•  

Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 28 Jan 2023

JeromeFJ

What a great drive today ! First, the cool weather. Enjoying the cold breeze, and this humidity feeling is so rare in this country, it was like a winter (ok, autumn maybe) day in the mountains ! An empty desert; we crossed only one convoy, that is very minimal for Sweihan on a weekend. Then the sand conditions. The sand was still soaked with water and it made the driving so special. solid and heavy at first sight, but very easily loosing the grip, and becoming slippery like mud.  Then a small group of very capable drivers, ready to tackle the obstacles with determination, but aware of the conditions, and cautious in their driving. 

We started directly on the high dunes close to the road, and with the first steep criss crossings, we rapidly realised that this wet sand was making a real difference. After the first 3-4 cars, reaching the ridge was becoming a challenge for the rest of the convoy. With some adjustment to our driving we continued to explore the area, enjoying the empty dunes and ridges. 

With only minor stucks, 1 car crested, 1 pop-out and a few re-attemps on crossings, we made our way to the Old Lady Dune, stopping en route for some high climbs. The heavy and rolling sand made the descends challenging also as it was  more difficult than usual to slow down the cars and to control the fishtailing.  The breathtaking view from the top of the dune was the final reward of the drive !

@Joji varghese, thank you for the 2nd lead, perfectly executed, @Salim Akhtar, kudos for your first IM drive, nobody noticed it was the first one !, @Simon D the roaring of a Y62 inside a Pajero is always amazing, Angela @Foxtrot Oscar it was a pleasure to have you in the drive, @Amr Aydin, very precise driving as usual, @Rajiv Sam nice to have a 2nd FJ in the group, @Beide Worku, excellent job handling the heavy truck in these conditions, @MMansoor congratulations for managing the sweep in the churned tracks !

I couldn't take pictures, please post some photos if you have. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and see you soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 5

@JeromeFJ the pleasure was all mine! When I saw you were leading an IM drive I just had to join, it’s been such a long time since we have driven together and it was wonderful to follow your lead.

I doubt many realise just how brave you were in those conditions yesterday , yes we were all slipping and sliding, but you had to go first and pick a path that kept the convoy safe. Kudos my friend, as you plotted the perfect path which not only kept  us all safe but thrilled too.

I thought everyone handled the conditions brilliantly , it was great to drive with you all, and I’m in awe of the guys at the back who got through that ‘mud’ without any issues.

Team Carnity , always a pleasure…(more pics in the gallery and a 360 vid when I get a chance)

9FDB8A7E-BBC5-48BD-B5E5-5F3B74660F27.jpeg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

What an amazing Drive @JeromeFJ , this drive was more of testing the drivers focus, stamina and endurance . as you described the terrain was unpredictable, but fun specially when driving with such capable drivers.

@Joji varghese@Salim Akhtar,  @Foxtrot Oscar @Amr Aydin,@Rajiv Sam @Beide Worku,@MMansoor it was a pleasure to drive with you and looking forward to see you soon in the next adventure 💪

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use