•  
Advertise here

Building a 4 wheel inflation hose ?

Gary F

A 2 wheel setup sounds like a good compromise between hose length and time it takes to setup.

I’ll do some further research , I like the idea of building our own. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

I love the standard 2 wheel hose the FJ comes with, together with the built-in compressor.

If I were to upgrade to an on-board or even the suitcase ARB compressor, I would probably get a hose that can inflate 2 wheels at the same time. But not 4.

I find for 4 wheels there is "too much hose" and have to spend time dis-entangling it and getting knots out. I also like to wipe the sand/dust off the hose after inflating with a cloth, that would take me too long for the 4 tyre setup.

I think the guy selling the hose also sells the 2 wheel setup. But in any case this build-it-yourself projects sounds like fun and I might give it a try for a 2 hose setup. Thanks for sharing that! 

Just a thought,  believe this standard 2 hose arrangement that comes with FJ and Jeep should be possible to upgrade to 4 hose one easily. There is one brass Chuck which is used for deflation - connecting another 2 hose arrangement with that should do the trick (?) Something I believe might be worth the try. 

2 hours ago, Gary F said:

A 2 wheel setup sounds like a good compromise between hose length and time it takes to setup.

I’ll do some further research , I like the idea of building our own. 

After using two hose arrangement - am more and more inclined to go for 4 hose arrangement. Yes will take good amount of time to fill up - but then no need to stand next to car - can chit chat during winters and can be inside the car during summer. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mark B said:

Went to Iceland a few weeks back and these bad boys had air build in, you can see the hose going into the wheels! That would be sick but not sure how practical as a daily driver lol 

CE99E18B-FC6F-442A-A0B4-61EAFAD3D120.png

In Qatar I remember seeing a few Landcruisers with this setup but they also had oversized sand tires. I expect its a very expensive build.

8 hours ago, Varun Mehndiratta said:

Just a thought,  believe this standard 2 hose arrangement that comes with FJ and Jeep should be possible to upgrade to 4 hose one easily. There is one brass Chuck which is used for deflation - connecting another 2 hose arrangement with that should do the trick (?) Something I believe might be worth the try. 

After using two hose arrangement - am more and more inclined to go for 4 hose arrangement. Yes will take good amount of time to fill up - but then no need to stand next to car - can chit chat during winters and can be inside the car during summer. 

Presume the hose that comes with the Jeep is only on Rubi models ?

14 hours ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi Gary - I've done this before, all parts were ordered through Amazon (.ae or .com depending on availability).  Here is a rough list of parts:

- Flexzilla hose 1/4" Inches, 25 foot long - 3 of them, of which you use 2 as main lines and the 3rd hose you will use to built two short whips of about 5 foot long.
- 4 Closed air chucks
- 1/4" Brass ball valve
- Air splitter 1/4" NPT 3-Way air manifold
- Barbed T-couplers (you can get these in Speedex)
- Loctite 542 Thread sealant 50ml
- Metal brass pipe fittings and couplers 1/4" or Color Connex coupler & Plug Kit 

I reused an analog gauge from a unused inflator, I prefer analog as I don't have to deal with batteries, my recommendation on this is to choose a 1/4 NPT lower mount gauge with a range of 0 to 60 psi, and 2.5' to 4' face. If you go for a digital one, then it is best to go to amazon .com and choose one, I like the one that Measureman sells for $12.97.

For my system I used an ARB dual piston compressor and a 4 liter ARB air tank with an air outlet located outside of the car and covered with a dust cap.

But perhaps one of the most important parts is, when installing the compressor, ask the guys in the garage to explain how will they run the electrical lines and air pipes (if any) and show you images of previous works they've done.  I've had bad experiences of garages doing extremely bad and unsafe electric installations, but there is one where I just had my recent air system installed and they did, in my opinion, a very neat job.

Mario think you for the detailed build list, gonna start looking at sourcing locally.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mark B said:

Went to Iceland a few weeks back and these bad boys had air build in, you can see the hose going into the wheels! That would be sick but not sure how practical as a daily driver lol 

CE99E18B-FC6F-442A-A0B4-61EAFAD3D120.png

Have seen one LC in Carnity with this setup sometime back, not sure if we still have it… is pretty cool setup. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, Looper said:

I bought a 4-way hose, but I don't use it. All things being equal it takes more time to set up the 4-way hose and to pack it back than a single hose. Plus, I have a bluetooth module and when a tire is full, I switch off the compressor (just a soft switch off) and change the hose from tire to tire - this gives the compressor a few mins to cool down.

Having said that - I would encourage you to go ahead with the project, as it is worth doing for the experience irrespective of all other factors and wishing you all the best.

Same here I also bought 4 for my ARB, but I recently bought another Jeep and there was a compressor build in with 2 hoses. I think that's the real sweetspot. Way less space and hassle. So I would always recommend 2 instead of 4 at least because that's easier and more fun to use. 

to the details: I bought mine for 600 and in sale instead of 700 at quickflate - it comes with a digital gauge and it is a really good quality. (quickflate_uae on insta)

Edited by Felix Obst
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/2/2023 at 4:57 PM, Gary F said:

I thought it would be fun project to build two sets, has anyone here built their own hose set? Got any tips on where to go for parts ?

I hope recommending spare parts shop is not as strict as recommending garages 😅 so here goes:

- Royal Pipes Trading LLC in BMW Road Sharjah, either buy flexible ones or PVC Blue that can handle 7 bar or the extreme braided ones that can handle 12 bar.

- Wika 150 psi Digital Gauge from neighboring hardware shops along W Road

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1