•  

Morning Intermediate " Limited" Desert Drive - Al Wagan - Abudhabi - 8 Jan 2023

M.Seidam

Dear “ Pajero bowl “ team 

@Ranjan Das @Imteeaz @MMansoor @Zed

We all definitely now had the experience of it ( for me it’s first time in Al wagan as well as in PB 😅 ) . Please have a look at this clip and the purpose is to think about the geometry of the bowl and best exit point with least  centripetal force which tends to throw you off the ridge . 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Imteeaz @MMansoor@Ranjan Das and @Zed 
From the dash cam ( the part what no one sow when I crossed the ridge ) 

Open the you tube to see it clear 

please share your comments and query. This is the way how we learn it better for us and others . 

• WOW (+2) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

On 1/10/2023 at 7:34 AM, M.Seidam said:

@Imteeaz @MMansoor@Ranjan Das and @Zed 
From the dash cam ( the part what no one sow when I crossed the ridge ) 

please share your comments and query. This is the way how we learn it better for us and others . 

Hi Doc @M.Seidam, the good thing is it was an Intermediate Drive with every driver having more than 10 IM drives, so even though each driver has a different moment, everyone had that muscle & memory reflect on what to do to overcome that split-seconds situation. My notes on your 2 videos are:

At time-mark 3:15:19 >> you hit the bush and started bumping up & down, though amazingly maintained 54 km/h speed to keep the momentum and correctly calculated you can still make it to the top instead of going down and re-trying.

At time-mark 3:15:27 >> you started switching and the 2 photos below explain yours & @Ranjan Das's different approaches:

1.jpg.5a829f4a0ed1708ebc881845bae6e712.jpg2.jpg.f22deb5a96748b7ff46cbecd9a50ca4b.jpg

To explain this, I will borrow from @Frederic's great article here >> https://carnity.com/forums/topic/15114-how-to-read-sand-dunes-formation-and-texture/ 

I've annotated Fred's diagram here:

PB_switch.png.60c25c59aff19f75b80d4aaa0f74a0ae.png

Doc @M.Seidam like he explained "there's a bit of turn when you go up" as he exited when the lip is at the start of Concave, while second lead @Ranjan Das corrected the example by going a bit further then exiting for a smoother switching. However, since the Convex side is harder than the Concave like Fred explained in his article, exiting down on the Convex side provides more traction and easier to control, just like Doc said that he made it out ok.

I wish I still have my drone cos this would be an awesome footage of exiting bowl 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 5

Brilliant explanation @Zed… when I watch docs dashcam footage and then the footage from your vantage, I believe that docs car was at a greater angle to the ridge..I mean that the car wasn’t parallel to the ridge when he reached the crossover point. He corrected the steering to align with the ridge at last moment which resulted in the back going over the other side faster than the front and hence the slip up… it is evident that the ridge came sooner than expected.. (as I see from the dashcam) it was not very clear where the ridge actually starts…

it was pure skill and instinct from docs experience that he corrected the move    Just in time… 👏👏 @M.Seidam

• Totally Agree (+2) 4

@Zed excellent analysis . to add : the best when you switch in double curved dune or circular  dune like the PB always cross the ridge in descend as you can see the line better and distinguish it from overlapping lines from behind. i had no choice when i realized this little curve because simply i was a foot lower in my line. and the momentum brought my X already on the ridge and there was no way to accelerate now or i would have flipped. instead ( as you hear the engine sound from the clip at the last moment ) at the exact moment of my rear slip as you see in your picture the front wheels turned toward the continuous momentum direction in attempt to control , all this happened in my mind and act in split sec. the only fear of mine was an induction of double fish after the correction on the other side but luckily did not happen. thankfully all got the point and got higher than my line to ride the ridge longer and from a higher point to exit safely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

11 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

@Zed you would have the opportunity to re enact the entire scene this weekend where you can bring a black board and explain the entire geometry at site...

Please put me at the back, I just want to take photos, learned from others in front, and enjoy the scenery 😂

• Haha (+1) 4

We have A+ squad this week 😂 @Imteeazexcept for 1 🫣

14 minutes ago, Zed said:

Please put me at the back, I just want to take photos, learned from others in front, and enjoy the scenery 😂

Provided we have commentary in girl’s voice 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

6 minutes ago, Vaibhav said:

We have A+ squad this week 😂 @Imteeazexcept for 1 🫣

Provided we have commentary in girl’s voice 

Haha

Have fun gents - cannot drive another 12 hours this coming weekend. it takes me couple of days to recover.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use