•  

Two Day Intermediate Desert Drive - Liwa Crossing - Abu Dhabi - 21 Jan 2023

GauravSoni

9 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

we always insist on "Three-bolt" recovery tow points

Totally agree

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

This should remind us all why we always insist on "Three-bolt" recovery tow points as we have seen many factory's tow points fail with two-bolt systems. Two-bolt is acceptable for medium load but will surely fail under extreme stress. 3 or 4 bolt is the way to go.

Btw, the last pull from Raptor was still a medium intensity as Raptor itself was struggling to take the load on the soft patch and still, it broke.

That single tow hook went through almost 8 hours of tugs and winching bearing heavy load… m glad it didn’t break during the winching… @Anoop Nair please fix two tow points for recovery on the front.. another reason for not so effective pull during the initial stage was absence of a 2nd tow point which could not prevent the car from slipping.. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

That single tow hook went through almost 8 hours of tugs and winching bearing heavy load… m glad it didn’t break during the winching… @Anoop Nair please fix two tow points for recovery on the front.. another reason for not so effective pull during the initial stage was absence of a 2nd tow point which could not prevent the car from slipping.. 

good point 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

This should remind us all why we always insist on "Three-bolt" recovery tow points as we have seen many factory's tow points fail with two-bolt systems. Two-bolt is acceptable for medium load but will surely fail under extreme stress. 3 or 4 bolt is the way to go.

I am not an engineer, just want to share my thought. When I removed the shackle that night before we left to the camp site, I noticed the tow point design is like this

1950576855_towpoint1.jpg.51211ed6488e2c3728e2c80676be2748.jpg I was thinking that after several tug, this tow point will fatigue due to bending load and crack will start from the weakest geometry which is bolt holes. On this car, the bolts are still fine.

compared to this design,

317463842_towpoint2.jpg.9093ecddc06f6c6eab4ac81a525fe2e4.jpg we don't have bending load. Need more load to be able to shear the bolts.

CMIIW. 😁

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Btw, the last pull from Raptor was still a medium intensity as Raptor itself was struggling to take the load on the soft patch and still, it broke.

Thanks @Gaurav for the advice. I have already given the car to add 2 nos of recovery points in the front and back (each). Tomorrow itself I will check with them and ensure that it will be three-bolt tow points as mentioned.

• Like (+1) 5

Wow!! Thanks Gaurav for sharing the details of the experience. Nothing will replace the learning gained by being on site. For people like me who were not there, your explanation does help understand the situation.

Gald to be part of this club where we really root for each other 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Vaibhav said:

@Gaurav @Srikumar @Asif Hussain @GauravSoni @Waqas Parvez @ASAD. @Ranjan Das @Dodi Syahdar @munkybizness @Santoso Marjuki @Pacific @Ishak @Bjoern @Hisham Masaad @Tharun Kumar V @Anoop Nair

I had a pair of soft shackle which was given during the recovery. I got one which was on the line between @Hisham Masaad and @Anoop Nair car. But one is missing. So the other soft shackle is lonely and missing the other soft shackle. If anyone mistakenly has taken it do let me know. Below is the picture of the happy couple .

Well done @Vaibhav to raise the missing shackle report. Im sure we all will check in our cars or recovery gears bag and will help you find it soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav @Srikumar @Asif Hussain @GauravSoni @Waqas Parvez @ASAD. @Ranjan Das @Dodi Syahdar @munkybizness @Santoso Marjuki @Pacific @Ishak @Bjoern @Hisham Masaad @Tharun Kumar V @Anoop Nair

I had a pair of soft shackle which was given during the recovery. I got one which was on the line between @Hisham Masaad and @Anoop Nair car. But one is missing. So the other soft shackle is lonely and missing the other soft shackle. If anyone mistakenly has taken it do let me know. Below is the picture of the happy couple .

image.png.330e32b0fa2ee708280b52412cc20348.png

Poor shackle @Vaibhav. I don’t have in my car. Hope they will meet together soon and live happily ever after.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

So the other soft shackle is lonely and missing the other soft shackle.

Maybe the other one felt suffocated and wanted to break the shackles...

P.S. I don't have it, but good luck bringing them back...

Jaa jee le apni zindagi: Delhi Metro uses DDLJ meme to reply to man wanting  to meet girlfriend | India News | Zee News

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use