•  
Advertise here

Land Cruiser 200 Intermittent Vibration on Highway Bumps

Friends, I recently bought 2013 LC200 v6 GXR that drives good but gives an intermittent vibration when it touches a small bump on highway in speed range of around 60-100KMPH. I don't feel it all the times in this speed range, and it is not observed at higher speeds like 120KMPH or above. Otherwise, car ride is very smooth but this little body shake (I feel more in front seats) creates a bit of dissatisfaction. 

Following is what I have already done following actions which have reduced the vibration but it's not completely gone.

1. All 4 Shock Absorbers replaced.

2. Replaced Both Link Rods

3. Replaced both Tie Rod Ends

4. Replaced Steering Boots

5. Greased Front and Rear Drive Shift

6. Wheel Balancing & Alignment

Tyre are Dunlop Grantrek A22 DOT 2021 and front ones had bit of reduced tread from inside; I moved these tyre to back and put the correct ones to front during wheel balancing. But I still hear road noise out of these tyre and have plan to change these too.

Springs are OEM and all suspension parts are good per inspection of my mechanic who says that tyres are causing this vibration; but since I don't feel vibration all the time at said speed range and it only comes when crossing small bumps, I don't think this is due to tyres.

On some other international forum, a guy had same issue and ended up tightening his LC200 wheel bearings to Specs which made the tyre misbalance very obvious fixing which made the ride smooth.

Experts are requested to advice on this please.

• Like (+1) 1

You mention that the front tyres had reduced thread from the inside. This is usually the result from a wrong wheel alignment causing the tyres to wear unevenly.

Wheel Alignment # 1 in Bolton | Albion Auto Service

If you have gotten a wheel alignment done by now, that should help, but the i would surely recommend it and make SURE to use a decent shop that uses their laser alignment system and takes their time to do a proper job. I have tried many different tyre shops in the past and only 1-2 of them did a really decent job.

From a realistic point of view, the vehicle is 10 years old now and there will be small issues popping up which might be very hard to pinpoint. The Landcruiser is an amazing 4x4 but there might be some bushings or a wheel bearing slightly affected and it might cost you quite a bit to get rid of the issue with trial and error.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic thank you for your response. 

That's correct; I have already done wheel alignment and balancing; and moved the tread reduced tyres to backwards. 

I am also thinking to get the wheel bearings checked, the workshop guy did the check earlier and found no play or noise in the wheels. Without any signs, is it still possible that wheel hub or bearings are loose and are causing this vibration?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MisterPoet said:

@Frederic thank you for your response. 

That's correct; I have already done wheel alignment and balancing; and moved the tread reduced tyres to backwards. 

I am also thinking to get the wheel bearings checked, the workshop guy did the check earlier and found no play or noise in the wheels. Without any signs, is it still possible that wheel hub or bearings are loose and are causing this vibration?

How many miles has your Landcruiser done ?

Wheel bearings usually last 200k at least, but of course it depends how it was used before.

• Like (+1) 1

Get all 4 tires clean from the inside, as if you or the previous owner had a tire pop-out then sand must have gone inside the tire and this sand causes an imbalance.

Also while at it, get the tire clean and balanced again from a reputed shop and not lazy guys, and this time make sure to see 0 and 0 on every tire left and right side with your own eyes. Many lazy guys leave a 5 or 10 grams imbalance is ok and such minor vibration is often caused by an unbalanced tire at highway speed.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Frederic it has done 215K KM.

@Gaurav It has always been driven on road; never used in sand. 

Not sure if it is possible for wheel bearings (wheel hub) to get loose without any noise of play in them while inspection? 

Or is there any other important suspension part left unattended in the above list of parts I already replaced?

• Like (+1) 1

Friends, I actually got my vehicle steam washed and greased (normal yellowish color grease) on 6 fittings/nipples on Drive Shaft 2 weeks before. This was because I read that dry u-joints or Slide Yoke could also cause vibration.

But strangely, I feel a but more vibration now when I drive over small highway bumps and car feels uncomfortable and shake for a second as if all corners of vehicle aren’t in sync with each other.

Any advice if this could be due to over-greasing and where can I get my car (in Shj or Dxb) to remove extra grease and re-grease all points with high-temperature recommended grease with proper grease gun?

My mechanic recommends blames Dunlop AT22 tyres DOT 2020 and suggests to change these with Bridgestone or Michelin. 
Though I hear road noise with tyres and these are unevenly worn specially rear ones, but I don’t think this is purely due to tyres only; so my thought is to fix mechanical issues before tyre change.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 days before, I installed new tyres Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport from Sand Dance tyres.
Now road noise is totally gone but the main issue of wheel shake still exists. I would say it became more prominent now after changing tyres; not sure what is the relation. Driving at 90 or 100 KMPH on highway, I feel wheels wobbling/shaking but not on steering. 

Front lower control arm bushes seems slightly worn; not sure if replacing bushes only will do the job or I should replace the full arms.

Any guidance what is normal life of these bushes in Lc200 which has never been driven off-road? 
Secondly, could this wobble be because of wheel bearing (no noise though) or lower arms (no clunking or sound even); that I should prioritize to change?

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 5:49 PM, MisterPoet said:

2 days before, I installed new tyres Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport from Sand Dance tyres.
Now road noise is totally gone but the main issue of wheel shake still exists. I would say it became more prominent now after changing tyres; not sure what is the relation. Driving at 90 or 100 KMPH on highway, I feel wheels wobbling/shaking but not on steering. 

Front lower control arm bushes seems slightly worn; not sure if replacing bushes only will do the job or I should replace the full arms.

Any guidance what is normal life of these bushes in Lc200 which has never been driven off-road? 
Secondly, could this wobble be because of wheel bearing (no noise though) or lower arms (no clunking or sound even); that I should prioritize to change?

"Any guidance what is normal life of these bushes in Lc200 which has never been driven off-road? 
Secondly, could this wobble be because of wheel bearing (no noise though) or lower arms (no clunking or sound even); that I should prioritize to change?"

Bushes will wear out over time. Driving offroad will accelerate this, but a 10y old 4x4 will definitely have wear and tear on the bushes (rubber wears out due to heat and mechanical stress).

I would advise to start with replacing the bushes that show wear and tear. Wheel bearing i think is less likely as these have a long life span (300,000+kms). 

• Like (+1) 1