•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Camel Trophy: Lisaili Drift - Dubai - 21 Jan 2023

Ale Vallecchi

Camel Trophy - Lisaili Drift: Drive Report

"Run from what's comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live" - Rumi

One thing perhaps members didn't know when they joined this outing was that I usually like to scale my drives up a notch, based on the convoy's performance. The fact that I made the above quote from Rumi's my own and ran from what could have been a comfortable drive, should be a testament to the convoy's behavior during the first part of the drive.

In fact, after a slightly longer briefing, designed to bring the Absolute Newbies up to speed with the required skills and safety elements (and as a reminder to the Newbie members), the first hour or so of the drive went very smoothly, with minimal issues, all quickly solved by the support team of @Simon D and @Patrick van der Loo. Streight crossing of dunes, side sloping, and convoy discipline were excellent, which inspired me to push to convoy to practice ridge riding, and eventually criss-crossing. Both skills were applied at first to very low and humpy dunes, of which Lisaili is well endowed, especially in the area between the pylons and the tight technical stretch heading toward the Solar Tower plant. Clearly, a few refusals and stucks occurred, but nothing that couldn't be used as a learning exercise by the whole convoy. The only moment of apprehension was when a refusal on a ridge very close to the exit was tackled a bit hastily by @Siby, who reversed down the somewhat steep slope at too fast a speed. Surely the mistake was due to the impression the driver had of being deeply stuck (which was not the case), and the lesson learned by the whole convoy was that 1) one exits the car to evaluate the situation, before attempting a self-recovery, and 2) backing down a slope should be done with minimal throttle, and carefully moving perpendicularly, and/or always toward gravity. 

With this in mind, I congratulate the Absolute Newbies @Misha Puskar@GeorgeFJ, @Siby for completing an overall well executed first Carnity drive. My only suggestion, in particular to the FJer's (including @Georges Kazan), understandably shy with engine power, would be to familiarize themselves with the car, which is a powerful and relatively light vehicle, capable of sudden accelerations that will be very useful to tackle climbs, exit soft bowls, and sustaining side sloping and ridge riding, provided the right amount of throttle, and the right choice of gears are practiced, to become second nature with your driving style.

All drivers, including @Klaus Pedersen, @Sajan.S, @Rashid Alseeni, @Ron.P and @rohit kumar, did great, navigating the total of 50.6 Km driven, in 2:11 hours of moving time, at a 23 Km/h average moving speed (in 4:13 total hours and 12 Km/h overall average speed).

Hoping to see you soon again on the sand, I wish you all a great week.

• Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

"Run from what's comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live" - Rumi

One thing perhaps members didn't know when they joined this outing was that I usually like to scale my drives up a notch, based on the convoy's performance. The fact that I made the above quote from Rumi's my own and ran from what could have been a comfortable drive, should be a testament to the convoy's behavior during the first part of the drive.

In fact, after a slightly longer briefing, designed to bring the Absolute Newbies up to speed with the required skills and safety elements (and as a reminder to the Newbie members), the first hour or so of the drive went very smoothly, with minimal issues, all quickly solved by the support team of @Simon D and @Patrick van der Loo. Streight crossing of dunes, side sloping, and convoy discipline were excellent, which inspired me to push to convoy to practice ridge riding, and eventually criss-crossing. Both skills were applied at first to very low and humpy dunes, of which Lisaili is well endowed, especially in the area between the pylons and the tight technical stretch heading toward the Solar Tower plant. Clearly, a few refusals and stucks occurred, but nothing that couldn't be used as a learning exercise by the whole convoy. The only moment of apprehension was when a refusal on a ridge very close to the exit was tackled a but hastily by @Siby, who reversed down the somewhat steep slope at too fast a speed. Surely the mistake was due to the impression the driver had of being deeply stuck (which was not the case), and the lesson learned by the whole convoy was that 1) one exits the car to evaluate the situation, before attempting a self-recovery, and 2) backing down a slope should be done with minimal throttle, and carefully moving perpendicularly, and always toward gravity. 

With this in mind, I congratulate the Absolute Newbies @Misha Puskar@GeorgeFJ, @Siby for completing an overall well executed first Carnity drive. My only suggestion, in particular to the FJer's (including @Georges Kazan), understandably shy with engine power, would be to familiarize themselves with the car, which is a powerful and relatively light vehicle, capable of sudden accelerations that will be very useful to tackle climbs, exit soft bowls, and sustaining side sloping and ridge riding, provided the right amount of throttle, and the right choice of gears are practiced, to become second nature with your driving style.

All drivers, including as @Klaus Pedersen, @Sajan.S, @Rashid Alseeni, @Ron.P and @rohit kumar, did great, navigating the total of 50.6 Km driven, in 2:11 hours of moving time, at a 23 Km/h average moving speed (in 4:13 total hours and 12 Km/h overall average speed).

Thank you Ale for a great morning out. I was very impressed by the briefings. Also a bit of a pleasant surprise were the big boys in the back - the LC’s and the raptor - handling the terrain at all speeds really well!

thanks for having me on the drive as sweep, much appreciated! 

Edited by Patrick van der Loo
  • Well Done (+2) 2

16 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

In fact, after a slightly longer briefing, designed to bring the Absolute Newbies up to speed with the required skills and safety elements (and as a reminder to the Newbie members), the first hour or so of the drive went very smoothly, with minimal issues, all quickly solved by the support team of @Simon D and @Patrick van der Loo. Streight crossing of dunes, side sloping, and convoy discipline were excellent, which inspired me to push to convoy to practice ridge riding, and eventually criss-crossing. Both skills were applied at first to very low and humpy dunes, of which Lisaili is well endowed, especially in the area between the pylons and the tight technical stretch heading toward the Solar Tower plant. Clearly, a few refusals and stucks occurred, but nothing that couldn't be used as a learning exercise by the whole convoy. The only moment of apprehension was when a refusal on a ridge very close to the exit was tackled a but hastily by @Siby, who reversed down the somewhat steep slope at too fast a speed. Surely the mistake was due to the impression the driver had of being deeply stuck (which was not the case), and the lesson learned by the whole convoy was that 1) one exits the car to evaluate the situation, before attempting a self-recovery, and 2) backing down a slope should be done with minimal throttle, and carefully moving perpendicularly, and always toward gravity. 

All drivers, including as @Klaus Pedersen, @Sajan.S, @Rashid Alseeni, @Ron.P and @rohit kumar, did great, navigating the total of 50.6 Km driven, in 2:11 hours of moving time, at a 23 Km/h average moving speed (in 4:13 total hours and 12 Km/h overall average speed).

@Ale Vallecchi the briefing with the small demonstration kept us on track and gave much confidence to ha dle the wheels. Once again thank you for the great lessons and the chamce to get into the dunes and the ridges. 😎👍

Will defnitly see you soon.. 

• Well Done (+2) 2

22 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

@Ale Vallecchi thank you for your advice and calmness following my mistake at the refusal on the ridge. In addition thanks to @Simon Dfor his help recovering my vehicle and pointing out the severity of my mistake. I would also like to thank @Klaus Pedersen for his words of encouragement following the drive as I was feeling terrible at the time.

For some reason I’m very reluctant to use sufficient engine power which led me to a number of refusals and getting stuck which is something I need to work on as I have a cautious nature when driving. 

If you’ll have me, I’d like to join another Newbie drive as soon as I’m back from my work travels. 

• Well Done (+2) 3

2 hours ago, GeorgeFJ said:

@Ale Vallecchi thank you for your advice and calmness following my mistake at the refusal on the ridge. In addition thanks to @Simon Dfor his help recovering my vehicle and pointing out the severity of my mistake. I would also like to thank @Klaus Pedersen for his words of encouragement following the drive as I was feeling terrible at the time.

For some reason I’m very reluctant to use sufficient engine power which led me to a number of refusals and getting stuck which is something I need to work on as I have a cautious nature when driving. 

If you’ll have me, I’d like to join another Newbie drive as soon as I’m back from my work travels. 

Dear @GeorgeFJ, of course you are welcome to sign up for any drive you wish. Carnity's spirit is to train any desert lover, with any car (only 4x4 🤓of course), and not leave anyone behind. Just practice building your own relationships with your car, as if it was your horse to ride and command! You have a very strong ride. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

first, i would like to thanks @Ale Vallecchi for making this drive happen. i would have to say its one of the most enjoyable Newbie drives i ever been part of. it was mix of most type of terrain, pace and difficulty combined with with a nice weather , amazing desert sand together with wonderful people .

every one drove really well it was a pleasure to meet you all ( some of you for the 1st time )  @Klaus Pedersen, @Sajan.S, @Rashid Alseeni, @Ron.P , @rohit kumar, @Misha Puskar@GeorgeFJ, @Siby

I know how you might feel intimidated, ashamed and uncomfortable in some situations like stuck, refusals of certain maneuvers. your heart racing , sweating from everywhere and  million thoughts crossing your mind !! this have happened to the best of us . but, what i would like to state that at  @Carnity family you dont need to feel any of that as we don't judge you for these situations. we all share the love to Nature , Dessert and  off-roading excitement and what makes us even happier is seeing the new members skills and confidence getting better by every drive.

My Advice to all the newbie , get to know our car better ( maybe read the user manual ) check how to engage the diff-lock and 4L , check how to turn off Traction control, ABS,  maybe a kill-switch is required in some situations etc.

in addition to that remember that communication is prime in this sport! practice using the Radio and when you are having a stuck or a refusal announce your car number and the situation you are in and wait for the instruction from the Support or Marshal, and NEVER reverse without getting the clear instruction to do so as many times you might be reversing into a pit or even a cliff without you noticing. 

@Siby, i am glad that you only had a pop-out when you reversed down the hill ( God forbid ) it could have been much worse. i am sure lesson learned and you will be more in control of your car next time.

@GeorgeFJ as @Ale Vallecchi already mentioned, you are always welcomed as long as you are willing to learn and get better every drive.

Thank you @Patrick van der Loo for sweeping the convoy and making sure that no one is left behind.

@Georges Kazan i will be posting some videos of the drive here i am not sure yours is part of them. 

anyone who have some pictures you could post them in the drive galley 

looking forward to see you all soon in the Sand 🍻

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 4

Important Information

Terms of use