•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Eye of Sauron: The Faqa Approach - Dubai - 5 Feb 2023

Ale Vallecchi

We request every member that joins this drive to go through the below information and strictly follow these guidelines, etiquettes and responsibilities.

MUST READ AND COMPLY

DRIVE DETAILS

Level:  Fewbie and above

When:  5 February 2023, Sunday

Meeting time:  7:30 AM - Sharp (Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/U1GKp1vQpbCmaVU47

Action Plan:  Most visitors to Dubai deserts have noticed the tall tower dominating the landscape, from Qudra to Lisaili, from Murqab to Faqa. Occasionally, more often recently, the tower shines at the top, with a bright, blinding white light, reflecting its glow on the nearby clouds. We'll use this beacon as our landmark for the drive. Approaching Dubai's "Eye of Sauron" from Faqa's side, getting close to it with a westerly loop, then around it, all the way to Solar Park via Lisaili. This last segment in particular will be most treacherous. The quadrant just above the Eye of Sauron has become infamous during Carnity's Leaders Lead training sessions, as "the" place to test a leader (and his/her followers) ability to navigate tight dunes, plunging into soft bowls and emerging from them with a combination of finesse driving and engine power, requiring excellent control of one's car, and good skills in ridge riding and criss-crossing. This will be the place where the "Eye of Sauron" will try to scare and hypnotize the convoy, which will nonetheless manage, somehow, to escape its grasp 😉.

Approximate finish time: 11:30 AM

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Mandatory off-road gears: Tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, compressor, walkie-talkie radio, off-road flag, shovel, first-aid kit and fire extinguisher.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE

• This drive is limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Thursday - 12 PM.
  • If the RSVP is full, you can add your name to the waitlist, once anyone drops, you will be moved to the RSVP list.
  • RSVP will close a day prior to preparing a convoy list.
  • Latecomers will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 3

Going to change myself back to the waitlist , as unsure if I can fit two drives weekend.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Dear Desertnauts

a few appetizing bits before this Sunday's raid on Sauron's kingdom.

As every well-fortified location, Dubai's Solar Tower (aka Eye of Sauron) stands surrounded by tricky terrain, meant to cause difficulties and hardship to any who wishes to approach its walls (in this case, metal fences). In this case, as we'll get closer to the blazing tower, we should expect to find closer and closer sets of dunes, with relatively low ridges, but quite sharp descents into soft sand bowls, that will require skills to exit, navigate and cross. This is the terrain where our Master Desert Sorcerer @Gaurav tests the leading (and following) abilities of future Carnity Leaders. All have returned from this mysterious and magic land, but most still remember it as one of the more tasting experiences of their off-roading lives.

Hence, we'll take it with an increasingly challenging approach, by starting in Faqa Town, to warm up while navigating its long-range open dunes, until we'll descend from Faqa Plateau into the sabkha just south of the Eye of Sauron's first ramparts, and from there we'll circle the fortress in a counterclockwise direction, first toward the north, then toward Lisaili's central area. The patch between the sabkha and the Lisaili central segment will be our testing ground. 

As far as the meeting place is concerned, please take the Faqa Exit, where it also indicates the local Police Station, then immediately make a right on the tarmac (as if going back to Dubai), and follow the road almost to its end, to where the meeting place has been set.

The convoy will line up as follows:

@Gregory in Second Lead

@DanielN at #3

@Krishna R at #4

@Ahmad Nerat #5

@Bashar Beasha at #6

@Pieter Potgieter at #7, and 

@salah2u in Sweep.

The Carnity Radio Channel we'll be using is #2 (446031).

Looking forward to seeing all of you this coming Sunday. In the meantime, enjoy the end of the week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bashar Beasha said:

Hi @Ale Vallecchi. I might also drop off from the drive but can only confirm this tomorrow noon. Can I wait till tomorrow to remove my name or should remove myself now?

Hello @Bashar Beasha. You can wait, although of course I'll be happy to see you on Sunday. Thanks

9 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Just checking: @DanielN and @Pieter Potgieter have you dropped off from the drive? Thanks for informing.

Hi Ale, unfortunately yes I have had too leave the drive. Until next time. Drive safe

• Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use