•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - "Cheap thrills - its a month end drive"- Qudra - Dubai - 25 Feb 2023

Varun Mehndiratta

@Varun Mehndiratta thanks for planing this route precisely.. i have enjoyed every second in the drive. It was brilliant!! 

We have tested our skills vs the machines, and i believe in general we all did well. As i was watching the drivers from the back. 

@Frans M i like ur ride and ur way of handling it.. @Tharun Kumar V u r enjoying a master setup in ur ride 👏👏

in one of technical areas i encountered a my 1st tire pop-out. The mistake i did was clear by taking sharp turn while existing a ridge and was fixed in no time with the team support. 

@Karthik Raptorwas always in right place giving us the right hents... Last setup of convoy order having u on front of those big cars was making our drive faster and much smoother.. 

@Gary F , @Ishak @rohit kumar and the rest of the drivers were doing great.. well done guys...

short report can be found on the bellow link 

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8HPqRrW/

@Varun Mehndiratta we need more similar drive like this... thx again

looking forward to drive with u all again soon.

BR,

Ahmad

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Nice video @Ahmad Nerat, I can see there was a lot of fun at the back 😀, I missed it. There is also Dolphin Pajero out of the track 😅 on your video.

Thank you @Varun Mehndirattafor again, the amazing drive.

@Tharun Kumar V congratulations on your promotion 🥲

@Frans Msee you next two weeks 😁

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

This was a great drive, we covered a lot of ground, varied terrain, the Sand is finally drying out from the rains a few weeks ago and the lack of moisture, amazing to see the amount of vegetation this has brought.

I'm starting to like the convoy switcheroo; experiencing different positions on a single drive leads to new experiences that would normally take many drives. Being near the front at times is like being on a whole different drive.

That bowl into a ridge ride was an experience. 

Key items for me, when going for ridge riding, probably due to the long wheelbase, I need a higher angle then to get that first wheel over the crest. 

Near the end of the drive, I managed to have a crest situation while crossing over, the front of the Sandrunner was nose down, parallel to the bottom on the dune,  with a rear wheel freestylin, @Karthik Raptor was about to get the rope, but I could feel some traction in the front tires. I dropped to 4 low, rear diff on, gentle pulse of gas and left right steering and it was free. 

Speaking of 4Low I must speak to my Jeep friends here,  it also seems to take long to get in and out of 4L, not to mention when coming our of 4low traction control must be turned back off.. The sequence I use is Drive Selector  4H->4Part-Time>Neutral then Transmission N, then Drive Selector 4L and reversed for the other way round.

Looking forward to the next drive, I have posted some images in the gallery.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Gary F said:

Key items for me, when going for ridge riding, probably due to the long wheelbase, I need a higher angle then to get that first wheel over the crest. 

Spot on @Gary F goes for both lwb and swb - going low means one needs to counter steer (which we all know is against the basics). Reach the ridge at point where you land parallel to the ridge with wheels on both sides. 👍👍👍

1 hour ago, Gary F said:

Speaking of 4Low I must speak to my Jeep friends here,  it also seems to take long to get in and out of 4L, not to mention when coming our of 4low traction control must be turned back off.. The sequence I use is Drive Selector  4H->4Part-Time>Neutral then Transmission N, then Drive Selector 4L and reversed for the other way round.

Yeah @Gary F that’s an interlock we all hate. Understand with some OBDs and kill switch you can bypass the need of switching traction control on/off repeatedly. However I haven’t met many who have had smooth experience with OBDs @Pranjal Varsani1 @KAMALIO can comment. Plus understand with OBD issue is killing the warranty - so I haven’t tried (and not planning too - a few more sec after a refusal is okay). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Varun Mehndiratta, thank you for another great drive, the lines you took were perfect. It was an exciting drive with a good mix of terrain with all the textbook style manoeuvres like slide-sloping, criss-crossing, and especially ridge riding one of Varun's favourite. Everyone drove well with minor refusals and stuck, self-recovering most of the times with some shovelling. 

@Frans M@Rajat Verma@Juzer Gandhi,@rohit kumar@Ishak , @Ahmad Nerat ,@Gary F@Pranjal Varsani1@Mark B, good to meet you all for the first time, hope you enjoyed the drive.

@Tharun Kumar V , good to drive with you and thanks for the extended support. 

Enjoy rest of the weekend, and have a great week ahead!

IMG_4DC9CD5830C0-1.jpeg

Edited by Karthik Raptor
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gary F said:

This was a great drive, we covered a lot of ground, varied terrain, the Sand is finally drying out from the rains a few weeks ago and the lack of moisture, amazing to see the amount of vegetation this has brought.

I'm starting to like the convoy switcheroo; experiencing different positions on a single drive leads to new experiences that would normally take many drives. Being near the front at times is like being on a whole different drive.

That bowl into a ridge ride was an experience. 

Near the end of the drive, I managed to have a crest situation while crossing over, the front of the Sandrunner was nose down, parallel to the bottom on the dune,  with a rear wheel freestylin, @Karthik Raptor was about to get the rope, but I could feel some traction in the front tires. I dropped to 4 low, rear diff on, gentle pulse of gas and left right steering and it was free. 

Looking forward to the next drive, I have posted some images in the gallery.

@Gary F sounds like you’re driving on 4wd “auto” because you’re switching to 4wd part-time and then 4L. Whereas you should be on 4wd part-time for desert drives. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

@Pranjal Varsani1 thank you , yes you are correct I have the transfer case with 5 positions. I usually use 4H and Off-road+ on

I have used 4H part-time ( which appears it should really be called full time) on occasion that has worked during refusals and stucks before going to 4L, I’ll try 4H part time on the next drive to see how different it feels.

here’s Jeeps video on the system

3 minutes ago, Gary F said:

@Pranjal Varsani1 thank you , yes you are correct I have the transfer case with 5 positions. I usually use 4H and Off-road+ on

I have used 4H part-time ( which appears it should really be called full time) on occasion that has worked during refusals and stucks before going to 4L, I’ll try 4H part time on the next drive to see how different it feels.

here’s Jeeps video on the system

Driving on 4wd drive part time will keep your traction control off when switching between 4H and 4L. Also you’ll notice much better traction and a lot less fish tailing compared to 4H full time. 4H part time is basically centre diff lock on so 50% power to the front wheel and 50% to the rear. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

This actually explains a lot of what I’ve been feeling when climbing or on side slopes , thanks @Pranjal Varsani1 4H part-time for the next drive it is.

what were the engineers think calling it 4H part-time ?

Edited by Gary F
  • Like (+1) 1

@Pranjal Varsani1 that’s the first I hear of this too 😂 I’ve made my way to fewbie + without ever touching 4-part-time. I didn’t realize ‘part-time’ meant full time :D  it does explain a good bit about the climbing. Apart from that I never really thought about the other options on my transfer case. This weekend I’ll give it a try and see if it gives any big results

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use