•  
Advertise here

Best A/T tyre patrol safari

Short wheelbase. Proper rear-end taillights. And your setup. Perfect recipe there @Bravoecho 😍

Thanks for sharing numbers! Helps puts into perspective what the additional doors take away from the car.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, munkybizness said:

Short wheelbase. Proper rear-end taillights. And your setup. Perfect recipe there @Bravoecho 😍

Thanks for sharing numbers! Helps puts into perspective what the additional doors take away from the car.

Thanks @munkybizness. I'm enjoying taking my time and researching the best options.

Decided to do the dyno becuase i'm only interested in changes that yield a result rather than sound or look good. 

I always received a different number when I asked others about HP and torque so figured the only way to get a answer that relates to me is to obtain my own figures. 

I also see varying numbers in relation to weight but don't know where I can get this done in Dubai

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Bravoecho said:

I actually did the same last week @munkybizness :) .

Wanted to get a base line on the car before I start the "enhancements".

205 WHP with the new tyres I mentioned above and 247 foot pounds of torque

Dyno Results 1.png

Dyno Results 2.png

Dyno.jpg

Nothing like cold hard data to give assurance , I’m still looking for tires to get off the mud terrains, torn between the Geolanders and BF Goodrich. 

On 5/21/2023 at 1:49 PM, Frederic said:

I will be doing the same coming summer and after some resource I’ve shortlisted these ones:

1) Michelin LTX AT: amazing feedback from fellow off-roaders @munkybiznessand @Gaurav here. 
2) Yokohama Geolander G015: has been my go-to tyre on all my off-road vehicles so far and never really disappointed me. Perfect blend of on road and off-road capabilities and price is affordable.

3) Kumho Road venture AT: noticed recently on @Ahmad Nerathis new FJ and heard good things about them as well.

The BF Goodrich KO2 are of course also a great alternative if you spend lots of time in wadis and rocky terrain. Unfortunately for sand they are a bit heavy and would rob you from some climbing ability which is already a bit of an issue on the Y61.

Bridgestone Dueler I only have experience with the HT which is not bad but absolutely not a decent off-road tyre. Perhaps the AT version is better but I doubt it.

Not seeing any of these Michelin tires pop up on the usual local tire pricing sites. Guess we need to call around. 

• Like (+1) 2

@munkybizness Thank you for your detailed info! It really helpful! 

Thank you to everyone else for your support and info!! Thank you! 

Please assist with trust worthy garage, tyre replacement, or Tyre shop or even online purchase in Dubai. 

I am leaning towards the Geolanders! looks like feedback on the tyre and drive is positive for a soft core weekender off-roader! 

• Like (+1) 2

There is another brand you should consider - BF Goodrich Trail Terrain, which is what I have in my Y61 SWB too, not too heavy of a tire.  The size I went for is 285/75R17.

Prior to these I had Cooper, were heavy, and then Geolandar A/T G015, walls starting showing signs of cracking very soon.

Now, if your car is manual, then you can possibly dismiss the fact of getting heavy or wider tires, because the end gear ratio of a Y61 with MT is 4.375 vs AT 3.545, therefore it will handle those tires better, you could even think of getting Wrangler Duratrac :) 

• Like (+1) 2

@Mario Cornejo - were you able to fit the 285/75/R17s without any changes or cutting to the wheel-well? Have you had any rubbing issues that you needed to account for?

I ask because I considered it, but it's a significantly bigger tyre (~33.8") than the stock 275/65/R17 (~31.1"). But if it's fitting well then it's a great tyre to extract almost 1.4" of lift out of. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gary F said:

Nothing like cold hard data to give assurance , I’m still looking for tires to get off the mud terrains, torn between the Geolanders and BF Goodrich. 

If its the tread block size you were focused on @Gary F then look at the light truck version of the G015 which is what I ended up chosing.

A lot larger then the 275/75 G015 tread blocks but you still retain the G015 tread pattern and the side wall is 10 ply versus 8 ply on the K02's

G015.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, munkybizness said:

@Mario Cornejo - were you able to fit the 285/75/R17s without any changes or cutting to the wheel-well? Have you had any rubbing issues that you needed to account for?

I ask because I considered it, but it's a significantly bigger tyre (~33.8") than the stock 275/65/R17 (~31.1"). But if it's fitting well then it's a great tyre to extract almost 1.4" of lift out of. 

Oh! An edit to my post:  the size I went for is 285/70R17. In both cars (LWB and SWB) I had to remove the mud flaps and in the SWB I had to cut the inner corner where the front mud flaps are attached. 

Regarding tire rubbing, this leads into another interesting conversation :) : suspension etc.  In my case I have a 2.5” lift in the SWB and what I’ve done is add longer bumpstops and tested the shocks setting to prevent the tire from rubbing while driving in the desert.  On a normal road, I can keep the shocks in the softest setting and won’t experience any rubbing.   The LWB has a 2” lift and Yokohama LT285/70R17 on stock wheels, and no issues at all with regards to rubbing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1