•  

Full Day Newbie Desert Drive - Liwa Yellow Truck - Abu Dhabi - 02 Dec 2022

Frederic

Hey Frederic,

Great! should I join the Newbie or Fewbie drive? 

Am thinking to camp the night before and bring the family (wife and 8 year old son), do you know if many people are camping?

Just confirming fuel wise, I have 98L tank, that OK, or should I bring some extra fuel too just in case ;-)

Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

Hey all, just thought I’d mention that I’m planning on camping also the night before the drive near the meeting location. I think there might be a few people up for this @Nicholas Cox1 @Srikumar. I’ll be alone as the wife has to work on Friday. 

36 minutes ago, Nicholas Cox1 said:

Hey Frederic,

Am thinking to camp the night before and bring the family (wife and 8 year old son), do you know if many people are camping?

Just confirming fuel wise, I have 98L tank, that OK, or should I bring some extra fuel too just in case ;-)

Thanks

I would be camping the night of the 1st. Will be bringing my 8 year old son as well...

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nicholas Cox1 said:

Hey Frederic,

Thanks

You’re currently at Newbie level so you’ll have to do with Sri and me 😜

• Haha (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Nicholas Cox1 said:

have 98L tank, that OK, or should I bring some extra fuel too just in case ;-)

The 100L guidance is a good outer limit, but every car consumes fuel differently. For example, my VTC is one thirsty lady and if I add any extra weight such as camping gear and additional passengers, not to mention my rather portly belly, all of these also reduce fuel efficiency. To add to this, I’ve heard that @Srikumar’s off-road Cafu service is quite exorbitant so plan an extra can if you have a thirsty lady like me.

P.S. please don’t tell your spouse that their presence reduces fuel efficiency. It’s bound to have larger ramifications.

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, munkybizness said:

The 100L guidance is a good outer limit, but every car consumes fuel differently. For example, my VTC is one thirsty lady and if I add any extra weight such as camping gear and additional passengers, not to mention my rather portly belly, all of these also reduce fuel efficiency. To add to this, I’ve heard that @Srikumar’s off-road Cafu service is quite exorbitant so plan an extra can if you can.

P.S. please don’t tell your spouse that their presence reduces fuel efficiency. It’s bound to have larger ramifications.

Mayank, I have no idea how you get away with such smart remarks, you must have 9 lives like a cat, oh no you are in the monkey business 😎. But on another note can we assume all Nissan’s are thirsty? And @Srikumarcan I take a subscription! 

@Frederic I am taking 100 liter along, I don’t think I need so much especially after @munkybiznessremarks but I am more then willing to share my petrol as the day comes along. Excited about Liwa!

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, premindra rajaram said:

Mayank, I have no idea how you get away with such smart remarks

Some people are book-smart. Some are street-smart. I'm forum-smart. One of these days, my digital identity is going to catch up to me...

I don't have the exact stats but I think I last remembered that Xterra's VQ40 is about 21% more fuel efficient than the Patrol's TB48, so you shouldn't need more than a 100L...

• Haha (+1) 3

Hi everyone.

I'm currently planning on camping at the meeting point also. As @Srikumar and @Nicholas Cox1 are also bringing little ones, I will try and convince 8 & 9 y/o daughters to join. When are people aiming to be at the camping site?

As for car, I have a stock FJ 2021. IIRC, it has a 150L+ fuel capacity and wife is not joining as she has work. So I should be good 😆

• Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Me and Fredy are planning to be there by 6 pm.

There are a few others who would also be joining. 

As of now the plan is to camp on the right side of the meeting point. It's a flat surface, but you would have to deflate a bit else you would get stuck.

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2ha5yLUm5FmYh5aEA

It's a pretty big area so we can easily spread out, and also would help if you wish to make an early morning dash to ADNOC.

Regarding bringing kids, hope they would be comfortable on a day long drive. As Fred mentioned, once we enter the only way out is from the other side.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Me and Fredy are planning to be there by 6 pm.

There are a few others who would also be joining. 

As of now the plan is to camp on the right side of the meeting point. It's a flat surface, but you would have to deflate a bit else you would get stuck.

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2ha5yLUm5FmYh5aEA

It's a pretty big area so we can easily spread out, and also would help if you wish to make an early morning dash to ADNOC.

Regarding bringing kids, hope they would be comfortable on a day long drive. As Fred mentioned, once we enter the only way out is from the other side.

Thanks for the heads up! Family and I have been doing the desert camping and driving before - this is our 4th season starting. We haven't been on such a long drive like this before, but we have an idea of what to expect - which is why I wrote "try to convince". They know what they are getting into ;-) 

Important Information

Terms of use