•  

Newbie - Joining In - Things to buy - recommendations

Ahmad Quadri

Hi Everyone 

Just registered myself here - been a part since 2020 and really never was able to decide to actually test the waters. Finally Happy to take the plunge. 

I have put myself on the waitlist for "Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Flavours of Faqa - Dubai - 21 Jan 2023" . Don't think I will get the opportunity though. Already 9 more people on the waitlist. Maybe next time. 

I was going through the a lot of reading material on the site and its absolutely amazing ( thank you for that). 

I understand that on the first drive an absolute must is to have your own tyre deflater and inflater. Any recommendations? I can see a lot of options on Amazon but not sure which one to pick. Any suggestions would definitely help. 

The one I saw and liked was https://www.amazon.ae/gp/product/B09W8SMB6R/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1RQBI3BED2YVU&psc=1 - any comments on this one if anyone has used this one?

Also for the flag pole - Where can I get one and how does that fix into the car ?

Appreciate any guidance here. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Welcome to the club @Ahmad Quadri !

Below article might be of help:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 hours ago, Brett Eicher said:

Hi @Ahmad Quadri Welcome to the club!

To be honest, as your very first Newbie drive, people in the club will be very accomodating. That air compressor you posted won't really be up to the task of inflating all your tires from sand pressures. Just check with someone is okay sharing their air compressor, and if you have a lot of fun and want to do it again, look to get a 'real' compressor. The problem with the one you linked is, unfortunately, it will overheat quickly, and cut out, and the inflating will be slow. Painfully slow. Great for emergency tire changing, not so great for offroad useage. But you also don't want to spend several hundred AED on a decent one until you've even given the hobby a real try 😃

The flags... many of us have mounting brackets we can buy for our specific vehicle make and models, you can probably just google for your own vehicle. Or get a custum bracket made to fit from a local fabricator. Both are very popular. Another option is suction cups that will suction to your rear windows... this is quite non-intrusive, and maybe a direction you take for your first run. (amazon search: 'desert flag' for a flag and mount).

For an absolute first time experience... I would say the non-negotiable items would be a radio, recovery points, and flag. The club can help support in other gear, just check first with the marshall and club members on the drive you sign up for. After that first dip in the pool, if you're excited and keen for more, build up the recommended club gear, but with gear that will do the job (ie, a decent air compressor).

Hope this helps!

I hear you completely and it absolutely makes sense - Since i am just starting out , i dont want to do what i did with my gym ( Paid for full year, got gym clothes , etc etc - went only for two days) - But i think once i get it in my system and think this is something i will do long term then it makes sense to invest. 

Also i am not sure how my car will behave in the sand - i have LandRover LR2 2012 model - this is another reason for me now take the plunge - till now this was my only car - in a week it will be my second car. The car is in good condition and works like a charm on road. but from what i have read here , it different in the desert. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ahmad Quadri said:

I hear you completely and it absolutely makes sense - Since i am just starting out , i dont want to do what i did with my gym ( Paid for full year, got gym clothes , etc etc - went only for two days) - But i think once i get it in my system and think this is something i will do long term then it makes sense to invest. 

Also i am not sure how my car will behave in the sand - i have LandRover LR2 2012 model - this is another reason for me now take the plunge - till now this was my only car - in a week it will be my second car. The car is in good condition and works like a charm on road. but from what i have read here , it different in the desert. 

Land Rover LR2 is not bad at all in the desert. It's quite powerful and at least you will be unique ! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

12 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Land Rover LR2 is not bad at all in the desert. It's quite powerful and at least you will be unique ! 

It has some controls - to move from road to desert drive to snow drive - i am not really sure what it does - but i guess it would have to do something with traction control.

1 hour ago, Ahmad Quadri said:

It has some controls - to move from road to desert drive to snow drive - i am not really sure what it does - but i guess it would have to do something with traction control.

traction control will be disabled anyways in the desert. I remember @Gaurav telling me we used to have an LR2 driving in the club that was a very capable and powerful 4x4.

The LR2 is a capable offroader and while it wasn't your model year, but I saw @frederic demolder drove a Freelander/Discovery Sport/LR2 in Area 53 with me in late 2021. It was a very capable and powerful car throughout that run.

The trim on the majority of these cars have become more aggressive for on-road driving so there was some bumper adjustments needed but it never struggled in the churned-up tracks of Area 53 on a busy Saturday morning.

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, munkybizness said:

The LR2 is a capable offroader and while it wasn't your model year, but I saw @frederic demolder drove a Freelander/Discovery Sport/LR2 in Area 53 with me in late 2021. It was a very capable and powerful car throughout that run.

The trim on the majority of these cars have become more aggressive for on-road driving so there was some bumper adjustments needed but it never struggled in the churned-up tracks of Area 53 on a busy Saturday morning.

Was speaking to someone in office who does offroading sometimes - he drives a Land cruiser and said he had to cut the corners out on the front bumper to ensure he doesnt break it. is that a point of concern ?

20 minutes ago, Ahmad Quadri said:

Was speaking to someone in office who does offroading sometimes - he drives a Land cruiser and said he had to cut the corners out on the front bumper to ensure he doesnt break it. is that a point of concern ?

I did both front and rear bumper cut, but that was required pretty much when I reached intermediate,

dont worry about anything for now, start driving and you will realize the need of mods as you progress.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use