•  

Two Day Intermediate Desert Drive - Liwa Crossing - Abu Dhabi - 21 Jan 2023

GauravSoni

13 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

Liwa adventure 2023:

This had been one of most awaited drive for the year and brings along the excitement of just being surrounded by the majestic dunes and the ever gasping views of endless desert. 

The drive had all the elements one could expect.. from a slow delayed start due to fog , to long climbs and difficult technical bowls to sweeping slopes to cherish. 
it was all going well until the fateful moment when we heard the radio call of the clutch failure on Anoop’s Jeep at around 2 pm just after the lunch break. (Near waypoint 12)

it was then the drive became a recovery drive led by the legends @Gaurav and @Srikumar…the entire convoy including myself and@Asif Hussain moving to the support team following step by step instructions.. 

after a carefully selected exit route was recced, the Jeep was attached to the ever powerful Raptor and the two started the tango to get out of the tight bowls area…. It was a couple of dunes later, just before the final dune before the exit, the raptor and jeep got stuck climbing a slip face with two steep bowls on either side. 
multiple attempts were made to reposition the cars to have one last go at that stretch but all in vain. The area was just too soft and steep angles. With every attempt, The Jeep started to slipping more into the bowl and after about 5 hours of attempts , it was decided to leave the car and head to the camping spot.

we reached the waypoint 18 around 9.45 pm and the convoy members were finally able to relax and unwind after the long had day. 

The next day, We all gathered our thoughts and decided to take support from the other convoy members who had winches. 

we made our way back to the recovery point around 11:45 am and with renewed spirit and new tools ( extra winches of @Hisham Masaad and @Bjoern) under the watchful eyes and leadership of @Gaurav, began the next phase of recovering what now was being called the “yellow Jeep”.

With car about to rollover while winching, to setting up anchor , to pulling against all physics , the recovery was like a masterclass for all members present. 

After multiple changes in strategies based on what’s working and what’s not, the yellow jeep finally emerged from the bottom of the hellhole and onto the flat patch at around 3:30 pm.

kudos to the entire convoy,

@Gaurav and @Srikumar for leading the recovery, @Dodi Syahdar for the never give up attitude and going thru the sheer physical stress,

@Ranjan Das for the winching on day 1 and day 2. Your machine took a heavy toll for sure.. 

shoveling boys @Waqas Parvez @ASAD. @Pacific @munkybizness @Vaibhav @Ishak @Santoso Marjuki @Tharun Kumar Vyou guys were special without whom the recovery would not have been possible. 
 Special thanks to @Srikumar  for leaving the fb convoy and going through all the pain on day 1 while we attempted the recovery. C

@Tharun Kumar V @Bjoern for showing amazing team spirit and courage to leave your designated drives and join us for the recovery, knowing that it may very well delay them getting back home.

special thanks again to @Hisham Masaad for being instrumental with your contribution in the recovery both physically and mentally. 

thankyou @Sunil Mathew and @Mario Cornejo for being part of this epic drive and I am sure you would have also stayed back on day 2 with the IM convoy had it not been for personal reasons and the car issue.

thankyou all for the brilliant support and m sure this drive will be talked about for not only the tenacity of the team, the complexity of recovery, the leadership, but also for the carmaradire of the convoy and the heartfelt laughter that resonated at the campsite until late night!!

see you all soon in sand.

I am sure you guys had lots of fun and challenging times; I clearly missed an amazing opportunity to be part of this gig.

I believe that the challenges could only reinforce 1 thing - Carnity does not leave anyone behind!

Until the next Liwa drive....

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

1 hour ago, Ishak said:

Can’t wait for for Liwa Crossing 2024 with my YinYang Pajero

By then you will be the ultimate Offroader my friend !

• Like (+1) 7

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 hours ago, GauravSoni said:

Liwa adventure 2023:

This had been one of most awaited drive for the year and brings along the excitement of just being surrounded by the majestic dunes and the ever gasping views of endless desert. 

The drive had all the elements one could expect.. from a slow delayed start due to fog , to long climbs and difficult technical bowls to sweeping slopes to cherish. 
it was all going well until the fateful moment when we heard the radio call of the clutch failure on Anoop’s Jeep at around 2 pm just after the lunch break. (Near waypoint 12)

it was then the drive became a recovery drive led by the legends @Gaurav and @Srikumar…the entire convoy including myself and@Asif Hussain moving to the support team following step by step instructions.. 

after a carefully selected exit route was recced, the Jeep was attached to the ever powerful Raptor and the two started the tango to get out of the tight bowls area…. It was a couple of dunes later, just before the final dune before the exit, the raptor and jeep got stuck climbing a slip face with two steep bowls on either side. 
multiple attempts were made to reposition the cars to have one last go at that stretch but all in vain. The area was just too soft and steep angles. With every attempt, The Jeep started to slipping more into the bowl and after about 5 hours of attempts , it was decided to leave the car and head to the camping spot.

we reached the waypoint 18 around 9.45 pm and the convoy members were finally able to relax and unwind after the long had day. 

The next day, We all gathered our thoughts and decided to take support from the other convoy members who had winches. 

we made our way back to the recovery point around 11:45 am and with renewed spirit and new tools ( extra winches of @Hisham Masaad and @Bjoern) under the watchful eyes and leadership of @Gaurav, began the next phase of recovering what now was being called the “yellow Jeep”.

With car about to rollover while winching, to setting up anchor , to pulling against all physics , the recovery was like a masterclass for all members present. 

After multiple changes in strategies based on what’s working and what’s not, the yellow jeep finally emerged from the bottom of the hellhole and onto the flat patch at around 3:30 pm.

kudos to the entire convoy,

@Gaurav and @Srikumar for leading the recovery, @Dodi Syahdar for the never give up attitude and going thru the sheer physical stress,

@Ranjan Das for the winching on day 1 and day 2. Your machine took a heavy toll for sure.. 

shoveling boys @Waqas Parvez @ASAD. @Pacific @munkybizness @Vaibhav @Ishak @Santoso Marjuki @Tharun Kumar Vyou guys were special without whom the recovery would not have been possible. 
 Special thanks to @Srikumar  for leaving the fb convoy and going through all the pain on day 1 while we attempted the recovery. C

@Tharun Kumar V @Bjoern for showing amazing team spirit and courage to leave your designated drives and join us for the recovery, knowing that it may very well delay them getting back home.

special thanks again to @Hisham Masaad for being instrumental with your contribution in the recovery both physically and mentally. 

thankyou @Sunil Mathew and @Mario Cornejo for being part of this epic drive and I am sure you would have also stayed back on day 2 with the IM convoy had it not been for personal reasons and the car issue.

thankyou all for the brilliant support and m sure this drive will be talked about for not only the tenacity of the team, the complexity of recovery, the leadership, but also for the carmaradire of the convoy and the heartfelt laughter that resonated at the campsite until late night!!

see you all soon in sand.

reading this i could feel what in between the lines from details , i wish i was there but reading the above helped the abstract forming in my vivid imagination ,although iam 100% sure the realitiy was far more challenging mentally and physically and still after all always together solutions can be brought to surface . well done every one and viva Carnity 

• Like (+1) 3

@Anoop Nair in Carnity we are a big huge family. There was no way we could leave anyone. Great minds like @Gaurav @Srikumar @Asif Hussain @Hisham Masaad @GauravSoni made this possible. This was a great experience and learning for everyone present. Hats off to you for sitting in that car in the same angle for more that 4 hours without water and food. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

3 hours ago, Vaibhav said:

@Anoop Nair in Carnity we are a big huge family. There was no way we could leave anyone. Great minds like @Gaurav @Srikumar @Asif Hussain @Hisham Masaad @GauravSoni made this possible. This was a great experience and learning for everyone present. Hats off to you for sitting in that car in the same angle for more that 4 hours without water and food. 

I think he had plenty of food and water to enjoy the front seat on the recovery!! 😂

It would have been a human atrocity to keep him hungry while we enjoyed few snacks here and there!

😂😂😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

the details felt in between the lines now its clear . thank you @Gaurav for your comments about it . was waiting to learn it from you and i did. qudos to every one .  words will allways echo Liwa's dunes :" the Unforgettable yellow jeep "

• Like (+1) 6

10 hours ago, Anoop Nair said:

Another incident to note is that the last pull from raptor has sheared off the cast iron recovery point from the Jeep.

This should remind us all why we always insist on "Three-bolt" recovery tow points as we have seen many factory's tow points fail with two-bolt systems. Two-bolt is acceptable for medium load but will surely fail under extreme stress. 3 or 4 bolt is the way to go.

Btw, the last pull from Raptor was still a medium intensity as Raptor itself was struggling to take the load on the soft patch and still, it broke.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use