•  

Snatch blocks

M.Seidam

A bit more real-life practical video:

Single Pull Line without use of a snatch-block. This is the most common used technique for winch recovery:

Double Line Pull by using a single snatch block: 

The Single Pull Line will work for 90% of winch recoveries we do in the sand. Make sure to unreel your winch rope as far as you can, as this provides more winching power (less rope on the reel means a smaller diameter means better power ratio) but keep at least 5-6 reels on the winch, otherwise the rope can get loose from the reel.

The Double Pull Line with a snatch block will basically reduce the load for the winch with 50%, so it is  recommended for those rare extreme recoveries. 

Of course in real life scenarios there are many possible ways to recover a vehicle, including the use of other vehicles to redirect forces, or use them as an anchor. There is no perfect handbook and it will be trial and error to see what works best.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Was trying to figure out what happened during the recovery of Anoops car, and found the following. In photo 1, which is showing the situation we had. We put the snatch block as shown. The FJ winch line was going around the snatch block pulley. This means the winch was the only pulling line, with a change of direction of the dead car load. This had added more load on the winch, leading to the failure of effective pull. The second photo, I think is the correct configuration we should have made. FJ should have been moved next to the raptor. The winch line should have been hooked to the raptor through the pulley. The snatch block reversed and connected to the wrangler. This way, the raptor and FJ will share the load. When we decided to have both FJ and @Ranjan Das winches together, with a direct connect to the wrangler, both winches power were fully utilized to pull the car. Does it make since @Gaurav. At the end great team work by all masters @Gaurav @Srikumar @Asif Hussain @Dodi Syahdar @GauravSoni @munkybizness @Tharun Kumar V @Bjoern @Waqas Parvez @ASAD. @Ishak @Santoso Marjuki @Vaibhav @Pacific @Sunil Mathew @Mario Cornejo

506C5510-B517-4993-97EA-63E7735CBC70.jpeg

1D8585B7-676F-4BB1-A32A-AFDA5C1FE9AA.jpeg

• Like (+1) 9

22 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Does it make since @Gaurav.

This was my life's first experience with a snatch block and based on theory and videos we should've placed FJ in between Raptor and Wrangler for 160-180 degree (most effective) pull. But not to let FJ slip in the same hellhole, I placed FJ at a 90-degree angle to maximize winching power by 1.5X if not double and also to use two car weights to anchor.

With a single winch that recovery has reached its limit, as we have learned from Ranjan's winch hitting the max ceiling the previous night. And also when we remove the snatch block and FJ tried to pull alone, it really didn't move.

My second observation if we somehow would have elevated the winch line by adding another car in between, the winch line would have taken a better load to pull than slicing through the dune. Just an afterthought...!

We really need a winch day out to practice and learn what really works and what doesn't in real-life situations. I already have 5 sign up from winch owners, soon will plan a drive solely for this exercise and test all configurations.

• Like (+1) 8

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

44 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

This was my life's first experience with a snatch block and based on theory and videos we should've placed FJ in between Raptor and Wrangler for 160-180 degree (most effective) pull. But not to let FJ slip in the same hellhole, I placed FJ at a 90-degree angle to maximize winching power by 1.5X if not double and also to use two car weights to anchor.

With a single winch that recovery has reached its limit, as we have learned from Ranjan's winch hitting the max ceiling the previous night. And also when we remove the snatch block and FJ tried to pull alone, it really didn't move.

My second observation if we somehow would have elevated the winch line by adding another car in between, the winch line would have taken a better load to pull than slicing through the dune. Just an afterthought...!

We really need a winch day out to practice and learn what really works and what doesn't in real-life situations. I already have 5 sign up from winch owners, soon will plan a drive solely for this exercise and test all configurations.

consider me in

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

I am trying to visualize the situation and based on the pic and drawing my understanding is that the purpose of using the snatch block was for leverage and not force redirection.. so based on that understanding I believe the best position of the snatch block would be directly connected to the dead car (Snoop’s in the case), and the winch rope would go around the snatch block back to the winching car or another car as anchor.. this would give leverage almost doubling the force on the dead car and reduce helge stress on the winch ..

can’t wait to play with this and apply to different scenarios when we meet

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Now let's factor the 60-70 meter distance and the winch line is 30 meters, and tow ropes can't go through the snatch block.

Welcome to liwa dunes, lol.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Adding my 2 cents to the discussion, eventhough i was not able to participate in this epic recovery. Had to be home by late evening , as family had planned something assuming my attendance

2 hours ago, Hisham Masaad said:

he winch line should have been hooked to the raptor through the pulley. The snatch block reversed and connected to the wrangler.

if pulling force multiplication was our intention , above was how it should have been rigged, as @Hisham Masaad mentioned

The way it is rigged in the photo, only serves to re-direct the pull, and not mulitply it. The static line is to be connected to the pulled load (wrangler) , and the pulling lines should be maximum parallel to each other for 2x multiplication.  

image.png.2ba04e120c746f2388c088b32e135fcd.png

Any other included angle would only reduce the resultant force on the static line, reaching 1x at 90degree included angle. hope i am not being too technical here.

In such case, when pulling line/winch line moves 1mtr, snatch block moves 0.5 mtr only

Also, snatch block rating should be twice winch pull 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I can already see that winch day out gonna be a mind-bending exercise with so many great ideas, engineers and experts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use