•  
Advertise here

Buyers Guide for Insta 360 X3

Looper

31 minutes ago, Imteeaz said:

@Looper @Waqas Parvez @Vaibhav @DP1011 , Deepak wrangler  thank you guys for all your insights.

well - my kids and wifey surprised me with  an X3 (Insta360) and not the car on my birthday.

now i need to start looking for the accessories to get it ready for my next drive.

i have noticed that the suction mounts (ones with 3 suction mounts) are most probably best suited for the off-roading; i am still deciding whether to have it mounted on the side (as all of you guys do) or on the sunroof (yes - i have a sunroof).

which product do you recommend for the mounts?

@Looper  i will go through your above list in Insta360 website and try to buy these. 

anything i need to know gents before i starting digging through my wallet?

thanks

@Imteeaz Welcome to the club🤟🏽😎
agree with @Vaibhav , pls dont use it till u buy Lens cover ( for about 100, from amazon) , Suction cup costed 400, but just after i bought the white friday sale offered it for 260😂, and I would deftly recommend a spare battery ( as done to me by Looper)! 

Mounting side or roof, - Am sure as u level up from Absolute NB to FB, FB+ and IM, u will get all angles covered 😂🍻, as mounting is not fixed! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Hej, i am a happy owner of insta360 x3 too:) about lens protection i have got this model but didnt use it yet.

Lens Guards for Insta360 X3, Transparent Protective Case for Insta 360 ONE X3 Panoramic Action Camera Accessory https://amzn.eu/d/d0MIo3q

have you ever used it? What is your experience?

my first try:) without lens guards yet. @Looper gave me a feedback to use a shorter stick. Thank you for it, definitely i use it next time.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

L

1 hour ago, DP1011 , Deepak wrangler said:

I would deftly recommend a spare battery ( as done to me by Looper)! 

I have one spare battery. First battery lasts about an hour or so with intermittent use. I can usually charge the first battery to the brim while the 2nd one is being used. I sometimes think I should have had just one more just to be safe, but it has always worked.

last I checked batteries were not available on Amazon and needed to get at least 3 for free delivery from insta360 as I can’t add other accessories plus batteries in one order. (They have a minimum order of USD 126 to qualify for free shipping). May be we can bulk order if needed together.

I have seen that insta360 is coming up with a new GPS remote. The previous remotes did not have good reviews - will wait a bit to see if it’s worth buying. In my last drive I drained my phone listening to songs the night before and couldn’t record much. (Al Qu’aa - Find My Phone drive) felt the need of a remote. 

I don’t use the GPS location data for my videos anyways. It’s a  extra step and for the 10-15 min video the way I like to process the results are not appealing. But it would be useful for shorts. Unlike Go Pro where the editing software layers the telemetry on the video- you need to use 3rd party apps. Done that but did not use.

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

1 hour ago, Jaro Tuzinsky said:

Lens Guards for Insta360 X3, Transparent Protective Case for Insta 360 ONE X3 Panoramic Action Camera Accessory https://amzn.eu/d/d0MIo3q

Insta 360 X2 had a premium lens guard which was removeable (USD 44) but they have not come out for X3 - so it would be interesting to see how it works. Will wait for user reviews of other uses before going in for this one. 

The lens guard is most important for all the sand that keeps hitting the camera. I always mount the screen side facing back so that it won't get scratched. There is a scratch on my lens guard already and you will be able to notice in a few of the videos.

• Like (+1) 2

It could be a good option for Timelapse or Starburst where you wound need good stable base

• Like (+1) 2

• 8 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, Looper said:

GPS Smart Remote: I considered it but did not buy it as I saw many complaints that it provided patchy GPS data to the footage. Your phone will do a better job.

While leading drives fiddling with the phone became too cumbersome to use the action camera, hence I bit the bullet and bought the second generation GPS remote. This post acts to update my recommendation on the same.

I want to update my recommendation here to Buy for the GPS remote if you can afford it. I have seen it being sold at AED 318 on amazon. If you are buying new from Insta360 directly you can add to the shopping cart there to save on the shipping.

In the past I had recorded GPS data using my phone when I used to use it as the remote. The data was wrong and all over the place, so much so that I completely disabled recording GPS data.

One more benefit I see is, it stays connected to the camera all the time so you can start stop recording whenever you want. With the phone as the remote, if you have used the phone for anything else it would disconnect and sometimes it becomes difficult to connect again.

GPS remote connects with the camera in about 5-10 seconds and stays connected till the battery lasts. The remote needs to be near to the camera for the first connection and it stays in connection upto 20 m they say. This I learnt the hard way when in the Badayer drive I set it up on the mount and started to drive, hoping it will connect, but it did not. I had to go near the action camera when we stopped to some weird comments from the convoy as to what I was doing. 😆

The remote shows the battery status for both the camera and the remote. You can circle though the various shooting modes, but it does not go into Video HDR mode in the remote but if activated in the camera it will show and record in that mode. It also shows the time recorded. It comes with a couple of bands, one for wrist and other for a cycle handle bar. The battery for the GPS remote seem to last for 5-6 h ours more than enough for a drive.

I have asked the Insta360 guys and they have told me that upto 3 cameras can be connected and activated simultaneously with this remote. I will try to test it when I can and update here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

17 hours ago, Looper said:

While leading drives fiddling with the phone became too cumbersome to use the action camera, hence I bit the bullet and bought the second generation GPS remote. This post acts to update my recommendation on the same.

I want to update my recommendation here to Buy for the GPS remote if you can afford it. I have seen it being sold at AED 318 on amazon. If you are buying new from Insta360 directly you can add to the shopping cart there to save on the shipping.

In the past I had recorded GPS data using my phone when I used to use it as the remote. The data was wrong and all over the place, so much so that I completely disabled recording GPS data.

One more benefit I see is, it stays connected to the camera all the time so you can start stop recording whenever you want. With the phone as the remote, if you have used the phone for anything else it would disconnect and sometimes it becomes difficult to connect again.

GPS remote connects with the camera in about 5-10 seconds and stays connected till the battery lasts. The remote needs to be near to the camera for the first connection and it stays in connection upto 20 m they say. This I learnt the hard way when in the Badayer drive I set it up on the mount and started to drive, hoping it will connect, but it did not. I had to go near the action camera when we stopped to some weird comments from the convoy as to what I was doing. 😆

The remote shows the battery status for both the camera and the remote. You can circle though the various shooting modes, but it does not go into Video HDR mode in the remote but if activated in the camera it will show and record in that mode. It also shows the time recorded. It comes with a couple of bands, one for wrist and other for a cycle handle bar. The battery for the GPS remote seem to last for 5-6 h ours more than enough for a drive.

I have asked the Insta360 guys and they have told me that upto 3 cameras can be connected and activated simultaneously with this remote. I will try to test it when I can and update here.

awesome..
Ive taken the 360 cam out a few times but its a lot of effort trying to connect and reconnect via the phone...

Might have to invest in one of these!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

18 hours ago, Looper said:

@Looper thanks for confirming the above. i ordered my GPS remote koz it is painful to try to drive, navigate, and activate the mobile/x3 from the mobile at the same time.

will test it (when i receive it) in coming weeks, when the weather is more user-friendly to my x3

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use