•  

Two Day Fewbie Plus Overlanding Expedition - Tracing The Tropic Of Cancer - Abu Dhabi - 18 to 19 Feb 2023

Frederic

@Frederic unfortunately it seems i will be having a business trip next sunday that will prevent me from being part of the much awaited overlanding experiance 😢.

so i will drop my name from the going list and giving the opportunity to the other on the waiting list to enjoy this experiance .

Enjoy and have fun and get back safely everyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 3

15 minutes ago, Simon D said:

@Frederic unfortunately it seems i will be having a business trip next sunday that will prevent me from being part of the much awaited overlanding experiance 😢.

so i will drop my name from the going list and giving the opportunity to the other on the waiting list to enjoy this experiance .

Enjoy and have fun and get back safely everyone.

Sorry to hear that Simon !

@KAMALIOyou are next in the list, kindly confirm if you can make it. 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic hey Fred, just seeing this drive, I am happy to join as support member if needed, I m here for few weeks, missed the Liwa, don't wanna miss this one... hope you can accommodate..

Regards,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

@Frederic I don't know what I did to piss off the desert gods, but it looks like I won't be going on any overnight carnity drive this year. My car is still at the doc needing more love so I'll bow out of this one as well. On the flip side, one soul from the WL is in for a wonderful surprise. I'm counting on you guys to make the right offering in my behalf while out there so they'll look upon me kindly again :) Enjoy it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 4

Food for thought on the long way to the starting point. Where exactly is that line of the Tropic of Cancer ?

The Tropic of Cancer is the most northerly line, where the sun can be observed vertically on the June solstice.

Because I didn't realise until yesterday that Fred had included the track and the waypoints already 3 weeks ago in the drive post, I was trying to locate this famous Tropic on my Gaia map. And so... the position of this line varies over the time, as a consequence of the movements of the Earth (tilt and spin). Ok, not a huge variation, but still noticeable.

In 1917, the latitude was 23,45091°N (23° 27' 03,289" N), in 2047, it will be 23,43425 °N (23° 26' 03,292"), and next Saturday 18th Feb 2023, when we will start our drive, it will be 23,43836°N (23° 26' 18").

image.png.379ff3cac4d248bc2bcf69e64bf97383.png

Looking at the map, the average line proposed by Fred is slightly above the line on that day. On the ground, it represents around 1.2 km.

image.png.7a9c50185c002531ca56b865093c5bf6.png

It means that we can comfortably allow ourselves a variation of 1.0 to 1.5 km (rather to the South) we will still be on the Tropic of Cancer itself !

Thank you again @Frederic for the amazing preparation work for this overlanding trip. For sure it will be epic ! 

See you all on Saturday !

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 5

1 hour ago, JeromeFJ said:

Food for thought on the long way to the starting point. Where exactly is that line of the Tropic of Cancer ?

The Tropic of Cancer is the most northerly line, where the sun can be observed vertically on the June solstice.

Because I didn't realise until yesterday that Fred had included the track and the waypoints already 3 weeks ago in the drive post, I was trying to locate this famous Tropic on my Gaia map. And so... the position of this line varies over the time, as a consequence of the movements of the Earth (tilt and spin). Ok, not a huge variation, but still noticeable.

In 1917, the latitude was 23,45091°N (23° 27' 03,289" N), in 2047, it will be 23,43425 °N (23° 26' 03,292"), and next Saturday 18th Feb 2023, when we will start our drive, it will be 23,43836°N (23° 26' 18").

image.png.379ff3cac4d248bc2bcf69e64bf97383.png

Looking at the map, the average line proposed by Fred is slightly above the line on that day. On the ground, it represents around 1.2 km.

image.png.7a9c50185c002531ca56b865093c5bf6.png

It means that we can comfortably allow ourselves a variation of 1.0 to 1.5 km (rather to the South) we will still be on the Tropic of Cancer itself !

Thank you again @Frederic for the amazing preparation work for this overlanding trip. For sure it will be epic ! 

See you all on Saturday !

Fantastic post @JeromeFJ ! You are right, and i must admit that the prep-work i did for this dates more than 1.5 year back, and took the coordinates from a site somewhere. 

No doubt we will have plenty of challenges on that straight line to deal with :) See you soon !

2 hours ago, Beide Worku said:

@Frederic I don't know what I did to piss off the desert gods, but it looks like I won't be going on any overnight carnity drive this year. My car is still at the doc needing more love so I'll bow out of this one as well. On the flip side, one soul from the WL is in for a wonderful surprise. I'm counting on you guys to make the right offering in my behalf while out there so they'll look upon me kindly again :) Enjoy it. 

Sorry to hear that @Beide Worku ! We still have a few months of pleasant weather so i do still hope the best for you to have your fill in the overnight stuff.

@Mus_hus78 this means you are the next one in line, are you in for this ?

• Like (+1) 5

@Frederic @JeromeFJ- it’s times like these, I wish I’d paid heed to my parents, when they were pleading me to study harder 😂

#younerds🤓

Edited by munkybizness
  • Haha (+1) 9

@Jorge Stepniak Felippe a spot has opened up, if you’re available to join please confirm so I can add you.

Important Information

Terms of use