•  

Newbie - Joining In - Things to buy - recommendations

Ahmad Quadri

On 1/17/2023 at 2:03 PM, Frederic said:

traction control will be disabled anyways in the desert. I remember @Gaurav telling me we used to have an LR2 driving in the club that was a very capable and powerful 4x4.

Do we need to disable airbags and abs when in a desert drive ? If yes how do we do it ? 

@Ahmad Quadri Welcome to the Family community:) Great decision to ask here as I ended up buying stuff which I never used/needed/required.

And recently I installed an onboard conpressor, so I have my old compressor, please take mine, use it few times, and if you decide to continue ( which am pretty sure you will, then invest in a compressor) . I stay in JLT and ping me if you wannt to pick this from me, dint wanted to sell it, and instead pass it to fellow member. 0566838510

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

6 hours ago, Ahmad Quadri said:

Do we need to disable airbags and abs when in a desert drive ? If yes how do we do it ? 

* Frontal airbag can be left on. After all it will protect you in case of a nose-dive.

* Curtain airbags (if your car has them) should be disabled, as these are usually connected to a yaw sensor and might react when the car is tilted too much

* ABS should be disabled. Check in the vehicle manual which fuse you can pull. For your first drive this is not a big issue but later it will definitely be needed.

* Traction control should be OFF. This is usually a button with the logo of a sliding car on your dashboard. Pushing it will disable it and it will light up as an orange icon on your dash to notify you that it has been disabled.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Always keep a spare pressure gauge (keep an analog one if you have digital, and vice versa). If your car has a good in-built Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) which monitors each individual tire, you just need one additional failsafe on hand. With convoys like ours, there's always going to be a second person who can lend you one, but it never hurts to be self-prepared. Of all the things that have failed the most with me, gauges are definitely up there.

Another often forgotten item - especially if you manually remove the valve stem to deflate - is to keep some spares. They are very cheap and easily available. But lose one while deflating, and if you don't have one on hand, you will need to swap in a spare tire (or steal its stem). These things are tiny and when you deflate, they get ejected with such pressure that they'll fly out so far that you'll never find them. This is what one looks like.

image.png.b4e5aa7790f6d2abb492e67f52422c54.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Wonderful advices from all and very informative and will act as a guide. I would add that join some drives and see what others are doing with their cars. You will eventually get all your answers. each of us have our own way of doing things that suit us best, and you can pick and choose what you want to do with yours.

• Like (+1) 4

don't drive like its your last one.

6 hours ago, DP1011 , Deepak wrangler said:

@Ahmad Quadri Welcome to the Family community:) Great decision to ask here as I ended up buying stuff which I never used/needed/required.

And recently I installed an onboard conpressor, so I have my old compressor, please take mine, use it few times, and if you decide to continue ( which am pretty sure you will, then invest in a compressor) . I stay in JLT and ping me if you wannt to pick this from me, dint wanted to sell it, and instead pass it to fellow member. 0566838510

Awesome - Totally appreciate this. I will ping you on whatsapp on your number and try and pick this up today evening itself ( Since i just got confirmed for the first drive on Saturday - yuhoo). Thankyou again. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/17/2023 at 6:45 AM, Ahmad Quadri said:

Hi Everyone 

Just registered myself here - been a part since 2020 and really never was able to decide to actually test the waters. Finally Happy to take the plunge. 

I have put myself on the waitlist for "Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Flavours of Faqa - Dubai - 21 Jan 2023" . Don't think I will get the opportunity though. Already 9 more people on the waitlist. Maybe next time. 

I was going through the a lot of reading material on the site and its absolutely amazing ( thank you for that). 

I understand that on the first drive an absolute must is to have your own tyre deflater and inflater. Any recommendations? I can see a lot of options on Amazon but not sure which one to pick. Any suggestions would definitely help. 

The one I saw and liked was https://www.amazon.ae/gp/product/B09W8SMB6R/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1RQBI3BED2YVU&psc=1 - any comments on this one if anyone has used this one?

Also for the flag pole - Where can I get one and how does that fix into the car ?

Appreciate any guidance here. 

Great to see you taking the bait finally)) Welcome to the club, looking forward for drives together!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AlexM said:

Great to see you taking the bait finally)) Welcome to the club, looking forward for drives together!

Yeah would be fun to be on drives together - todays drive was amazing - so I am definitely here :) 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use