•  
Advertise here

Downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear in tiptronic

Hi everyone, how do you manage to downshift from 2nd to 1st gear during a climb to preserve the momentum? 
Whenever I climb a hill in 2nd gear and trying to downshift  to 1st gear, it wont shift until the car slowed down or almost stoped 😆

Dont remember exact rpm when I tried to dowshift, but it was arround between 3k-2k rpm according to sound

Looking couriously forward to any solving 😉

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

cause is simple, downshifting from 2nd 4k rpm without reducing speech will reach above 7k rpm on 1st gear I dont know the max rpm 3.8 engine can handle, but that is definitely beyond red line and not safe for the engine, and gear box doesnt allow it to happen. This applies to all AT cars I suppose, at least on AT pathfinder prado FJ that I know

The reason why you asking is to know how to climb higher, I am sure @GauravSoni can give you good answer on this. Seen he doing some wonders in Quaa with 3.8

What I do is I pull maximum speed on 2nd gear that the terrain and suspension allow me to before climbing, and this speed must be well beyongd 4k rpm (maximum torque on engine) and floor the pedal to climb. 

Otherwise floor the hell out of 1st from start, 

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

I have the same issue too. I reduce the acceleration a bit and then downshift to 1 which sounds odd to many who noticed me doing it at the YT few days ago 😂.

Sometimes I just shift to 1 just before the climb and floor it until I start losing momentum and turn back.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1