•  
Advertise here

LC200 v6 GXR 2013 Instrument Cluster doesn’t turn on during day time

@MisterPoet - most older cars do not have their LCD displays backlit if the headlights are not on. My 2021 Nissan Patrol Y61 officially ended production in 2016 and then continued in selective countries in the Middle East & Australia. Even though my car is technically from 2021, it hasn't been meaningfully updated in over six years. My LCD cluster also doesn't light up unless I turn on my headlight.

European & North American spec'd cars usually had daytime running lights regulation especially due to inclement weather conditions and pedestrian safety. This meant that many automakers in the European and North American markets would have cars that had light-sensors which would automatically turn on headlights in dark environments. When I lived in the US in 2006, even my Civic had auto-headlights that honestly annoyed the hell out of me because there was just no reason to keep them running when the skies just got a little bit grey. Imagine driving with oncoming headlights throughout the day. Over time, this was replaced by smaller Daytime-running-lights altogether which found a more elegant and less bothersome use of the primary headlight. If you do not have a European or North American spec automobile, the chances of your car having these features in the mid 2000s is unlikely as these regulations did not all come into effect everywhere at the same time.

I've tried to pull an image of a Land Cruiser GXR 2013 from image search, and this is what I've found:

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser in Dubai, United Arab Emirates | TOYOTA LAND  CRUISER GXR V6 2013 FULL OPTION FULL SERVICE HISTORY GCC SPECS

If your cluster looks exactly like this, and you're referring to the little LCD readout that has ODO information on it, this will not turn on during the day unless your headlights are on. There is no defect in your car. 

• Well Done (+2) 1

11 minutes ago, munkybizness said:

@MisterPoet - most older cars do not have their LCD displays backlit if the headlights are not on. My 2021 Nissan Patrol Y61 officially ended production in 2016 and then continued in selective countries in the Middle East & Australia. Even though my car is technically from 2021, it hasn't been meaningfully updated in over six years. My LCD cluster also doesn't light up unless I turn on my headlight.

European & North American spec'd cars usually had daytime running lights regulation especially due to inclement weather conditions and pedestrian safety. This meant that many automakers in the European and North American markets would have cars that had light-sensors which would automatically turn on headlights in dark environments. When I lived in the US in 2006, even my Civic had auto-headlights that honestly annoyed the hell out of me because there was just no reason to keep them running when the skies just got a little bit grey. Imagine driving with oncoming headlights throughout the day. Over time, this was replaced by smaller Daytime-running-lights altogether which found a more elegant and less bothersome use of the primary headlight. If you do not have a European or North American spec automobile, the chances of your car having these features in the mid 2000s is unlikely as these regulations did not all come into effect everywhere at the same time.

I've tried to pull an image of a Land Cruiser GXR 2013 from image search, and this is what I've found:

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser in Dubai, United Arab Emirates | TOYOTA LAND  CRUISER GXR V6 2013 FULL OPTION FULL SERVICE HISTORY GCC SPECS

If your cluster looks exactly like this, and you're referring to the little LCD readout that has ODO information on it, this will not turn on during the day unless your headlights are on. There is no defect in your car. 

@munkybizness it is one of my bug bears about the Y61 and the reason I drive around with my parking lights on so I can see the dash.

3 minutes ago, Bravoecho said:

@munkybizness it is one of my bug bears about the Y61 and the reason I drive around with my parking lights on so I can see the dash.

@Bravoecho How dark is your cabin? There is very little active useful information on my dinky little LCD readout save total ODO, Trip A, Trip B and a clock that my beater Casio is milliseconds more precise at. As for the speedometer, RPM and fuel gauges, they are all inversely designed with white markers and red needles/hands to aid visibility. It might be time to see an ophthalmologist instead if you're squinting at these gauges. 😎

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, munkybizness said:

@Bravoecho How dark is your cabin? There is very little active useful information on my dinky little LCD readout save total ODO, Trip A, Trip B and a clock that my beater Casio is milliseconds more precise at. As for the speedometer, RPM and fuel gauges, they are all inversely designed with white markers and red needles/hands to aid visibility. It might be time to see an ophthalmologist instead if you're squinting at these gauges. 😎

@munkybizness its more about coming from a GX460 with a fully lit dash to the light orange glow of the Y61. The times I find the speedo and tacho hard to read without the dash lights on is at dusk and dawn when you go from looking outside to the dark binacle of the dash inside.

And yes I do wear glasses and should probably get another test 🤣

19 hours ago, munkybizness said:

@munkybizness you are correct - this is the cluster I have in v6 LC200. Thank you for the knowledge share.... I only feel difficulty in under ground parking with low light during day time, otherwise it's fine.... I have seen instrument clusters turning ON on engine start during day time for old Corolla and Accords.... But this was bit of a surprise in LC200 and I thought it could be a problem with my car only. 

• Like (+1) 1