•  

Intermediate Desert Drive - Sweihan Adventures - Abu Dhabi - 11 Dec 2022

GauravSoni

28 minutes ago, Imteeaz said:

What an amazing drive to end the weekend.

@GauravSoni  Though it may be your 1st lead in Sweihan, you never hesitated to push all of us to follow your tracks.  I have seen so many YouTube vids on off-roading in Sweihan; I believe that now we can post our vids (c/w @Waqas Parvez) to show our speed trails in the desert.  Keep it up mate.

You were very good at climbing the dunes, and then make these sharps turns while keeping full throttle - I need to work on this technique specially with my Y61.

@Waqas Parvez  We all need the confident SL to take us safely in and out of the desert - hats off mate.

@Amr Aydin  Keep up the great drive with the JL.

@Haitham Khattab Amazing drive as usual mate

@Ashutosh Garg  You drove well for your IM drive in Sweihan - you seem to have mastered the Xterra.

@ASAD.  Solid CF mate; you kept the convoy together and moving at all times

@Senthil Kumar  JK - no issues at all in the sand

@Anoop Nair  You really pushed the Jeep for couple of looping you had to do (same like me)

@Zed  Amazing V8 you have mate - I followed your tracks (at least I tried) all the time (except when i got the pop-out)

@Mario Cornejo  With the tuned stock Y61, there was no limit as to what you could do in the sand - I enjoy watching you climb those dunes.

Other than my pop-out, which now I realise I could have avoided if only I had taken the decision not to try to criss-cross while my car was not keen to do so, I enjoyed the drive led by our superhero@GauravSoni

On a separate note, I will see you guys in the sand after 2 weeks as I will be going for a pilgrimage in KSA.

Regards

Wish you a successful pilgrimage 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Imteeaz said:

I will be going for a pilgrimage in KSA.

you mean for umrah 

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Imteeaz said:

You were very good at climbing the dunes, and then make these sharps turns while keeping full throttle - I need to work on this technique specially with my Y61.

Hi @Imteeaz, thanks for your appreciation… however this is one thing i NEVER DO! Full throttle while taking sharp turn is the perfect recipe for a Pop out.. 

you can play with your throttle while doing long Sidey, or a twisting ridge or a climb, BUT while doing sharp turn while coming off a ridge or while getting on a ridge after I climb, I let go of my gas and use momentum to complete the maneuver…

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

5 minutes ago, M.Seidam said:

you mean for umrah 

Yes Doc

4 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

Hi @Imteeaz, thanks for your appreciation… however this is one thing i NEVER DO! Full throttle while taking sharp turn is the perfect recipe for a Pop out.. 

you can play with your throttle while doing long Sidey, or a twisting ridge or a climb, BUT while doing sharp turn while coming off a ridge or while getting on a ridge after I climb, I let go of my gas and use momentum to complete the maneuver…

Noted @GauravSoni  thanks for the advice

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, GauravSoni said:

Trip report:

Thankyou all

@Haitham Khattab @Imteeaz @Amr Aydin @Ashutosh Garg @Senthil Kumar @Anoop Nair @Zed @Waqas Parvez @ASAD. for joining me in my exploration of the Majestic dunes of Sweihan. 

we had a super strong convoy, thus we decided the convoy order during the quick brefing and the drive started around 8 and we went "Ready Set GO!! right from the start.. I was doing the speed and Maneuvers which i felt comfortable with and the you guys responded superbly as expected.. 

After warming up our engines and waking up to the beautiful climbs and criss crosses near the start point area, we made our way pointing towards Nagra Hill. 

We met a few convoys on our way and decided to explore the area south of the famous hill and eventually loop back to it.

At times, i raised the level of the drive and was so happy to see you guys conquering every dune on the way with a single crest stuck of @ASAD. which was recovered well by the team and no refusals. 

We reached Nagra through a dirt track as its was risky to take the dunes which were covered with broken fences. 

It was super fun to find the right line to make our attempt at Climbing the hill from the slip face. We had our heart filled with joy with multiple attempts with @Haitham Khattab being the TOP DOG with @Mario Cornejoa very close second!

on another note, it was heartachingly sad to see all the trash/ plastic bottles lying around the area. It just shows how inhumane and uneducated people can be when no one is watching. 

we looped towards the back side of Nagra to make our attempts on the a beautiful ridge followed by the long climb, meandering through to find ourselves on the Top with a huge drop on the slip face.

It was getting late and we decided to exit to the nearest tracks  enjoying few last dunes on our way. at this time, @Imteeaz and @Ashutosh Garg has simultaneous pop outs on the front passenger tire which was fixed fast. 

Brilliant display of skills to recover @Ashutosh Garg X , which got stuck after fixing the Popout by @Waqas Parvez. You passed 100/100 in practical buddy after your recovery class not less than 24 hours before!

We made our way to the exit through a long drive on the dirt track to close the drive at 12.15 PM.

Key learnings from this drive for all:

1. Always follow the line of the car in front of You. 

2. Being intermediates, we need to learn to trust the car in front while maintaining distance to expect the worse. 

3. Never self route to the next dunes away from the track taken during looping unless you have clear visibility. 

4. Never fight gravity and correct fishtail as soon as it happens. 

5. Always carry necessary off-road equipment's like Compressors, proper designed Jacks and tools.

Special Shoutout to @Ashutosh Garg for his First IM in such a challenging terrain. We all learn from experience and correct them in next drive. I hope you have emerged wiser!! 

Thanks @Waqas Parvez for the SL ,@ASAD. for the anchoring the convoy in center with @Mario Cornejo keeping teh convoy intact at sweep. 

@Amr Aydin @Haitham Khattab @Zed  @Anoop Nair @Senthil Kumari am sure you guys enjoyed the drive as i had no sound from your radios!

Until Next time! see you all in sand!

im waiting @GauravSoni to join ur convoy 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use