•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - The Blind Drive: no maps, around Lisaili and Murqab - Dubai - 28 Jan 2023

Ale Vallecchi

We request every member that joins this drive to go through the below information and strictly follow these guidelines, etiquettes and responsibilities.

MUST READ AND COMPLY

DRIVE DETAILS

Level:  Fewbie and above

When:  28 January 2023, Saturday

Meeting time:  7:30 AM - Sharp (Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DPkCWQ1reKNqa8aL9

Action Plan:  The plan is simple. an orienteering drive, moving "blindly" (without the use of maps or previous tracks) between Lisaili, Murqab and Solar Park. We'll be helped only by visual landmarks (there are a few, besides the obvious pylons). This will solicit the use of whatever skills the uncharted terrain will present us with, from long range dunes to tighter cordons and bushy bowls, to technical areas. A new challenge, both for me and the members who wish to drive a bit by the seat of their pants, improvising, redirecting, and adjusting to unforeseen obstacles. 

Approximate finish time: 11:30 AM

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Recommended off-road gears: Walkie-talkie radio and off-road flag (MANDATORY), plus tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, compressor, walkie-talkie radio, off-road flag, shovel, first-aid kit and fire extinguisher.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE

• This drive is limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Friday - 12 PM.
  • If the RSVP is full, you can add your name to the waitlist, once anyone drops, you will be moved to the RSVP list.
  • RSVP will close a day prior to preparing a convoy list.
  • Latecomers will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 6

27 minutes ago, Dodi Syahdar said:

Hi @Ale Vallecchi

I don’t find manage button for this drive. Can you add me as support staff for this drive ? 

Hi @Dodi Syahdar. I will. Thank you 

• Like (+1) 2

Hi, I am a bit confused. Was on first slot of the waitlist and now my name vanished. Was this because I had waitlisted for another drive in line with the WhatsApp saying "P.S. You can waitlist your name anytime for multiple drives by clicking on the new "Add Waitlist" button."? 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Hi, I am a bit confused. Was on first slot of the waitlist and now my name vanished. Was this because I had waitlisted for another drive in line with the WhatsApp saying "P.S. You can waitlist your name anytime for multiple drives by clicking on the new "Add Waitlist" button."? 

Dear @Bjoern, I am not sure what may have happened. Perhaps you may have been accepted into the other drive you had wait listed yourself. I am sorry about this inconvenience. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2023 at 8:01 PM, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts.

A few info about this drive, its spirit, and the possibility of accommodating as many members as possible.

After many excursions in the area between Murqab, Lisaili and Solar Park, having acquired (hopefully) enough experience with the characteristics of these terrains, and having driven by a few recognizable landmarks (sabkhas, tracks, groups of trees, camel farms or feeding stations), I thought it may be time to add the element of orienteering to the drive, and proceed to manage the drive "blind", that is without the use of GPS maps. 

This will mean mostly that we may arrive at some dead ends, and loop back somewhere along the trail, or find obstacles that will need more careful navigation, and in any case, adjust the track according to whatever we'll face, on uncharted territory.

Considering the great number of waitlisted members, we'll also do our best to allow as many members as possible to join the drive. With this in mind, I wish to thank @Vanessa8580, who has offered to lead a second convoy, along a similar route, leaving from the same starting point as Convoy #1.

Thanks to this possibility, at the moment I will be leading the 10 members who will be signed up for the drive on Friday evening (considering the possibility of some drop-outs from the current list, and the automatic signing up of those waitlisted).

At the moment Convoy #1 includes @Jaro Tuzinsky, @Gary F, @Sunil Mathew, @Abdul Basit Khan, @Stumpy Paj, @Ishak, @Frans M, @Adam James, @Bravoecho and @Stan (I will be supported by @Dodi Syahdar). 

Also at the moment, considering the first 10 members on the current waiting list (signed up for their 1st drive), Convoy #2 includes @Ahmed Wagdy, @FARAZ MOHAMMED@Andrei S, @Thejas Uthran, @Sebb, @Krishna R, @Murtaza Bhuria and @Naim Aoun, @Shahid Mehmood and @Yaseen87

Givne the above, the updated waitlist includes, from #1 onward, @Rashid Alseeni, @Zubair @DanielN, @Ahmad Nerat, @Dimitrios Kalogirou and @Claudio C.

More updates on the drive's details, and the convoys final composition and order in the next couple of days.

Looking forward to see you all soon.

@Lawrence_Chehimi you have been added as support to Vanessa's Convoy 2. Thanks for joining. 

• Like (+1) 2

Dear Desertnauts,

latest info in preparation for the drive.

MEETING POINT - Will be just past Murqab's mosque, right off the exit on the Dubai-Al Ain Road. Considering the number of drivers, we'll have Convoy 1 lining up on the RIGHTside of the road, and Convoy 2 (@Vanessa8580's) on the LEFT side of the road. As soon as you reach, please start deflating and mount your flags.

RADIO CHANNELS - Please set your radios as follows: CONVOY 1 on Channel #2 (446.031), and CONVOY 2 on Channel #3 (446.056).

CONVOY ORDER

The following are the members signed up with CONVOY 1, who will line up as follows:

@Jaro Tuzinsky in Second Lead

@Ishak at #3

@Stan at #4

@Bravoecho #5

@Gary F at #6

@Sunil Mathew will be drive as Center

@Frans M at #8

@Abdul Basit Khan at #9

@Adam James #10

@Stumpy Paj at #11, and 

@Dodi Syahdar will take the Sweep's position

CONVOY 2, lead by @Vanessa8580, with the support of @Lawrence_Chehimi, will line up according to the order that the Lead will establish, and will communicate on site, prior to departure. The members in Convoy 2 are the following:

@FARAZ MOHAMMED, @Andrei S, @Sebb, @Krishna R, @Murtaza Bhuria, @Naim Aoun, @Shahid Mehmood, @Yaseen87, @DanielN and @Ahmad Nerat.

It looks like it will be an interesting drive, on an unusual terrain, heavily soaked with the current rains, even though the day is forecasted to be sunny and pleasant. Looking forward to seeing all of you at Murqab. Have a nice end of the week.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Good morning

Below you can find the convoy numbering for convoy #2 

Position Driver Car Rank

1 Vanessa Nissan X-terra  Marshal
2 Ahmad Nerat Toyota Land Cruiser Fewbie
3 Yaseen  Mitsubishi Pajero Fewbie
4 Krishna  Nissan X-terra  Fewbie
5 Murtaza  Mitsubishi Pajero Fewbie
6 Faraz Mohammed Mitsubishi Pajero SWB Fewbie
7 Lawrence Nissan X-terra Support team
8 Daniel  FJ Cruiser Fewbie
9 Sebb Nissan Patrol Safari Fewbie
10 Andrei Jeep Wrangler  Fewbie
11 Shahid Mehmood Toyota Prado Fewbie
12 Naim Aoun Jeep Wrangler Fewbie Plus

We will be using radio channel 3 (446.05625)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use