•  

Snatch blocks

M.Seidam

21 minutes ago, Sunil Mathew said:

only serves to re-direct the pull

That’s it . Redirection of pull force 

@Gaurav When is the plan please for the winch day ?

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

I can already see that winch day out gonna be a mind-bending exercise with so many great ideas, engineers and experts.

Already revising some Polly physics , I don’t know why I used to hate at school/first year college time but kinda love it now 🤣

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Was trying to figure out what happened during the recovery of Anoops car, and found the following. In photo 1, which is showing the situation we had. We put the snatch block as shown. The FJ winch line was going around the snatch block pulley. This means the winch was the only pulling line, with a change of direction of the dead car load. This had added more load on the winch, leading to the failure of effective pull. The second photo, I think is the correct configuration we should have made. FJ should have been moved next to the raptor. The winch line should have been hooked to the raptor through the pulley. The snatch block reversed and connected to the wrangler. This way, the raptor and FJ will share the load. When we decided to have both FJ and @Ranjan Das winches together, with a direct connect to the wrangler, both winches power were fully utilized to pull the car. Does it make since @Gaurav. At the end great team work by all masters @Gaurav @Srikumar @Asif Hussain @Dodi Syahdar @GauravSoni @munkybizness @Tharun Kumar V @Bjoern @Waqas Parvez @ASAD. @Ishak @Santoso Marjuki @Vaibhav @Pacific @Sunil Mathew @Mario Cornejo

506C5510-B517-4993-97EA-63E7735CBC70.jpeg

1D8585B7-676F-4BB1-A32A-AFDA5C1FE9AA.jpeg

Considering the situation in hind sight, one can always introspect.

During the recovery, one option discussed was to position the raptor at a higher position (near the bush) while keeping the winching car a little closer to the slip face. 
I don’t remember the reason why it was not attempted, but now it certainly looks like could have been worth a try. 
4DB7DFA2-4B57-4C91-BC4C-DFA2AFFB4A27.jpeg.99e46aa7d3c571176b8e1bd7211087f2.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GauravSoni said:

one option discussed was to position the raptor at a higher position (near the bush) while keeping the winching car a little closer to the slip face. 

I was not there and my knowledge of winch recovery is theoretical ain’t practical . However probably you would need another raptor ( heavy powerful car ) to anchor the raptor still bit higher to offset the incline force as in the picture in order to keep it stable and not to be dragged as well  . This would dissipate slightly the slightly lost advantage if positioned at the bush as you said . However the yellow Jeep would be at less risk to topple on the other hand too . . We need a winch day definitely 😅

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gaurav said:

This was my life's first experience with a snatch block and based on theory and videos we should've placed FJ in between Raptor and Wrangler for 160-180 degree (most effective) pull. But not to let FJ slip in the same hellhole, I placed FJ at a 90-degree angle to maximize winching power by 1.5X if not double and also to use two car weights to anchor.

With a single winch that recovery has reached its limit, as we have learned from Ranjan's winch hitting the max ceiling the previous night. And also when we remove the snatch block and FJ tried to pull alone, it really didn't move.

My second observation if we somehow would have elevated the winch line by adding another car in between, the winch line would have taken a better load to pull than slicing through the dune. Just an afterthought...!

We really need a winch day out to practice and learn what really works and what doesn't in real-life situations. I already have 5 sign up from winch owners, soon will plan a drive solely for this exercise and test all configurations.

Count me in..

Important Information

Terms of use