•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Countdown to Ramadan - Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 12 Mar 2023

1 hour ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Wow that really sounds interesting. Just trying to think when will this be handy. 

@Frederic @Gaurav any advice on topic - trying to evaluate when can this feature really be handy. 

Ofcourse during recovering no need to switch to 4L. Directly can try at 4H with rear diff locks. 

On sideys same spin of all wheels may mean challenge turning down the vehicle and same perhaps during criss crossing?

On steep climbs might be good - but then steering down, won’t it create a challenge? 

it's indeed interesting topic to discuss, I looked up on the internet for a while, multiple media sources confirmed that for the first time Jeep made locking rear diff available for 4H at higher speed on OF+ mode for sandrunner only,

But oddly enough that Jeep hasnt advertised on any of its materials online(I read entire brochure and spec sheet) this as USP at all, only mentioned OF+ in 4H is meant for high speed offroad scenarios in difficult angles, Maybe something in the owner manual?

More interesting to know: in the worst case that you break the rear diff by doing high speed runs with rear locker on, will the manufacturer honor the claim 😁

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

it's indeed interesting topic to discuss, I looked up on the internet for a while, multiple media sources confirmed that for the first time Jeep made locking rear diff available for 4H at higher speed on OF+ mode for sandrunner only,

But oddly enough that Jeep hasnt advertised on any of its materials online(I read entire brochure and spec sheet) this as USP at all, only mentioned OF+ in 4H is meant for high speed offroad scenarios in difficult angles

More interesting to know: in the worst case that you break the rear diff by doing high speed runs with rear locker on, will the manufacturer honor the claim 😁

During warranty I believe so — post that too early to say, it’s very new. 

Apart from damage, will it really be useful (keeping safety in mind). While trying to go up a climb, will surely always have in back of mind, possibility to steer down in case one loses momentum. At that ninety degree turn with rear lock, how will the vehicle behave is another element to check.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Don’t think I’ll ever be actively using it in 4H again, but interesting none the less that it’s an option.

if I added a hull and replaced the rear wheels with paddles, it may be of use . 

4133D93C-F064-4D67-9922-EC0C4B65AE40.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

While trying to go up a climb, will surely always have in back of mind, possibility to steer down in case one loses momentum. At that ninety degree turn with rear lock, how will the vehicle behave is another element to check.

Probably something like this >> https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm1rQ84MFZX/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY= 

1. If both rears are locked, there won't be any "stopped wheel" (grabbed by sand) due to power going to the least resistance. Both rear wheels will keep on spinning whether hitting soft or thick sand.

2. The fact he didn't do L-shaped turn / 90 deg to bring the nose down, probably he knew well with rear-locked, the outer wheel cannot spin faster than the inner wheel since they're locked at same speed.

Another reason button & technology shouldn't be used until testing in a safe environment 😅

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

19 minutes ago, Zed said:

Probably something like this >> https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm1rQ84MFZX/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY= 

1. If both rears are locked, there won't be any "stopped wheel" (grabbed by sand) due to power going to the least resistance. Both rear wheels will keep on spinning whether hitting soft or thick sand.

2. The fact he didn't do L-shaped turn / 90 deg to bring the nose down, probably he knew well with rear-locked, the outer wheel cannot spin faster than the inner wheel since they're locked at same speed.

Another reason button & technology shouldn't be used until testing in a safe environment 😅

Perfect visualization of Gary’s point of replacing wheels with paddles 😀😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Perfect visualization of Gary’s point of replacing wheels with paddles 😀😀

Thrust vectoring in action

31 minutes ago, Zed said:

Wow and how the hell did he not flip, apart from being frame deep in sand , sailing..

amazed if this action didn’t light up a bunch of sensors with all that sand around the wheel sensors.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Gary F said:

Wow and how the hell did he not flip, apart from being frame deep in sand , sailing.

More of a case of luck rather then skill.

He wasn’t to know whether he would hit a patch of sand on the way down that would catch his left side.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Zed said:

Looked more like he was in 2H

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Late post from my end too ! 

RESILIENCE & HOW TO HANDLE RESILIENCE WITH LAUGHTER AND LIGHTER MOOD, How to keep yourself Calm in this situation when you are the one whose car decided to offer you with issues  - was my key take away from this drive ! -  Courtesy @Varun Mehndiratta @Looper @Gok Krish @Zed ! 

Come what happens,  our lead was in no mood to stop, I realise it now @Varun Mehndiratta Taking that break, to use few minutes for playing around some bowls and dunes, was a great idea, as it gave us time to unplug and think louder on plans for Looper's car ! 

Am sure it has been a great learning experience and I can fully Echo what you guys summarized it @Varun Mehndiratta & @Looper - We go as a convoy and come as a convoy.   

Great second lead @Ishak followed by amazing levelled up drive by @lucas amat, always helpful to have our experienced friend @Anoop Nair

@PETELCZYC PAJERO - luke Great to see Mia with you always ( This time in her New hair cut :D )  ! @ @MohamedSherif been long time I saw you after our Badayer , impressive the way you were taking those long range tall dunes !   @Murtaza Bhuria am sure your basics of PSIs is revised and also when not sure of track not to attempt :) - With every drive we learn and some times lessons we never forget ;) - Having said that you did well with Pajero while sandwiched between jeepers ! 

@Gary F White sand Runner, always stands out among the whole of convoy...   @Krishna R  &  @Bravoecho  &  @Mahmoud Taha  Great catch up with the Jeep Boys ;) :D - Specially when you have the 392 beast behind you :D

@Gok Krish 392 - I say nothing more ;) great power when you were pulling me and looper :D - change your user id to GK392 :D

@Varun Mehndiratta - There has to be FB 2.0 Sweihan - to make sure we resume the Plan is No plan drive again, and meet the old lady ! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use