•  
Advertise here

Toyota 4.0 1GR-FE Engine Single VVT-i vs Dual VVT-i

I have been doing some small research after noticing the performance specs differences on the following 4.0 L Toyota models below as i was trying to understand why some are rated at 230hp while others were showing 260-270 hp in their datasheets.

- Toyota Prado / Landcruiser: Single VVT-i till 2009, Dual VVT-i was implemented on the new model of 2010 onwards.

- Toyota FJ Cruiser: Single VVT-i till 2009, Dual VVT-i was implemented on the new model of 2010 onwards.

- Toyota Hilux 4.0 (Adventure Series): No 4.0 model available until 2021, until Adventure Series came with 4.0 V6 Single VVT-i

- Toyota Fortuner: Single VVT-i only.

I noticed prior to 2010, the FJ cruiser had a Single VVT-i setup, (variable valve technology on the intake only), while from 2010 onwards the FJ received Dual VVT-i technology (variable valve technology on exhaust side as well). This update resulted in about 21hp more power, but on the other hand, the max power is sitting on a higher rpm and the torque is a bit less.  

image.png.77d7c2157604f007b5c75f41d9f84434.png

To my surprise i have noticed the current 4.0 Fortuner and Hilux Adventure models are still showing the single VVT-i specs, which makes me suspect they are doing this to keep the production cost down. 

Adding to the confusion, the Landcruiser 70 Series 4.0 V6 even has lower output. 228 HP / 360 Nm.

Of course in real life situations and performing in the desert we need to look at many other things, but i wanted to put this article here to get a better understanding on the differences and to advice if you are planning to buy an FJ secondhand, it would make sense to go for the 2010 model and upwards.

1GR-FE_Engine[1].pdf

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

i have noticed the current 4.0 Fortuner and Hilux Adventure models are still showing the single VVT-i specs,

I initially had same thought as the output figures are identical, until I read someone saying its dual VVTi for Fortuner, and I looked up Toyota ae and found out they all have dual VVT-i mentioned on their performance spec ( Fortuner Hillux adventure LC70 series). 

we need to chop up a newer 1gr fe engine to find out🤡

https://www.toyota.ae/en/new-cars/hilux-adventure/4.0-l/

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie

18 minutes ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

I initially had same thought as the output figures are identical, until I read someone saying its dual VVTi for Fortuner, and I looked up Toyota ae and found out they all have dual VVT-i mentioned on their performance spec ( Fortuner Hillux adventure LC70 series). 

we need to chop up a newer 1gr fe engine to find out🤡

https://www.toyota.ae/en/new-cars/hilux-adventure/4.0-l/

Hmm thanks for researching @Zixuan Huang - Charlie ! this is indeed a mystery that needs further investigation. Detective @Zed to the rescue !!

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

To me, it sounds like Trooper's days have been numbered now.

Hahahaha not at all buddy, but i need to be able to keep my bank in the loop on future investments (read as expenditures)... 😁

28 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

To me, it sounds like Trooper's days have been numbered now.

@Frederic i have a feeling you started researching after you saw the 1GR-FEs perform in sweihan yesterday, but no way they were outperforming the green trooper 😂.

Jokes apart, thanks for sharing the document. slightly off topic from the engine, but thought will share a few more things that one may consider for decision making:

- FJs that are pre-2013 came with single fuel tank only. Late 2013 model onwards come with dual tanks. Makes a big difference and saves the hassle of worrying about extra fuel cans. 

- Prados both the 1GR-FE engine series i.e 120 (upto 09) and 150 (2010 onwards) have dual tanks. Only the higher spec models upto 2012 came with single tanks (for some reason toyota thought this was more luxurious). Anyhow post 2013 models they have corrected and all models from base to top come with dual tanks. 

- Fortuners come with single tanks only. Solid performers, maybe slightly better than the prados in some ways except for comfort. I always thought the engines were tuned for lower hp compared to Prado due to them being lighter, had no idea about the single and double VVT-i

- So do LC V6. Though in my opinion they are slightly underpowered due to their bulkier body. If going for an LC i would recommend looking at the 4.6L & 5.7L V8s. 

- Would love to get some feedback on the new Hilux adventure, dont have much to write about myself. 

• Haha (+1) 1

In case one cannot find a 2010+ model for Dual VVTi , for 7000dhs you can get original Toyota Racing Development superchargers that are available for Single VVTi...  then the Single VVTi will beat both HP and Torque of the Dual VVTi 😄

I've seen it reaches 580hp for 1GR-FE Single VVTi on Supercharger 🔥  Food for thought for the Prado owners here...

IMG_7860.jpg.bf0e750d5e1b4ee45f2272d932f83d58.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

40 minutes ago, Zed said:

In case one cannot find a 2010+ model for Dual VVTi , for 7000dhs you can get original Toyota Racing Development superchargers that are available for Single VVTi...  then the Single VVTi will beat both HP and Torque of the Dual VVTi 😄

I've seen it reaches 580hp for 1GR-FE Single VVTi on Supercharger 🔥  Food for thought for the Prado owners here...

IMG_7860.jpg.bf0e750d5e1b4ee45f2272d932f83d58.jpg

Pls no more ideas, im done modding my school van 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3