•  

Afternoon Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Highway Star (The Deep Purple Series) - Dubai - 2 Nov 2022

Ale Vallecchi

We request every member that joins this drive to go through the below information and strictly follow these guidelines, etiquettes and responsibilities.

MUST READ AND COMPLY

DRIVE DETAILS

Level:  Fewbie Plus and above

When:  2 November 2022, Wednesday

Meeting time:  3:00 PM - Sharp (Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Al 'Ajban
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rkixq8mmRkm74ce46

Action Plan:  Second installment of the Deep Purple Series, for experienced Fewbie Plus who are seeking to move up to Intermediate level, and above ranked drivers. Speed, once again, will be the main theme, moving fast along E14 (hence the highway theme), from the National Gard's barracks, just east of Ghantoot, to Faqa, or as close to it as we'll manage to get. Two segments of 1 hour each, for a 2 hour fast paced drive, before exiting.

Approximate finish time: 5:30 PM

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Mandatory off-road gears: Tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, compressor, walkie-talkie radio, off-road flag, shovel, first-aid kit and fire extinguisher.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE

• This drive is limited to 8 cars only. RSVP will close on Wednesday - 12 PM.
  • If the RSVP is full, you can add your name to the waitlist, once anyone drops, you will be moved to the RSVP list.
  • RSVP will close a day prior to preparing a convoy list.
  • Latecomers will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Krishna R said:

@Ale VallecchiClicked manage by mistake, Apologies!

@Krishna R, you can just click "Leave Event" and re-join under "Going" instead. Since this is a weekday drive, the weekly single-drive limit is not enforced and there are still plenty of spots remaining.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Dear Desertnauts

a quick memo for tomorrow's Speed King drive. 

Meeting Point - Just at the end of the tarmac road in front of the National Guard's barracks. We'll cross a construction area to enter the sabkha just beyond. Kindly reach in time to make sure we leave as close to 3:00 PM as possible. Please notice that the last bit of road to reach the meeting point is in Abu Dhabi, where speed limits are monitored differently than Dubai. Watch out (only start speeding once on the sand! 😅)

Planned itinerary - After a short detour north-west, toward the Oryx farms, we'll double back toward the fenced in shooting range, which we'll coast along its fence to reach Little Sweihan. We plan to cross this higher and tighter area of dune going east, to reach the sabkhas and technical dunes that separate it from Faqa's plateau. If we'll have time left on the 2-hour clock, with enough sunlight ahead of us, we'll look to exit at Faqa. If not, we'll head up to Solar Park. The goal is a high-speed drive, so we'll not spend time looping around dunes, but we'll just cut through them, as quickly as possible.

Convoy order - We'll line up as follows

@Ignacio Quindós in Second Lead

@Ashutosh Garg at #3

@Jessica Lambert at #4

@Fabien Monleau in the Center

@Senthil Kumar in #6

@Sunil Mathew at #7

@Beide Worku #8, and 

@Pacific in Sweep

Radio frequency - to be chosen before setting off.

See you all tomorrow, with your stereos ready to crank some gool old school hard rock!

• Like (+1) 5

Highway Star (Deep Purple Series) - Drive Report

"Nobody gonna beat my car / It's gonna break the speed of sound" - Deep Purple

While I usually post the drive's stats at the end, this time let's begin with them: 76.3 Km driven in 2:14 minutes, with only 14 minutes of stoppage, and a moving average speed of 38 Km/h (34 Km/h total)

Great performance by the convoy, with virtually no stucks, a few refusals, and excellent execution and concentration.

Nice variety of terrains, ranging from the low, long-range dunes of Ghantoot, to the high, taller dunes and deeper bowls of Little Sweihan, and the final rush across Faqa's plateau. A couple of elements allowed for a slightly faster pace than the previous Deep Purple drive: the sand track along the Army Shooting ground, and the crossing of the couple of sabkhas that separate Little Sweihan from Faqa. A couple more factors demanded a slower pace than the previous drive: a longer convoy, and the tricky crossing of Little Sweihan (more challenging than Qudra's quadrant, yet immaculately completed). All things considered, these factors evened themselves out, and allowed for a slightly faster moving speed, while keeping the same total average moving speed of the previous outing.

I'd like to thank @Ignacio Quindós for his perfect Second Lead, @Fabien Monleau for centering the convoy, @Pacific for his sweep, as well as @Ashutosh Garg, @Jessica Lambert, @Senthil Kumar and @Beide Worku for taking time in the middle of the week to join these adrenaline packed drives. My gratitude to all of them, and to the other participants of the previous (and future) Deep Purple series ( @Haitham Khattab, @KAMALIO and @JeromeFJ) for giving me the opportunity to go back in time to my hard-rock years, and rediscover and savor the amazing performances of this talented band, which have made the history of heavy metal. 

See you all (and more) soon, for the next installment of the Deep Purple series: BURN!!

Have a great week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Thanks @Ale Vallecchi for the beautiful drive. A nice mixture of speed, technical dunes and some challenging areas on the way. 

Unfortunately I cannot make the next deep purple drive due to work, but will definitely look forward to doing more of these drives soon. 

As always a pleasure to drive with all of you and see you soon!

P.S: I posted some pictures in the gallery 📸! @Jessica Lambert This one below is for you!

image.jpeg

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Ignacio Quindós said:

Thanks @Ale Vallecchi for the beautiful drive. A nice mixture of speed, technical dunes and some challenging areas on the way. 

Unfortunately I cannot make the next deep purple drive due to work, but will definitely look forward to doing more of these drives soon. 

As always a pleasure to drive with all of you and see you soon!

P.S: I posted some pictures in the gallery 📸! @Jessica Lambert This one below is for you!

image.jpeg

Thank you so much!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use