•  

Afternoon Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Speed King (The Deep Purple Series) - Dubai - 5 Oct 2022

Ale Vallecchi

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and strictly follow these guidelines.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: 

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie Plus and above 

Meeting time: 3:45 PM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9keLDkiSbxoNicVo9

Action Plan:  A drive, once again, for Fewbie Plus drivers seeking to escalate their skills to the next level (Intermediates are welcome), designed to reach the speed .... of sound. In particular, the sound of Deep Purple, whose song Speed King has inspired me to post this weekday drive. The terrain for the drive should be one that allows high speeds, such as open long-range dunes, perhaps separated by a few small sabkhas. We'll split the itinerary into 1-hour segments, trying to clock the fastest possible speed, with the goal to beat it in the following 1-hour segment. Concentration will be a must, as what we may not experience in terms if complex maneuvers will be more than made up for by the fast pace that the drive seeks to maintain.

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 6:30 PM

P.S. Only join if you have a compressor to inflate your tires after the drive.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 8 cars maximum. RSVP will close on Wednesday - 12 PM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please click on the "Add Waitlist" link.
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members that do not confirm the terms of the COVID requirements will be removed from the RSVP list.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE CALENDAR 

• Like (+1) 3

Dear Desertnauts

while usually the desert inspires meditation, silence, or at most listening to the notes of soft lounge music, this time the sands will vibrate with the sounds of one of my youth's favorite hard rock songs: Speed King by Deep Purple.

Imagine taking off to the notes of this........

Probably not everyone's favorite desert melody, but certainly perfect to describe the mood of this drive 😁

• Like (+1) 4

19 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts

while usually the desert inspires meditation, silence, or at most listening to the notes of soft lounge music, this time the sands will vibrate with the sounds of one of my youth's favorite hard rock songs: Speed King by Deep Purple.

Imagine taking off to the notes of this........

Probably not everyone's favorite desert melody, but certainly perfect to describe the mood of this drive 😁

Fantastic concept.

Talking about speed, what about this one:

From 1.30 onwards :) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Dear Desertnauts

A quick heads-up for tomorrow's drive.

We'll meet just after exiting the ADNOC gas station in Qudra, turning left into the parking area in front of the Spicy restaurant.

The convoy will be short and sweet:

@Haitham Khattab in Second Lead

@Jessica Lambert at #3

@KAMALIO at #4, and 

@JeromeFJ in Sweep.

We'll tune into Channel 4 before taking off.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Have a great night.

• Like (+1) 3

Speed King (The Deep Purple Series) - Drive Report

"Whether one moves slowly or with speed, the one who is a seeker will be a finder" - Rumi

Speed King was never designed to be a drive moving slowly. Speed was the only ingredient, and with it we prepared and enjoyed an exhilarating afternoon, like I had not yet had in the UAE desert.

The terrain chosen was Qudra, in all its quadrants, with mostly long-range dunes, well spaced ones, and as few technical areas and other obstructions as possible, other than some tighter patches and some vegetation. We started at the Yoga Pavillion, reached almost all the way to the pylon tracks from the western quadrant, turned back closer to the eastern quadrant, and exited back at the Pavillion.

The pace was torrid, all the way through the drive. Only a couple of early exits from some ridges (promptly re-attempted), a refusal of my own in a soft pocket, and one tug from a tall ridge, were the only breaks taken in a 2-hour drive (with only 7 minutes of stoppage time). 

As promised, we set off to the tune of Deep Purple's Speed King, which certainly woke everyone up from their afternoon's naps, and set the drumming rhythm of the drive. 

In the end, thanks to the spectacular driving of @Haitham Khattab in Second Lead, @Jessica Lambert, @KAMALIO and @JeromeFJ in Sweep, we covered 37 Km in the first hour (at a blazing 37 Km/h average), with no stops at all, and another 35 in the second hour, when we encountered more vegetation, a tighter technical area, and dealt with a tug, and concluded the track at 36 Km/h moving average, for almost 72 Km.

It will be difficult, but this will be the speed that we'll have to match, or beat, in the second installment of the Deep Purple's Series, which will be the soon to come Highway Star.

See you all soon, speeding out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 5

My only regret about attending this drive today is that I’ll be very impatient waiting for the next instalment! Thank you so much @Ale Vallecchi, I’m still buzzing. Thank you @Haitham Khattab for again for your second lead expertise, as well as the tug guided by @JeromeFJ, and to my fellow mid convoy speeder @KAMALIO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

What an awesome drive today @Ale Vallecchi, feeding our midweek hunger with an extra dose of adrenaline and Speed. Thank you so much for arranging such an amazing speedy drive, sponsored by the beating melodies  of deep purple and executed by very capable drivers. @Jessica Lambert, looks like u ve been practicing FB+ at home :) , you drove it like a pro FB+ and didn’t seem that’s your second drive in the level. @KAMALIO, pleasure to see you for the first time, looking forward to see you again. @JeromeFJ, always a pleasure to drive with you, you set an example of timely clear communication  and support to the convoy.

Looking forward to the second installment of Deep Purple, with the target to beat the record of the 1st drive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use