•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Scenic UAQ and RAK Trails - RAK - 17 Sep 2022

Frederic

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@FredericThank you for such a scenic drive. After a year with Carnity i finally got to meet the Legend. Good job from @Simon Dawood as 2nd lead . The back bone of the Convoy @munkybiznesswho did such an amazing job as CF. Good to see some old and new face. Hope to see everyone on the sand soon. Some pictures uploaded in the gallery.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hi @Frederic, thanks for the amazing enjoyable drive, thanks @munkybizness, @Simon Dawood for the great support. Thanks @Vaibhav for having our backs, and for all for the nice pics.

I uploaded more photos to the gallery. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

While many of us turn to off-roading for the sheer adrenaline that is produced as we tackle ridges and climbs, it is really in the moments between and during that we miss out on when on the "rails of speed" :D 

Which is why, drives like these, are so important. They enable us to slow down and truly appreciate what nature creates and nurtures. And there's so much to see and experience. For that alone, thank you for always organizing drives like these @Frederic. It is why I took up off-roading - not for the speed, but for the opportunity to see what's off the road, tucked away between dunes, and off the grid. As @Simon Dawood said to me post, "I've always seen this area on my way to RAK and wanted to explore it," here was our chance to see it. I think we also have beautiful entry from Falaj Al Mualla into those lovely play areas towards the end :)

Capping off the drive for me was the attendance of families. It's so refreshing to see children on these drives. It takes me back to my childhood and my dad, taking us out into the woods and wadis. Remnants of those memories are what laid the seeds for me to take this up.

As far as driving goes, no real challenges here. The convoy did excellently and the stucks were normal for a drive like this. Actually, I would say, stucks are all part of it. Rather, if we're not getting stuck, we're not trying hard enough ;) 

I do want to call out the entire convoy for getting involved with the shoveling and recovery efforts. And for the excellent support down the middle in ensuring that the entire convoy got out of tricky areas, thank you @Vaibhav. It was truly appreciated. Every time, there was an issue, I could see you immediately flanking up to the front to help. Great job!

See you all out on the sands, rocks, camel tracks, wadis and mountains soon...

🐵 ]

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

I am delighted to hear the positive feedback from all of you with regards to this drive !

We started off near the camel track of Al Libsa, and to my first surprise the entry I had in mind and did the week prior was blocked due to the camel race that was about to start. I

A quick check on my gps made me decide to reroute through the tiny village and so we headed off into the first set of gentle dunes.

We snaked our way through the dunes that were mostly covered in bushes and plants. In dune bashing terms we would consider this a bad thing, but in a scenic drive all these things add up to the experience, and the few nice big drops we had were quite enjoyable.

The easy-going pace had a kind of a meditive feeling to it, and leading in this terrain in very relaxing. The very few stucks we encountered added to the overall fun of being out together and getting the shovels out.  Very good support from all of you who worked as a team.

Once we reached the "Namibia Sabkha", which has become my favorite area of the UAE, my initial plan was to start heading towards the mountains and exit somewhere near Adhen. I did that route the week prior but was a bit disappointed with all the construction works going on in that area and I felt it would remove the scenic feeling to it. I decided to loop back to Falaj Al Mualla and the improvised photo session that @munkybizness came up with was a very welcome initiative ! I've seen fantastic pics from all of you in the drive gallery !

We covered in total 50kms in about 3.5hrs, and that is mostly thanks to the mix of farm tracks and dunes. 

I agree that it's great to see families joining us, and this kind of drive is more suitable to have passengers along. 

Thanks for the great support from @Vaibhav, @munkybizness and @Simon Dawood but also others that helped out during the shovel works :)

See you soon on the sand or rocks or wadis !

https://www.relive.cc/view/vdvm3xKMJx6

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use