•  
Advertise here

Lift kit or no kit?

Benjamin

Hi @Benjamin

I was driving non-lifted for a long time, but what I did when I had the chance to. I was changing to rubicon springs and shocks. Which is a very cost efficient option to get a 0.5 inch lift and a better ride quality and you can achieve another inch or half an inch because you can then go with 32,5 inch tires, 33 is not possible because they will rub if you don't change to high top fenders. You can get it quite cheap as take outs in the garages or at dubizzle, I don't remember what I paid but it was close to just the working hours for installation.  

Meanwhile I am lifted again by 2,5 inch but I agree that you will get the best result if you know exactly what you want I was choosing each part and my shocks were re-built to the softness I wanted to have. Take your time I bet you will feel when you need / want it. For me the trigger was a ride in Badayer where I was struggling a lot compared to others during uneven climbs and washboards (it was not a Carnity ride). But again I agree with everybody that it is not a must. If we have a ride together you can go for a test round if you want to. 

Regards, 

Felix

• Like (+1) 5

On 1/19/2023 at 7:30 AM, Benjamin said:

my main concern was damage to the undercarriage

@Benjamin, if you've been out to the desert in the last few days (since the rains lashed the country), then chances are there's been a ton of sticky sand & mud stuck to the underside of your car. My recommendation, and as @Looper has suggested earlier, just get it cleaned from time to time.

After driving in muddy conditions, getting the undercarriage cleaned is even more crucial. I learned this the hard way because while I would take my car for "body washes" in the first 10 or 12 drives, they would never wash the undercarriage. 15 drives later, when I finally did an undercarriage wash, the team at the car wash had to use a ton of elbow grease & kerosene to loosen the sand & mud that had caked onto the undercarriage components. Hence, just like you should clean out your air filter after 3 to 4 drives, make it a point to have your undercarriage pressure washed after every 4 to 5 drives.

• Like (+1) 5

Feel two trips to the “jack” wash are imminent @Benjamin

• Haha (+1) 2

@munkybizness I completely agree with you I’ve been trying to get undercarriage washes every 5-6 drives as I was already aware of the underlying issues. Although I do need to get into the habit of unscrewing the intake and getting the sand out of it 😛 

• Well Done (+2) 2

@Felix Obst I will definitely look into getting Rubicon shocks that seems like a great idea, I have been conducting more research on just getting shocks that improve ride quality without adding too much of a lift to the car as even after the Liwa trip I noticed a large difference in quality and ride between my dad's jeep gladiator @Gary F that has falcon shocks compared to my stock shocks that don't seem to push back much when handling tougher terrain. 

Hopefully I'll be able to meet you soon in a drive, would love to see your Jeep and see how it handles in the Terrain :) 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, munkybizness said:

My recommendation, and as @Looper has suggested earlier, just get it cleaned from time to time.

Every weekend after all your drives are over bring your car to your trusted carwash and have a full wash. The place I go charge AED 45 for full wash + vacuum - they wash the under carriage and engine bay. I don't go to the fuel station anymore - but at the fuel station too if you ask, they will wash the under carriage. But sometimes they end up charging for a special steam wash - either way they cost more.

I avoid cleaning the car at home or at malls etc., as they tend to leave swirl marks on the paint (not that all the sand bashing helps - but still) and it is economical for me to go weekly wash. For 200 bucks a month I have a car that I can pass it of as lady driven on any weekday.

PS: once I was sold an undercarriage waterproof treatment - anyone else got it? Got it because of my inability to say no. But I am glad I did it because the undercarriage does get drenched every week. 

• Like (+1) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

@Looper got to tell me where to get a wash that includes undercarriage for 45 aed, that seems like a great deal.

• Like (+1) 1

@Gary F

I we have a post on Instagram on 2nd October 2022 that you want to see.

it is not allowed on the forum to advertise or recommend businesses. 

• Like (+1) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

Hi @Benjamin, i have hurricane shocks with 20 point adjustable, remote reservoirs on my Fortuner, got it fitted in October '22 after i broke the stock ones on a Sweihan drive... so far, i am perfectly happy with what it can do..

i was a bit budget conscious when i wanted to upgrade, and this one fit my bill perfectly after hearing some good reviews from some of my friends...stopping here, lest the post crosses the line and becomes a brand promotion 😀

• Like (+1) 3