•  
Advertise here

Need help buying my first car (off-road & daily drive)

taz911

3 hours ago, ASAD. said:

Not to confuse you but if you are looking at a toyota then check the prado120 (pre 2010) or fortuner. Both come with a 4L engine (there is a 2.7L V4 variant as well but dont bother with that). Toyota reliability and much better offroad capability, for your purpose i would recommend these two more than the FJ. 

After looking at some ads, these are more expensive in price 35-40K+ and I don't think it will be wise to put in that much knowing the value of the car is going down after off-roading. 

Maybe I'll wait for another pajero, or make a lower offer as suggested by GauravSoni. 

All depends on the compression test now 🥲

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, taz911 said:

After looking at some ads, these are more expensive in price 35-40K+ and I don't think it will be wise to put in that much knowing the value of the car is going down after off-roading. 

Maybe I'll wait for another pajero, or make a lower offer as suggested by GauravSoni. 

All depends on the compression test now 🥲

Stick with the pajero if you have your eyes set on them, they are good value for money and plenty in the market which are not offroaded, im sure u will find a clean one. 

• Like (+1) 3

@taz911 My 2 cents on this. I was in the market for an offroader a few months ago and went through the same situation as you.

As you are looking for a vehicle that can do everything (on road comfort, off road capability and decently spacious), FJ wouldn't cut it for you. Rear seats aren't spacious and you will have to rent a 7 seater when your in-laws are in town. 

For me, the decision to get an Xterra was simple as i was looking for a dedicated offroader. I have seen 3.8 pajeros do wonders in the desert, Maybe it cant do the other 5% that proper offroad cars can, but Pajero is a wholesome package and you will enjoy the desert sans the 5%.

R51 pathfinder is a good offroader with decent on road performance and spacious as well, But the pajero is more handsome IMHO.

R50 pathfinder - same as above but the overall look borders vintage. Again, very old cars = surprise issues and higher maintenance.

I would suggest you to explore fb marketplace and you would be able to find mall crawlers and cars from people who are leaving the country.

On a totally different angle, as your budget is around 35K, you can get a on road SUV for 15-20K and a decent offroader for 15K :) 

• Like (+1) 2

@Krishna R Thanks for the detailed response! I love the way you have summarized my thoughts in a single comment. The X and the pathfinders both are great off-roaders but I am still inclining towards the Pajero for all the reasons you mentioned! 👏

6 minutes ago, Krishna R said:

I would suggest you to explore fb marketplace and you would be able to find mall crawlers and cars from people who are leaving the country.

Its no easy feat lol, I'm being patient! Wanted to get one before the end of Ramadan but let's see!!! 

9 minutes ago, Krishna R said:

On a totally different angle, as your budget is around 35K, you can get a on road SUV for 15-20K and a decent offroader for 15K :) 

Are there any realistic options for that price? Any ideas? I was even contemplating getting a normal sedan and adding the off-roader later next year instead of getting into something halfway but I really don't want to wait that long :D

Edited by taz911
incomplete comment by mistake
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Krishna R said:

@taz911 My 2 cents on this. I was in the market for an offroader a few months ago and went through the same situation as you.

As you are looking for a vehicle that can do everything (on road comfort, off road capability and decently spacious), FJ wouldn't cut it for you. Rear seats aren't spacious and you will have to rent a 7 seater when your in-laws are in town. 

For me, the decision to get an Xterra was simple as i was looking for a dedicated offroader. I have seen 3.8 pajeros do wonders in the desert, Maybe it cant do the other 5% that proper offroad cars can, but Pajero is a wholesome package and you will enjoy the desert sans the 5%.

R51 pathfinder is a good offroader with decent on road performance and spacious as well, But the pajero is more handsome IMHO.

R50 pathfinder - same as above but the overall look borders vintage. Again, very old cars = surprise issues and higher maintenance.

For 15k these days the only remaining options are:

1. Jeep Cherokee XJ. Fantastic offroad toy but will be like a project car (which can be fun too).

2. Pathfinder R50. Get the 3.5 engine, not the 3.3. Fantastic and fun offroader with spares available.

3. Pajero Gen 2 in 2-Door: Becoming very rare now and will also be needing regular attention.

4. Pajero Gen 3 in 2-Door: good option for this price, but many are not maintained well unfortunately.

2008 Xterra is now currently in the 20k range asking price, which might drop to 15 in summer season. Take into account another 5-6k at least in repairs to get it ready for offroading (bushings, mounts, all fresh fluids, etc...).

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

For 15k these days the only remaining options are:

1. Jeep Cherokee XJ. Fantastic offroad toy but will be like a project car (which can be fun too).

2. Pathfinder R50. Get the 3.5 engine, not the 3.3. Fantastic and fun offroader with spares available.

3. Pajero Gen 2 in 2-Door: Becoming very rare now and will also be needing regular attention.

4. Pajero Gen 3 in 2-Door: good option for this price, but many are not maintained well unfortunately.

2008 Xterra is now currently in the 20k range asking price, which might drop to 15 in summer season. Take into account another 5-6k at least in repairs to get it ready for offroading (bushings, mounts, all fresh fluids, etc...).

I have had my eyes on the XJ for a while(my instagram is full of XJ and Toyota 4 runner videos), if not now I'll obviously do this at a later point in life when I have the luxury to. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening right now. What on road SUV I can get in the given range that is reliable? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, taz911 said:

I have had my eyes on the XJ for a while(my instagram is full of XJ and Toyota 4 runner videos), if not now I'll obviously do this at a later point in life when I have the luxury to. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening right now. What on road SUV I can get in the given range that is reliable? 

in that budget perhaps go check out Ford Explorer. Big and roomy and comfortable. Reliability could be less of course. Another option is Chevy Trailblazer.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll definitely consider and see if this can work out. Its just the maintenance cost for the on road SUV + mod cost for the off roader that will through the equation apart. Let's see. 

Also while we are at it, aren't earlier generations of the ford bronco available here in the UAE? 2nd gen ford bronco 🔥

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, taz911 said:

I'll definitely consider and see if this can work out. Its just the maintenance cost for the on road SUV + mod cost for the off roader that will through the equation apart. Let's see. 

Also while we are at it, aren't earlier generations of the ford bronco available here in the UAE? 2nd gen ford bronco 🔥

Hahaha no you won't be spotting these here i am afraid...

• Sad (0) 1

• 5 months later...

Hello Carnity!!!! 

THE DREAM HAS COME TRUE TODAY! 

I just drove the pajero back home! Finally bagged a 2013 Pajero 3.8 GLS top @124000kms for 29,500/ with a full pre-purchase inspection with just 1-2 doubtful issues on the transmission & sensors. 

Thanks to the amazing help and I need to know how to get to the desert now!!!!!! 🚀

image.png.e3e2c09a61f70adfed8446a2e4b742cc.png

• Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use