•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - "Cheap thrills - its a month end drive"- Qudra - Dubai - 25 Feb 2023

Varun Mehndiratta

6 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

@Pranjal Varsani1 that’s the first I hear of this too 😂 I’ve made my way to fewbie + without ever touching 4-part-time. I didn’t realize ‘part-time’ meant full time :D  it does explain a good bit about the climbing. Apart from that I never really thought about the other options on my transfer case. This weekend I’ll give it a try and see if it gives any big results

I got an OBD installed and i didn’t realized it killed my 4WD. I drove 5 to 7 drives in rear wheel drive only. I was struggling for traction but completed all the drives with maybe 1 stuck and 1 refusal. I thought I was too aggressive on the gas pedal. Turns out my 4wd was never engaged. You can get away with quite a bit in a Jeep! 

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

My mind is blown! Looks like we’ve all been using the wrong setting 🫣🫣

1 hour ago, Pranjal Varsani1 said:

@Gary F sounds like you’re driving on 4wd “auto” because you’re switching to 4wd part-time and then 4L. Whereas you should be on 4wd part-time for desert drives. 

That’s what I’ve been doing too! Thanks for the info would have been driving like that forever! 🤭 definitely trying this out 

• Like (+1) 3

Same here @Mark B  i played with part time a few times but never thought we should be running it all the time on the sand. Can’t wait to try on some big bowls.. and ridges.

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

@Pranjal Varsani1 that’s the first I hear of this too 😂 I’ve made my way to fewbie + without ever touching 4-part-time. I didn’t realize ‘part-time’ meant full time :D  it does explain a good bit about the climbing. Apart from that I never really thought about the other options on my transfer case. This weekend I’ll give it a try and see if it gives any big results

Looks like we will all be drive 4h part time next weekend 😃

Edited by Gary F
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pranjal Varsani1 said:

@Gary F sounds like you’re driving on 4wd “auto” because you’re switching to 4wd part-time and then 4L. Whereas you should be on 4wd part-time for desert drives. 

@Gary F @Pranjal Varsani1 @Mark B Both 4HAuto as well as 4H part time works perfectly fine. We have many drivers (incl marshals, incl on highest level drives) who drive on 4Auto and many on 4H part time. It’s about getting used to the car and it’s feature. All my NB/FB drives (even some Fb+) I do at 4W Auto, Int and above I usually do it on 4WPart time - just the comfort level. 

Conceptually 4Auto ECU/Computer switches the vehicle between 4H and 2H (never 4L - it requires personal intervention) and so is surely more fuel efficient - as 4H is only used when needed.  4HPart time ensures you are always in 4H and hence reducing reliance on computer to decide 4W or 2W drive (in due course more fuel and more stress on car). It’s called part time as it’s not recommended to use it for long (like on road etc). 

Reg Off-road plus, I have personally haven’t used it yet, understand it’s of good use while going for very steep climbs in D mode or situation where you need that one bit extra torque at very high and very low rpm.

In general your vehicles are capable of managing all without these additonal features. Ofcourse good to get used to them so as to be able to use when needed.

For me the magic of off roading is when the load on car is the least and motion fluid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Pranjal Varsani1 said:

I got an OBD installed and i didn’t realized it killed my 4WD. I drove 5 to 7 drives in rear wheel drive only. I was struggling for traction but completed all the drives with maybe 1 stuck and 1 refusal. I thought I was too aggressive on the gas pedal. Turns out my 4wd was never engaged. You can get away with quite a bit in a Jeep! 

Wow - during Murquab drive, were you in 4 or 2W? As during recovery you were surely on 4W.

Yes, Jeep can do a lot in general, however it’s not safe to push it through desert in 2W. Hope it’s fixed now. 

1 minute ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Wow - during Murquab drive, were you in 4 or 2W? As during recovery you were surely on 4W.

Yes, Jeep can do a lot in general, however it’s not safe to push it through desert in 2W. Hope it’s fixed now. 

Yes I was in 2WD for that one. I couldn’t figure out why I was struggling for that drive and a few before that one. That also explains why I couldn’t switch on the diff locks. Anyway, it’s all sorted out now and my Al Qudra drive with you felt so much smoother. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hmm.. the screen was showing 4W engaged? The dia with transmission connection? Either ways if you managed to do that drive in 2W, hats off bro - and I am really feeling lucky that nothing went wrong - as we did quite a few stretched sideys and crossings that day. 
Good that it’s fixed now 👍👍

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Hmm.. the screen was showing 4W engaged? The dia with transmission connection? Either ways if you managed to do that drive in 2W, hats off bro - and I am really feeling lucky that nothing went wrong - as we did quite a few stretched sideys and crossings that day. 
Good that it’s fixed now 👍👍

4W only engaged when in 4L. When I was in 4H it was still rear wheel only. I have bead locks so I went down all the way to 6psi to keep up not knowing the root problem is 4W is not engaged. Definitely not safe to drive in 2 wheel drive. Glad I’ve learnt a lesson without running into any bad luck.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Pranjal Varsani1 said:

4W only engaged when in 4L. When I was in 4H it was still rear wheel only. I have bead locks so I went down all the way to 6psi to keep up not knowing the root problem is 4W is not engaged. Definitely not safe to drive in 2 wheel drive. Glad I’ve learnt a lesson without running into any bad luck.

Wow!!! driving at 6psi … dude you are surely giving me a shocker after another one. Check the warranty details on your beadlocks, m sure at this level damage wouldn’t have been recoverable in warranty. 

• Like (+1) 1

@Varun Mehndiratta I have always used the off-road plus mode , the only useful part I find off road + is throttle response, with one button it turns off traction control ,makes the go pedal more sensitive. Turns on the off road page screen, seeing the gauges is nice at times,  or the angle of a slope on a steep descent, (I feel the screen is more gimmick as eyes  should be concentrated on situational awareness) and changes the gear profiles in D.

Although at times it does hang around in 1st too long, hence at times I’ll manually go to 2nd or my favourite is when it decides on a long climb to change into 3rd and loses all power :) near the top.

this drive it behaved well and I rarely passed 3,000 RPM

Edited by Gary F
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use