•  
Advertise here

Explorer heating up very little on hard hitting

Since last week, i am noticing that my Ford Explorer has been ocassionally heating up slightly when i hit gas more than its required like on instant hit on redlights in day time. I know temperature has gone up since a week and may be due to that its acting this funny.

Any checklist or things to do or things to get it checked before the real summer kicks in, because if with this 35-40 degrees its acting funny then i am sure after a month it might overheat a lot. Appreciate any kind advise and clue for the things to check.

Now when the heat is 40+ already then even slightest engine cooling malfunction will blow out of proportion. You should check the coolant level inside the radiator and outside the radiator in the coolant expansion bottle. If all level are good, then show it to the mechanic to check the AC fan, Radiator fan and if they both are fine too, then get the radiator cleaned, it might have been clogged or rusted with age.

• 2 weeks later...

You should also make sure that you run with coolant and not water, as water evaporate at 100 degrees and coolant evaporate at 130 degrees and at 120 degree your engine will get fried. So always use coolant that can last forever if no leaks.

AC fans is also very critical, as in summer we always drive with AC on and if AC external fan cooling the radiator is not working then engine has AC load and AC fan is not cooling the engine for additional load, will fry the engine as well.

If all are good, i suggest get the radiator and condensor clean nicely from outside with water jet that can dissipitate lot of heat if clean and free from dust and leaves. If still car overheats, then get the radiator opened and cleaned from inside due to age and water usage radiator might have some corrosion build up inside and blocking the radiator cores.