•  

Intermediate+ Desert Drive - Al Quaa - Abu Dhabi - 17 Dec 2022

GauravSoni

Job done!

We took off to the sand, warmed up for a while and moved on to attack ridges, bowls and steep climbs, but the desert and terrains like Al Qua'a demand concentration and attention to details. We had a fair share of fun as well as learnings in this drive, and in my opinion it is a good combination to become better at this sport we all love in this community.

@GauravSoni thank you, once again, for leading a great drive. The plan you devised to rescue the car from that bowl was executed to perfection, lessons learnt: discuss with the actors, take time to plan the route, proceed to a dry run and scout of the route itself, pay attention to details, and most of all keep a positive mind.  I, for one, doubted as I had seen a somewhat similar situation back in YT'21 drive, but we did it!

@Looper, @ASAD. , @munkybizness, @Zixuan Huang - Charlie, @Anoop Nair, always a pleasure to meet you all and looking forward to future drives!

If we don't see each other in the next couple of weeks, I take this opportunity to wish you all a happy holidays and an exciting and blessed New Year 2023.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

5 hours ago, munkybizness said:

It'd been just a week over six months since I'd done an Intermediate drive. Travel has kept me away from the sand for the past many months but I wanted to get back out there, at the peak of it all. After the past two weeks of sickness and revelry, the opportunity finally came in the form of an Intermediate "Plus" with @GauravSoni. The fact that I even made the cut to be on this drive is pure luck since Gaurav had set very stringent conditions for those who would join him on this foray. To say I was nervous more than excited, would be an understatement.

I also did myself no favours arriving very late at the meeting point the night before, just in time to say my hellos, see my lightweight chair collapse in the sand under my weight, the last embers of firewood turning grey and a furry little golden rodent giving Gaurav & @Looper ample entertainment. In some ways, I'm happy that I didn't have more time to immerse myself in Al Qua'a before my drive. The unexpected remained unknown and the way the campsite was setup, the dunes seemed distant and uncharted. It helped calm my nerves. Unlike the Liwa Crescent Crossing from February this year where we camped smack in the middle between large walls of dunes, Al Qua'a fools you into thinking that its dunes are less noteworthy. Its reputation and legacy here within @Carnity and beyond will tell you otherwise. I would never underestimate this terrain, especially not when in the company of some of the finest drivers in this club and a drive carrying a "plus" grading on the highest level. This was going to be a challenge.

It is perhaps because of this reason, that even after putting down my gym mat and sleeping bag in the back of my car, with the faint red-light of my lamp illuminating the inside of the cabin that I couldn't immediately fall asleep at 2am. For thirty minutes, I just revelled in the silence, listening to my breaths finding equilibrium with the stillness of my surroundings. Soon after I fell asleep. I arose at 5am and realising that it was still dark out, and I was already at the start point, I pulled the schoolboy trick to add another hour to the mental tank. I would need it later.

At 5.57am, my excited nervousness overcame any fatigue and I woke up to dress for the day. As the horizon turned violet from indigo, to pink, and back to violet, and back to pink again, the magic of the moment washed away the fear of what was to come. I can only imagine what was going through the minds of @ASAD., @Looper and @GauravSoni. Elsewhere, in the distance I could see the dusty yellow Wrangler of @Anoop Nair and the beastly looking Y61 of @Mario Cornejo arriving at the road exit. The moment was upon us. I lit up my stove, and just as the sun's golden hue began to change the horizon, my gooseneck kettle began to hiss. The boiling water and the caffeine it blended into were the perfect metaphor for what was going on within my heart - my mind was racing, the heartbeat quickening and the excitement reaching a fever pitch. With the caffeine washed down, some semolina stuffed in, the recovery gear ratcheted down and the radio brought to life, we headed out to join up the convoy.

As the newest member in this terrain I was put up front and I'm thankful for it, definitely more thankful than @Anoop Nair who had to follow me. My rusty joints and slowly rebooting memory would give him a lot to anticipate. Many of his refusals came as a direct result of my being unable to keep the momentum up the warmup session. The warm up session was also the first to claim @Zixuan Huang - Charlie in a stuck on a steep slip face but amply recovered by the gents in the back. Over the radio, we heard crackles of air seeping out and this deflation would further deflate us too, but fortunately it was just a momentary issue and quickly resolved.

With this minor moment behind us, we set out again, to find some of the most glorious bowls and ridges to cross over. As my confidence began to rise, I also began to experiment with my gearing. Some times I got it right, some times I got it very wrong. But I'm glad that I'm more wiser for it now. Al Qua'a required that I pull every trick, every little nugget of knowledge in my experience and every experiment I ever wanted to conduct out into the open and in direct view. There was no time to prepare - it was now and do. I however, had excellent advice from all quarters. And just as I was beginning to feel a little confident, up on top of a ridge, I slipped off to the right on a little step and I heard the loud sound of air escaping from my front right tyre. I had just gotten a pop-out. Thirty minutes of repairs later, my wheel was back on. The time it had cost the convoy was a lot more. I could see how both Gaurav's plans were falling apart as I contributed in helping them unravel.

When you've had a pop-out, you tend to worry a little immediately after. You get a little more cautious. You brake a little sooner. It takes a while to lose that nagging voice to act more carefully. In a particularly tricky climb, no matter how many times I tried I could just not make it up. It reminded me of this moment many months ago from a drive with Hisham in Area 53 where no matter how hard I tried, I just could not make it over. My heart began to sink and I began to beat myself up. In moments like these, having the experience of over seventy drives, one part of you is critical for letting yourself down while the other is critical for letting down the wider convoy. Here were six other drivers who'd also driven long distances to be here and I was letting them down. It is exactly when these thoughts were making a house in my head that @GauravSoni showed up next to me. He took me up to the starting line and coached me exactly through the line and gearing required. His calm and collected advice would help me cross over, where I continued to take the incorrect line once again but his impatience (even if he was feeling it) never shown through. For this, thank you Gaurav. And thank you all. It is the sole reason why I feel so comfortable to be among people like yourselves.

With these slowdowns behind us, we set off once again to the sabkha on the opposite end of where we'd started. And it is always in these final runs when you see a convoy find new pace. We were running through technical sections that were almost five times taller than the twisties of Lisailli. Such is the scale of Al Qua'a. With the afternoon sun beating down on us, we began to make our way to the exit, and this is when we realized that the excitement of the terrain had led to Gaurav not turning on his extra fan and Charlie began to hear a flapping sound from his crank. While Gaurav's issue was quickly resolved with water and time, Charlie's turned out to be a lot more serious. At the base of the bowl, we had to climb pretty high up to exit out. With a moment of hope, we set out, and the four cars in the front were racing ahead when we realized that car #5 wasn't following. At this point we stopped, and Anoop, Looper and I stopped up ahead while Gaurav raced back to diagnose the problem. I'm not sure what happened next. As we waited in silence and stared out at the vast sabkha with lime deposits and camel convoys, the radio crackled to life with a "woohoo" and we saw a tandem tug of @ASAD., @Mario Cornejo and @Zixuan Huang - Charlie emerging down the long slope of the dunes into the sabkha. It was a sight to behold. As attested by @Mario Cornejo above, it was also executed to perfection. Remember when I said that I was in the company of the finest drivers in this club. Here was proof again.

I can write a lot more but I will stop here. Some of it needs to remain in my mind. But I want to thank Gaurav for being such an amazing lead. From my first "real" drive with him on Ale's full day exploit in Al Ain to now, he's maturing like a dram of the finest elixirs. His love for the outdoors coupled with his care for his convoy was on full display yesterday. Alongside, a man of numbers and deep experimentation @Looper is this steadfast rock. He is always there, always predictably good, and always the yellow beacon you need when you lose sight. Behind me, @Anoop Nair continues to boggle the mind with what he does in a stock "manual" Wrangler with 245 tyres. If ever you wanted to throw a number at eking out performance from just the barebones, you have it right here.

Further afield, I saw @ASAD.in a new light on this drive. Usually, so bundled with Waqas and Vaibhav, his line, power management and control all had the moment to shine by themselves. He is such a fine driver, an even better human being and a class act. For all the troubles that @Zixuan Huang - Charlie had to bear with his engine, his adventures and mine are quite intertwined. With him in place, I shut off my rear view entirely knowing fully well that his capability in navigating any terrain will bode him over. And of course, I can't leave out @Mario Cornejo who tells the best jokes on Argentinians, has the quietest demeanour but the loudest display of driving and a car that looks like it was designed for the apocalypse.

Thank you all for helping me immerse myself back into the desert, so that I too can close this year out knowing I finally did Al Qua'a. If I don't see you soon, I wish you all the warmest greetings of the season and lots of outdoors in the year to come.

[  🐵  ]

@munkybizness unfortunately i had to skip this drive, but reading what you have written feels like i have been part of it... keep it up buddy 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Wonderful write up as always @munkybizness. This time it seems extra special, kudos to you, amazing!

When @GauravSoni tells you over the radio ' something interesting is happening over here', you can be assured that it is something extra ordinary. This is how he described the extreme recovery with such calm demeaner and assuredness to us who was waiting at the subka !. Like it was another pop out and we were astonished at seeing what has emerged out of the dunes- 2 cars pulling the dead car through the tall dunes and technical patch.

It was my first outing at Qua. One thing assured me going to such distant and difficult terrain is Gaurav's as well as other @Carnity lead's 'no car left behind' attitude. Thank you @GauravSoni.

On the drive itself, the terrain and company were fantastic as usual and the 3.5 hr drive from Dubai was absolutely worth it even though like @munkybizness mentioned I felt like sometimes I was letting down Gaurav and the team who made the best laid plan for that day. But retrospectively, things not going according to plan is also part of the fun. Many of the drives I greatly and fondly remember are the one's which did not go according to the original plan.

Thanks @GauravSoniagain for a fantastic day spent on sand. thanks @Looperbeing the pillar of rock in the convoy (in fact I could n't believe that @Looper was not recording the drive on Gaia, such is the assuredness associated with him to do things correctly). @Mario Cornejo for the calm assured leadership, he brings to any drive. @ASAD. I have been driving with you for some time now and it's really remarkable how you have grown with your skill set but moreover, the calmness and other associated skills. Really well-done buddy. Thanks @munkybizness for the interesting perspective you bring to the drive. @Zixuan Huang - Charlie hope your car is ok and can be sorted out quickly. All in all, great company and great stories for such a long trip.

Thank you all for all the shovelling during the crest and encouragement at the bowl. thanks @GauravSoni for helping me with the gear selection advise and these drives are really helping me to figure out what works for me and the car.

If we do not meet before the new year, have a fantastic Christmas and New year ahead. May the new year bring new adventures and happiness.

Cheers to all, until next time....  

Edited by Anoop Nair
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Important Information

Terms of use