•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Countdown to Ramadan - Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 12 Mar 2023

Absolutely wild first fewbie drive😎

Thanks everyone. Mia and i looking forward to next one. Will drop some photos in gallery tonight

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Varun Mehndiratta+ Sweihan = Deadly combination

I clicked going as soon as I saw Sweihan and Varun on Monday and I ain't disappointed.

The drive time was a bit less due to the cluster f**k of events but we made sure we were going to make the most of it.

Climbed some amazing dunes with super soft bowls. Din feel like we lost time during recovery.

The long drive to sweihan and back was justified by the amazing climbs we did today.

Everyone drove brilliantly and I had a few surprises from a few fellow drivers. I was betting mentally on each driver's climb and lost quite a few times :) 

@LooperHope you were able to sort the issue with your jeep and get it out. Sorry, I don't have your number and couldn't call to check up on you.

Have a quick fast paced week guys and lets meet on the weekend soon!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks @Varun Mehndiratta  as always an Adenauer of a drive and learning experience. Looking forward to the looper recovery story.. also lesson learned even though many Jeep have 1940s suspension they are still a modern car, when computer says no, you ain’t going anywhere.

I did indeed switch between 4H Auto and 4H Part time many times, getting the feel for which situation calls for it. I also engaged a “secret” mode in Sandrunner that allows for Rear Diff lock while in 4H. This is surprisingly fun, but useless when turning. 

@Looper never good to see a fellow Jeep in distress glad it got out of the desert and then decided to play nice by conveying you home.. Hope to get a follow up on what the issue was and if you end up having to replace both batteries. Worth checking for current draw from any accessories too.

Thanks to all the support team, always good to catch up @Bravoecho .  Thanks @DP1011 , Deepak wrangler for advice on leaving more space, The Sandrunner does gain ground on the Pajeros in certain conditions.

Glad you persevered @lucas amat I was on your first drive, wonderful to see how much capability you have gained in the Jeep Liberty.

@Murtaza Bhuria there should be a badge for a double pop out, hope the damage is superficial.

For future drives I will be adding antihistamines to my first aid kit, some un witnessed insect had what I can only describe as a brunch on my arm, which led to swelling. Went down after a few hours.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

7 minutes ago, Gary F said:

I did indeed switch between 4H Auto and 4H Part time many times, getting the feel for which situation calls for it. I also engaged a “secret” mode in Sandrunner that allows for Rear Diff lock while in 4H. This is surprisingly fun, but useless when turning. 

@Looper

Hey @Gary F you have not mentioned when you used diff lock .. so as a word of caution (I am still new to diff locks - didn’t had option in my Sahara and haven’t used them yet), one thing I have read and understood is never to have Rear or any diff lock engaged at high speed. - as you already mentioned turns or any similar situation where both wheels rotate at diff pace, diff locks under high speed can lead to what is called crash locking and damage your gears.

Generally diff locks are recommended only to self recover out of a tough spot. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Indeed @Varun Mehndiratta, it’s a mode that I believe is only on the Sandrunner (Mohave) that you can turn on the rear diff lock when in 4H and High Speed+ mode.  I used it on a few of the level sections to see the if there was much difference, from the Jeep articles it was specifically designed for when running in the desert at high speed.

The other times I have used the diff lock was in 4LO.  proudest recovery so far was a rear wheel hanging in the air self recovery from a crest.

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

3 minutes ago, Gary F said:

Indeed @Varun Mehndiratta, it’s a mode that I believe is only on the Sandrunner (Mohave) that you can turn on the rear diff lock when in 4H and High Speed+ mode.  I used it on a few of the level sections to see the if there was much difference, from the Jeep articles it was specifically designed for when running in the desert at high speed.

The other times I have used the diff lock was in 4LO.  proudest recovery so far was a rear wheel hanging in the air self recovery from a crest.

Wow that really sounds interesting. Just trying to think when will this be handy. 

@Frederic @Gaurav any advice on topic - trying to evaluate when can this feature really be handy. 

Ofcourse during recovering no need to switch to 4L. Directly can try at 4H with rear diff locks. 

On sideys same spin of all wheels may mean challenge turning down the vehicle and same perhaps during criss crossing?

On steep climbs might be good - but then steering down, won’t it create a challenge? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Wow that really sounds interesting. Just trying to think when will this be handy. 

@Frederic @Gaurav any advice on topic - trying to evaluate when can this feature really be handy. 

Ofcourse during recovering no need to switch to 4L. Directly can try at 4H with rear diff locks. 

On sideys same spin of all wheels may mean challenge turning down the vehicle and same perhaps during criss crossing?

On steep climbs might be good - but then steering down, won’t it create a challenge? 

interesting concept to have a rear diff lock engaged while in 4H. Also new to me but these Jeep Engineers weren't born yesterday so they must keep this as a trick up their sleeve for straight climbs.

Suggest to do some research on the Jeep forums as this looks to be a fairly recent gimmick.

Can You Lock Rear Differential in 4High? | Page 2 | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use