•  

Morning Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Al Saad (Al Ain) - Abu Dhabi - 19 Mar 2023

Asif Hussain

We request every member that joins this drive to go through the below information and strictly follow these guidelines, etiquettes and responsibilities.

MUST READ AND COMPLY

DRIVE DETAILS

Level:  Fewbie Plus and above

When:  March 19th 2023, Sunday

Meeting time:  6.00 AM  - Sharp (Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yGRpU2huxmSB5YAs7

Approximate finish time:  10:00 AM

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Mandatory off-road gears: Tire deflator, tire pressure gauge, compressor, walkie-talkie radio, off-road flag, shovel, first-aid kit, Tow Rope, 2 Shackles and fire extinguisher.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE

• This drive is limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Saturday - 9 AM
  • If the RSVP is full, you can add your name to the waitlist, once anyone drops, you will be moved to the RSVP list.
  • RSVP will close a day prior to preparing a convoy list.
  • Latecomers will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - Without any exceptions.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON BELOW CALENDAR

@Benjamin @Zed @Joseph Raju @Tharun Kumar V @Jona @Pascal @Krishna R @Mus_hus78 @Salim Akhtar @Abdul Basit Khan thank you all for joining the drive. 

Convoy Order

• Asif Hussain
  • Pascal
  • Tharun Kumar V
  • Salim Akhtar
  • Abdul Basit Khan
  • Benjamin
  • Zed
  • Joseph Raju
  • Krishna R
  • Jona
  • Mus_hus78

We will be using Carnity Channel No.4 - 446.081-25

Last ADNOC filling station https://goo.gl/maps/JMYqqXJpvc2d1onA9

Drive RSVP closed. See you all tomorrow

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 2

I love drives in Al Ain and Abu Dhabi. Really nice and beautiful area. Long dunes and vast desert. 

I hope @Krishna Rand @Abdul Basit Khan are on their way to home after sort out the issues. Today what I like the most is the coordination and patience of each carnity member to solve a problem and support to each other. As usual we will not loose a person behind. Thank to everyone. Special credit to @Asif Hussain to hear all the opinions from the group and tried to execute the best. Also need to thank you @Jonafor his valuable and unforgettable support and solution to the issue by analyzing the situation. I am very happy to be part of this group today.

See you all in desert soon😎

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Al Saad - Asif Hussian

What should have been an epic drive but was cut short by vehicle issues.

Al saad and @Asif Hussainwere both a first for me and I went with less expectations.

The weather was 15 degrees at the starting point which was a nice surprise. We did a quick briefing and entered the sand. 5 mins into the drive, my mouth was wide open looking at the size of the bowls and Asif Bhai's lines. I was grinning every 2mins and mentally repeating to myself "It's gonna be an epic drive" , driven more with Asif bhai's promise of an amazing play area at the end of the drive. 

The whole convoy shared this passion and were executing the climbs and side sweeeps in a smooth fast paced manner. 

About an hour into the drive, I heard a loud thump when climbing and thought it was the rear bottoming out. Continued climbing a couple of dunes and then i heard a whirring noise from the rear. Stepped out and was greeted by the rear wheel touching the fender. My heart sank at that moment and I informed on the radio that i needed help. 

Quickly, the convoy came together and assessed the situation. Looked like an exit :( 

I cant say enough thanks to @Asif Hussain@Jona @salim @Abdul Basit Khan
 @Zed @Pascal @Joseph Rajuto have spent more than 1.5 hours to fix my car and take it out. The ingenuity to come up with a hack to get the car out of the desert is commendable. With whatever odds and ends we had, @Asif Hussain and @Jona came up with interesting ideas to fix the car which would put many accomplished auto mechanics to shame. Finally we came out of the desert with my rear axle cursing me. It was held together with ratchets and straps :) 

Once out, I literally had no idea on what to do and  @Abdul Basit Khan was my knight in sining armour. We booked a recovery and @Abdul Basit Khan took me to Sanaya and got a mechanic that replaced the part in 10mins flat. We had a hearty lunch and sped back to Dubai (Or atleast i did, I had to ditch him on the highway and sped off as I was late for a family commitment). Blacked out at 8 pm and woke up at 7 am . The sleep wasn't enough:) . Taking the car to the garage today to check for any other possible damage.

This shows the true spirit of carnity. Obviously I felt very bad that the other couldn't enjoy the virgin dunes of al saad but everyone made sure that i did not feel low and were chipping in with their support and kind words. 

Endearing of @Asif Hussain to check with me the next day on the status of the car. :) 

The whole convoy drove brilliantly and were climbing as if there's no tomorrow. 

@Zedwith his new beast took care of music for me. The hemi sounds too good bro. A couple of more drives with the jeep and you're gonna leave the LC in the garage itself.

@Jona we were at the end and had a lovely banter looking at the guys in front. Your ideas to fix the car amazed me buddy. Thank you for everything.

@Asif Hussain I loved the area, the route and especially the calm and composed manner in which you dealt the situation. Lets go to al saad again please with the same convoy. It will be my redemption!

Until next drive guys. Stay calm and check your leaf springs (if you have any) :) 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Krishna R said:

Once out, I literally had no idea on what to do and  @Abdul Basit Khan was my knight in sining armour. We booked a recovery and @Abdul Basit Khan took me to Sanaya and got a mechanic that replaced the part in 10mins flat. We had a hearty lunch and sped back to Dubai (Or atleast i did, I had to ditch him on the highway and sped off as I was late for a family commitment). Blacked out at 8 pm and woke up at 7 am . The sleep wasn't enough:) . Taking the car to the garage today to check for any other possible damage.

hi @Krishna R glad to hear that you made it home safely in the same afternoon.... so did the mechanic removed the wheel, unbolt the 4 U-Bolts, and re-slide the axle back to the center seating? Or did he replace the whole Leaf Spring suspension cos the old one broke the center pin? 

17 minutes ago, Zed said:

hi @Krishna R glad to hear that you made it home safely in the same afternoon.... so did the mechanic removed the wheel, unbolt the 4 U-Bolts, and re-slide the axle back to the center seating? Or did he replace the whole Leaf Spring suspension cos the old one broke the center pin? 

Hey @Zed They did not remove the wheel. Took off the suspension, unlocked the u bolts, took out the broken leaf spring assembly and fixed a new one. The old leaf spring isn't safe to be repaired and used but i bet he will fix it and sell it to another unsuspecting guy :) 

• Well Done (+2) 1

5 minutes ago, Krishna R said:

Hey @Zed They did not remove the wheel. Took off the suspension, unlocked the u bolts, took out the broken leaf spring assembly and fixed a new one. The old leaf spring isn't safe to be repaired and used but i bet he will fix it and sell it to another unsuspecting guy :) 

Wow, XTerra's parts availability is even better than Land Cruiser's 😅 But Leaf Spring has been used since horses carriage times, and its simplicity makes it used in industrial trucks...since Sanaya is industrial area, maybe now you have a truck-grade heavy-duty Leaf Spring now 😁  So now we know how to fix it next time, add extra Leaf Spring and 2 Axle Stands to the cargo as precaution if driving FB+ in Abu Dhabi 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 3/20/2023 at 11:47 AM, Krishna R said:

@Zedwith his new beast took care of music for me. The hemi sounds too good bro. A couple of more drives with the jeep and you're gonna leave the LC in the garage itself.

You're right @Krishna R i might be leaving the LC for longer project in garage... Initially I wanted the Jeep G Cherokee stock with its tiny 29" tires, but @Asif Hussain bhai is right I had to change to thicker sidewalls, so I just took advantage of Ramadan Sale and changed the wheels to Zero Offset (to clear the Upper Arm bolt that was limiting max tire to 29", see pic below) and upgraded tires to 31" Geolandar P265/70/17. Now the car will be ready even for @Srikumar's drives 😅

Pic 1: Zero Offset (avoiding wheel spacer) to move away from suspension and annoying Upper Arm Bolt 

B33C5A07-AD93-4BA7-8616-D76A81E64111.jpeg.6724956697bc2f3a7786125b989b113a.jpeg

Pic 2: New 265/70/17 Geolandar tires (downsize from 17" rims)

CF0DB2AF-1881-4EAB-8922-FBF585EC1D01.jpeg.13f515d585ba45fc8024fe648197351e.jpeg

• Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use