•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Skill Drive Series - Slip Attack - Dubai - 27 Aug 2022

GauravSoni

Dear Dune Surfers,

You slip - you Skip!

This drive is the Third edition of the Skill Drive Series which had been posted in previous weeks for Ridge riding, criss cross and Technical terrain navigation, and Side Sloping

As the names suggest, we would be focusing on the  skills of Slip face climbing - attacking the dune from slip face during this drive.

532752994_duneSlipface.png.6dfa4189882993f1d8727d5448841fb4.png

sand-dunes-2.jpg.8b4501e6d676bcee63c2e3faa91e177f.jpg.a1ed864d3d227330f991348687069d51.jpg

Every dune has a windward side and a slipface. A dunes windward side is the side where the wind is blowing and pushing material up. A dunes slip face is simply the side without wind. A slipface is usually smoother than a dunes windward side.

The slip face are the softest part of the dune as the sand in not compressed ( pushed into) as there is no wind pressure.  These slip faces usually have a high angle of attack (  between 30 to 35 Degrees) which makes it challenging and Fun to drive on. 

I always go back to watch this video as it is one of the most important and well explained ones available on Your tube:

Make sure you come with a full tank, Car in good conditions, recovery gear for this level (Radio, Flag, Deflator, Compressor, Kinetic rope and Soft shackles). Recovery points should be checked and in good conditions.

It is preferable for the cars to have a front bash plate (6mm or more) to keep the radiator protected

Let us know If your vehicle is lifted more than 4 inch of OEM stock height as your 4x4 center of gravity will be high, and you need to factor this accordingly while doing the slip face attack.

General Info

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie  and Above

When:  27th August 2022 , Saturday

Meeting time: 5.15 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions).

Meeting Point: Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/emfxGr8MpdyCB3uL7

Exit Point: Solar Park / last exit/ Bab Al shams

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance and Bash Plates

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time:  9.30 AM or early

P.S. Only join if you have a compressor to inflate your tires after the drive.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Friday - 1 PM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR EVENT

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 2

• Gaurav changed the title to Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Skill Drive Series - Slip Attack - Dubai - 27 Aug 2022

Dear Dune surfers! 
Please note the updated meeting point  @Tareck @Jaro Tuzinsky @Zulfikhar Naiyar @Dinesh Kumar A @Ignacio Quindós @Senthil Kumar @DP1011 , Deepak wrangler @Sunny84 @takeshi sobue

Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/emfxGr8MpdyCB3uL7

I will be sharing the convoy order by night or during the briefing. 

See you all at 5.15 am..

please ensure that you have all necessary gears for the drive..

@DP1011 , Deepak wrangler you are on the shoveling and recovery duty!!! Make sure your gears are 👍🏼… 

In case of emergency you can connect with me on 0545564213

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Drive report:

Cool morning… with bunch of cool drivers! 
 After the initial struggle of getting to the starting point for a couple of cars… we  had our quick briefing and were rolling at 5.40 am.

We did a couple to side sloping and cross cross to get inside the dunes for the amazing view of the rising sun on the desert horizon. 
here we did a quick recap of the essential for slip face climbing. 

we then headed in the general direction towards lisaili finding slip faces to get the feel of car climbing on the soft slip faces…we drove for about an hour when we had our first refusal which was quickly sorted by @Kailas… we attempted some high slip face climbs on the ridges and convoy gained confidence as we zoomed pass long range dunes see- sawing on the soft and hard faces… halfway towards the lisaili long range dunes I decided to circle back to the starting point having about 1.5 hours for the drive… at this time, we had a couple of refusals and stuck which was again very well managed by kailas… having a Marshal as support has its own perks!

as we progressed on the small technical patch, I got caught in a soft patch and bellied out requiring a couple of tugs from Deepak to get me out! 

Driver fatigue started to kick in with stucks during cross crosses.. shoveling was the key to get out of the situation until it became too hot in direct sun.. 

we eventually made our way towards the exit and all were out by 9.30 am.

@Jaro Tuzinsky you did well for your first 2nd lead and m sure u got a new perspective of your car!

@Sunny84 u did well to chase the two pajero’s and drove well! Refusals are how me learn and progress… 

@Dinesh Kumar A  Getting stuck is part of the game and I believe it’s mostly the fatigue that kicked in.. you drove brilliantly!

@Zulfikhar Naiyar as I said during our post drive chat… u need to spend some more time with your X on the dunes to get to know her a little more! 😂 well driven!

No radio callouts from @Ignacio Quindós @Tareck @takeshi sobue meant u breezed through the terrain and had fun!

thanks @DP1011 , Deepak wrangler for the shovels and tugs.. well done.. 

thanks @Kailas for joining the drive and handling the situations at the back!!

See you soon in sand!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Gaurav Soni Great drive, Love the theme, which tempted me , slip it skip it😎! Thank you for this one!

@Kailas Was pleasure to see you again!  

@Jaro Tuzinsky well done as second lead with perfect distancing! 

Some familiar and some new faces, was absolute pleasure to have all of them, was such a smooth drive with few learning experiences! 
the weather, fantastic! 

See you all again soon in sand guys! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Big thank you to @GauravSoni for a very interesting drive. Hope to have another one soon!

@DP1011 , Deepak wrangler nice to see you again and thanks for your support. Same goes for @Kailas as sweeper.

Cheers!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use