•  
Advertise here

Off road tires for FJ Cruiser

@Brette, I guess it’s going to be BFG for me then next. My luck with the Yoko Geos has not been great either.

With cuts on the bead lining, and a fully ruptured sidewall on two separate MY2021 tyres barely 12k kms in, I’m not the biggest fan of Yokos either but they are the best of what I can find.

• Like (+1) 2

When you get Geo's if you can get LT AT tyre it should give better side wall protection due to the 10 plies, but it is extremely difficult to find even though it is listed on their catalogue. What they offer as standard is AT but not LT. When I tried to find one, the vendor Juma Al Majid had it in their inventory list but physically it was not LT. In the end I went with Arroyo LT AT which has performed well till now.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, munkybizness said:

@Brette, I guess it’s going to be BFG for me then next. My luck with the Yoko Geos has not been great either.

With cuts on the bead lining, and a fully ruptured sidewall on two separate MY2021 tyres barely 12k kms in, I’m not the biggest fan of Yokos either but they are the best of what I can find.

Have also heard the kumho AT tires are good. The BF is good no doubt but extremely heavy and made more for rock climbing or overlanding. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have been using Cooper AT3 since 2018. Just replaced 2 tires recently because I suffered a foot long cut at the side wall on one of the tire. Thankfully it was not deep enough to puncture the tire. Based on the collective experiences here, looks like AT3 may not be suitable for wadis. 
I have enjoyed the ride on the tarmac and sand. 

• Like (+1) 2

My experience with cooper AT3 was noisy onroad, shaky handling above 110km that I once thought something broke under my car, and yes weak sidewall, had a fist size of bubble on one of the tires that I never had on HT offroading, which is very strange to me. But offroad it did give me more grip which I could clearly feel, and it has one of the best look among AT tires in my opinion

now I have been using yoko geolander G015 since 40 drives back, around 20k kilometer on the dash. couldnt been more satisfied with the tire, moderate noisy onroad (cruising at 130-140kmh) almost no effect on handling. Never had one single popout, absolutely zero hassle tire to me, I run 8-10 psi with stock rim. Plus its cheaper than mainstream AT tire. The only con could the it looks just as gentle as a HT 😁.

I see that Rydanz Raptor AT has been receiving positive comments, anyone has experience with it?

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

My experience with cooper AT3 was noisy onroad, shaky handling above 110km that I once thought something broke under my car, and yes weak sidewall, had a fist size of bubble on one of the tires that I never had on HT offroading, which is very strange to me. But offroad it did give me more grip which I could clearly feel, and it has one of the best look among AT tires in my opinion

now I have been using yoko geolander G015 since 40 drives back, around 20k kilometer on the dash. couldnt been more satisfied with the tire, moderate noisy onroad (cruising at 130-140kmh) almost no effect on handling. Never had one single popout, absolutely zero hassle tire to me, I run 8-10 psi with stock rim. Plus its cheaper than mainstream AT tire. The only con could the it looks just as gentle as a HT 😁.

I see that Rydanz Raptor AT has been receiving positive comments, anyone has experience with it?

I have the Rydanz Raptor tyres, which was not my initial plan (tyre dealer confirmed me he had Yoko G015 in his shop, only to arrive and see he only had G056 HT tyres). I got the 285/75/16 which are a bit too big to my liking, but so far the tyres have been doing great. They offer great traction on the sand, but are a bit noisy on the road (Yokohamas are much softer and smoother ride). 

Price wise (285/75/16 Rydanz was same prices as the 265/75/16 from Yoko) they are pretty good, but once they are worn i will go back to Yokohamas to get that smooth ride again. The Rydanz are heavier and would do fine in wadis as well and that's why i considered them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 hours ago, Anoop Nair said:

When you get Geo's if you can get LT AT tyre it should give better side wall protection due to the 10 plies, but it is extremely difficult to find even though it is listed on their catalogue. What they offer as standard is AT but not LT. When I tried to find one, the vendor Juma Al Majid had it in their inventory list but physically it was not LT. In the end I went with Arroyo LT AT which has performed well till now.

You can get the Geolandar AT LT tyres in US system of 30", 31" tyres. The LT tyres are heavier than the regular AT tyres, but don't know if the side walls have been further reinforced.

• Like (+1) 4

23 hours ago, munkybizness said:

Completely missed out on the Coopers. Good shout @Vaibhav!

Anybody here have experience on the AT3 XLT? I’ve seen a few around on drives.

I have AT3 XLT 315/70r17, (will soon upgrade to 37”, I will post update later) good on road and off-road performance. Tires feel stable, obviously a modded car will start shaking harder than a stock one at 150 and will ride rougher, but its not a big issue for me, if you don’t mind a slightly hard ride on road go for them, never had any punctures or issues personally. And I’ve been pushing them, donuts, burnouts drifting in sand etc. Still strong.

Edited by Harshal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

One option that I have been thinking about is Goodyear Wrangler  … haven’t been able to find yet in market (but then I just started checking stores). I got these as stock and have been very happy with them. Very smooth on road and have been good performer off road as well — but then I don’t have experience with anything else.

Anyone has any experience with them with comparison? Are they even available here in AE? Checked out G015 today and as Charlie as well mentioned they don’t have that aggressive look - same is the case with Goodyear Wrangler that I presently have. So any specific reasons no one uses them here in Dubai (at least haven’t seen anyone unless running on factory fitted one). 

• Like (+1) 1