•  

Afternoon Fewbie Desert Drive - Zarzora: The Lost Oasis: - Dubai - 12 May 2023

Level:  Fewbie and above (all levels)

Meeting time: 3.00 PM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WPggnLH2weo54A637

Action Plan: Zarzora was long rumored to have existed deep in the desert west of the Nile River between Egypt and Libya. In writings dating back to the 13th century, the authors spoke of a city which was "white as a dove" and called it "The Oasis of Little Birds" (the meaning of Zarzora). The first European reference to Zarzora is in an 1835 account: the Oasis called "Wadee Zarzoora" abounded "in palms, with springs, and some ruins of uncertain date". The legend persists still to this date: just before WW2 several European explorers, such as the legendary Bagnold, Almazy and Clayton, made forays into the desert in search of Zarzora, but never succeeded in finding it. We will keep looking for it, although in a different part of the desert. Who says we will not be able to run into the fabled remnants of date plantations and ruins of uncertain date?

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 7:00 PM

P.S. Only join if you have a compressor to inflate your tires after the drive.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 cars maximum. RSVP will close on Wednesday - 5 PM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members that do not confirm the terms of the COVID requirements will be removed from the RSVP list.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

Please RSVP on below calendar 

• Like (+1) 4

5360350.jpg.a42cde3f064f983a6a565f4be1a19c36.jpg

15 seconds- convoy full... 15 seconds- wating list full... 🤣🤣

Do we have one more @Ale Vallecchi

• Haha (+1) 4

Actually I heard it commented multiple times from different people during drives that they wish there were weekday drives offerings too 😁 The large numbers are not surprising, in my opinion. There seems to be quite a substantial member base that is self-employed or with flexible schedules that would happily do weekday drives and spend weekends with family 😊

Edited by Patrick
  • Like (+1) 3

At other clubs I drive with even before joining Carnity the weekday drives are well-attended. Especially night-drives. I joined several night drives at Carnity many weeks ago, are there plans for any more?

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Patrick said:

At other clubs I drive with even before joining Carnity the weekday drives are well-attended. Especially night-drives. I joined several night drives at Carnity many weeks ago, are there plans for any more?

It's a bit strict system at Carnity with different, and sometimes unnecessary stretched grading. We respect, and understand that Carnity first of all business, and after fun. For my, personal opinion, Fewbie plus level is unnecessary, and maybe Marshals should have rights to add to their convoy members from other levels, based on their own evaluation. For example i will be happy to join Wednesday convoy with @Ale Vallecchiat sweihan, but lvl posted as Fewbie Plus. But generally, i agreed with you, weekday drives will be in demand, if they will be properly leveled and if Marshals will have rights to invite members. @GauravMaybe required some kind of "willing to participate" list, based on which Marshals can plan weekday drives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Agreed on the grading structure. I drive with multiple clubs and already do drives that at Carnity I would need to reach Intermediate level for just to join. This is also true for some other members who I have driven with privately. It's really numbers-based and doesn't take into account the overall and actual experience level, unfortunately. Personally, I am just trying to get the extra 15 drives done so I can reach Intermediate and do the drives I really want to do just based on my actual number of drives I have done overall in UAE. I love this club and am friends with many members, sometimes wish members were placed in the levels they belong based on their actual experience instead of having to do drives just for the sake of earning credits 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

Yes definitely with the summer heat we usually revert to afternoon drives, SUPER EARLY morning drives, and many night drives :) 

• Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use