, even Toyota dealers" (since he's ex-Dealer mechanic), then we need to worry about our 10,000km oil change. There is no such thing as 5,000km vs 10,000km oil, there is oil with different viscosity level (e.g. 0W-40), liter size or quarts, and Mineral, Semi-synthetic and Fully-synthetic. Usually when mechanics refer to 10,000km oil it means the Fully-synthetic as "it can last more" and slower to degrade over time and usage. And so, if dealers pick the cheapest, that would not be the most expensive fully-synthetic, which means you're not getting that "10,000kms oil" 😂

Ok now as to when best to change oil... 5000kms is a better interval 10,000 for sure. But as regular offroaders who may go once-a-week (or twice a week!), we should learn what a drop of engine oil on paper means 👇 (use the dipstick to get a good drop and let it absorb on paper for a while)

chrome_CG5YEIYMxL.png.0d85aa6edd4469e540d0db481ec6901c.png

Once it gets Dark and "Middle-condition" quality, time for an engine oil change, even though you've just reached 4,000kms! Even worse, if the shape is not round, means you have some water contamination there 😦

As for the Viscosity, usually best to refer to Owner's Manual, most will refer to 5W-30. But with the knowledge that higher load + higher temperature will make the oil thinner, and that owner manual is written for "general usage of cars" + "one average setting that can accommodate worldwide situation", we can opt for something thicker like 40 or higher.

The reason is we're trying to avoid this boundary lubrication, where the oil is too thin that the metal to metal starts touching and causing wear & tear. There's an oil film between bearings and crankshaft, and if the oil is too thin too often, causing metal-to-metal friction will certainly lead to Engine Rebuild like in the shared Youtube :D 

chrome_GuC0JOWfEX.png.016bfd6fe02c756c82bda35507ef73b4.png

So my personal opinion is to get 5W-40, 10W-40, 15W-40.  If you have a supercharger and climbing Sweihan every week may want to try 20W-50 for staying thick at high load + high temp :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Another thing I rem to highlight is that in the video mechanic got the short block from Toyota easily because of two reasons. First, its US serves a huge market, second its Camry - is a workhorse, and flagship famous model of Toyota.

I tried sourcing brand new engines from Habtoor and even Mitsubishi Japan and their repetitive answer was NO.

I really doubt all car manufacturers supply replacement engines after 5 years of production date.

23 hours ago, Zed said:

This reminds me of similar "lifetime ATF concept" that I first hear from my friend who owns a Dodge. When I first hear this, I was surprised since most mechanics recommend changing Automatic Transmission Fluid every 40,000kms or if used just for going to office maybe can extend to 80,000kms.

Not only Dodge, but many car brands also do this on purpose to maximize profits.

23 hours ago, Zed said:

After some discussions, I realize that what dealers nowadays mean is "lifetime of your car loan / car ownership" which is usually 4 years and people usually sell their cars before reaching 100,000 kms. After this 4-5 years/100,000kms the dealers are hoping you'll get their latest version under-warranty and repeat the cycle again

No, if you confront the dealership which I did when they kept saying sir it's a premium oil for a lifetime, bla bla bla. What they mean is a lifetime of transmission.

That's where from 2010 ish onwards many manufacturers removed dipsticks and start selling thousands of tranny to an average joe by calling transmission itself is replacement part and not serviceable anymore, as it's sealed for life.

23 hours ago, Zed said:

Now back to the Engine Oil topic, hmm if what he says is true that "Dealers put the cheapest oil to save cost, even Toyota dealers" (since he's ex-Dealer mechanic), then we need to worry about our 10,000km oil change.

Some dealers do that. I sent my Pajero to Habtoor (long back) for major service and spotted that after 1200 kms strange tappet noise started coming. So I dig deeper and found that they have used LUKOIL worst grade engine oil. Left Habtoor and straight went to Mobil 1 and the loud tappet noise went away in 10 seconds.

23 hours ago, Zed said:

So my personal opinion is to get 5W-40, 10W-40, 15W-40.  If you have a supercharger and climbing Sweihan every week may want to try 20W-50 for staying thick at high load + high temp :) 

I couldn't agree more here, for offroaders 20W-50 thickness is very safe BUT provided you use fully synthetic oil and not just mineral oil. With high load and temp mineral oil won't last more.

Sadly in UAE, very few companies sell 20W-50 or 40 grade (still acceptable) in a fully synthetic blend. Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple are a few that offer this spec for motorsport enthusiasts.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I sent my Pajero to Habtoor (long back) for major service and spotted that after 1200 kms strange tappet noise started coming.

looks like history repeat itself , a week before leaving in holidays i got my JGC majorly serviced at trading enterprises by Jeep and this Noise is felt.which was not before. !!

10 hours ago, M.Seidam said:

looks like history repeat itself , a week before leaving in holidays i got my JGC majorly serviced at trading enterprises by Jeep and this Noise is felt.which was not before. !!

And now when u want to dig deeper, agency will simply react like in this step

• Sir we only use Jeep Oil
  • Sir we only use jeep recommended oil
  • Sir we use correct grade of oil

And will never answer the brand, so easily as they know its the cheapest grade of oil they use  (possibly made in sharjah).

For two main reasons:

1. Cost-cutting
  2. To increase your repair bill eventually as soon as car runs out of warranty
  • Like (+1) 1

@Gaurav I am afraid that most probably its as you said is the case.

6 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

And now when u want to dig deeper, agency will simply react like in this step

• Sir we only use Jeep Oil
  • Sir we only use jeep recommended oil
  • Sir we use correct grade of oil

And will never answer the brand, so easily as they know its the cheapest grade of oil they use  (possibly made in sharjah).

For two main reasons:

1. Cost-cutting
  2. To increase your repair bill eventually as soon as car runs out of warranty

Anyway our JGC already crossed the 200k km and I believe this was my last major service with them … time to look for a decent garage to service it onward on 😅

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, M.Seidam said:

@Gaurav I am afraid that most probably its as you said is the case.

Anyway our JGC already crossed the 200k km and I believe this was my last major service with them … time to look for a decent garage to service it onward on 😅

Actually you can give it to any mechanic to change your engine oil which is way much cheaper than getting it done in Trading Enterprises. They charge you for inspecting other fluids and max your brake pad conditions. All this checking can be done by ourselves except the transmission oil & differential oil if you know where all they are. 

Important Information

Terms of use