•  

Two Day Intermediate Desert Drive - Liwa Crossing - Abu Dhabi - 21 Jan 2023

GauravSoni

Let's aim to cross the Liwa Crescent from one side to another.

To experience the magic of Rub’ al Khali (Empty Quarter) the largest uninterrupted desert on Earth!

The Liwa Crossing through Empty Quarter offers a chance to witness nature in its purest form and in itself is a transcendent experience. However, traveling through the largest desert in the world is not something that should be taken lightly.

It will be a 150 - 200 km off-road drive covered within 1.5 days through amazing breathtaking views and the enormous size of dunes on earth.

What you will find here:

• Tallest sand dunes (200 - 300 meters)
  • Steepest incline and drops
  • Longest side sloping
  • Broad ridge riding
  • Faster heartbeat
  • Sweaty hands

liwa2020.jpg

Mandatory rules for Liwa Crossing (exceptional) drive.

Considering its seriousness to keep you and your vehicle safe, these strict rules will be applied to all.

• If you are newly promoted to Intermediate (less than 2 drives at new level), then please choose Fewbie or Fewbie Plus. 
  • If you were away on a long break (more than 2 months), then please choose Fewbie or Fewbie Plus.
  • It is highly recommended to drive alone, as it's a very serious and demanding drive to stay focused at all times.
  • Maximum of one passenger allowed - No exceptions and trip lead will send you back.
    • Make sure that passenger has no fear of heights, motion sickness and have been to full-day off-road drives before.
    • As once we enter the desert, the only way out is from the other side, without any early exits for 100-150 kms.
  • Everything in your car should be strapped and secured - All vehicles will be checked by the trip lead.

Drive Preparation: 

• Your car should be in 100% pristine working condition, so double or triple check everything.
  • Full-size spare tire with a lug wrench to match your wheel nut size and its depth.
    • For aftermarket rims - Your lug wrench also needs to match the wheel nut depth.
  • As it's a long full-day drive, so catch up with enough sleep in advance.
  • 5-10 liter of water per person.
  • Snacks for breakfast, lunch, dinner and next day breakfast.
  • Keep your car as light as possible by packing what is truly essential.
  • Fully charged radio with spare battery and all other required off-road gears.
  • Gas tank and required number of jerry cans should be full upon arrival.
  • Last petrol station is ADNOC Khanoor (832): https://goo.gl/maps/FSUzbzURjQRGvFVN9
  • Please ensure you have all proper off-road gear -
    • Safety flag, tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, shovel, fire extinguisher, medical kit, radio (walkie-talkie), air compressor, tool kit, rated recovery rope and 2 rated shackles, GPS.

We request every member that joins this drive to go through the below information and strictly follow these guidelines, etiquettes and responsibilities.

Drive Details

Level:  Intermediate and above

When:  21 Jan 2023, Saturday

Starting time: 7:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Starting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/gzyx4wRN5HBA4fdp8 You can come early and camp at the same starting point if you like.

Last Fuel Station: https://goo.gl/maps/FSUzbzURjQRGvFVN9 ADNOC Khanoor (832)

Fuel requirement:

• 6 Cyl cars = 100 Liter (Minimum) - 120 Liter (for more fuel-guzzling cars)
  • 8 Cyl cars = 120 Liter (Minimum) - 140 Liter (for more fuel-guzzling cars)
  • Carry an additional required number of jerry cans based on your car fuel tank capacity.

Lunch Break: 1 Hour in between with a couple of short breaks (if needed).

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, lunch, snacks, face mask, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 12:00 PM, 22 Jan 2022, Sunday

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 IM and above drivers 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

Please RSVP on Below Calendar:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @Alexanderrr I see that u had your last IM drive in September 2022… I suggest that you reconsider joining the IM drive at Liwa… you could signup for FB+ and enjoy the drive

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad (0) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I will go to FB plus, but if its full, you gotta take me back 😜

In the last 2-3 months , the only IM drives  I was available are the last week with a restriction of a minimum 3 or 4 IM drives and this one . Life is unfair 😄  However, I still did couple of fewbie plus drives with 70% of IM drivers, I think I should be ok, but I am ok with F+ too, as long they will take me 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

@Alexanderrr you can add yourself in the waitlist for the Fewbie + drive.. 

there are always chances of dropouts.. if u don’t have a drive, you can join this one for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

HI @GauravSoni I have added myself to the list of attendees seeing that there is still space, but my schedule for 21/22nd is tentative and may have to travel. Will reconfirm by first half of next week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@GauravSoni and the gang - i have removed myself from this drive unfortunately as i have to attend to my sis coming from Mauritius.

Wish you all an amazing trip, camping and drive - am already missing you guys!

Cheers

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 2

59 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

Dear desert expeditioners/ dune surfers!

@Waqas Parvez @ASAD. @Vaibhav @Sunil Mathew @Anoop Nair @munkybizness @Santoso Marjuki @Mario Cornejo @Imran Kashif @Gaurav

@Dodi Syahdar @Pacific@Ranjan Das
welcome to the Liwa Expeditionary Adventure Drive “LEAD” !

We are all looking forward for this weekend with utmost excitement in anticipation of the thrilling adventure ahead! 
Please ensure that your mean machines are in top condition with any known issues sorted out and tested. 

I advise you all to be properly rested with sound physical and mental preparedness for this drive. Hence i suggested to avoid long drive on Saturday morning from Dubai to meeting point. 

i am planning to reach the starting point around 5 pm (while we still have daylight) on Friday and then find a suitable camping spot.

Hi Anoop, I believe that you would be joining the drive.. 

Hi @GauravSoni 90% yes now, will have a full confirmation by tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 5

Important Information

Terms of use