•  
Advertise here

How to clean the smudgy and faded headlights

Hi Guys, I want to share my very first DIY after learning and reading from you guys.

My car headlight (may be plastic) lense cover has been smudgy since quiet long time. Worst is left is more bad than right so it clearly looks like something is wrong somewhere. After reading many ideas of rubbing toothpaste, cleaning with laquer and other bla bla ideas. I went to ACE hardware for buying wood piece for my kitchen and while waiting for timber guy to come from lunch break i have found scratch out bottle in automobile section.

Company name is Formula 1 and while reading the bottle instruction it says that it can cleans and restore the smudgy and faded head lamps too. I bought this and tried last night for 1 hour as instructed and trust me headlamps have been restored to original tint by 70%. May be i will do another excercise after a week and restore them 100%. After doing this i was so happy and felt accomplished of doing something myself that i thought of sharing this with you guys to help you and share my excitement. Hope my experience will help and inspire you guys. Cheers.

post-58-140417648847_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

you need loads ... and i'll repeat that for emphasis .. **LOADS** of elbow grease to get those headlights shining again if you rely on the scratch out + hand application. Using some 1500 and 2000 grit wet sand paper, a rotary buffer and a good compound like 3M Fast cut ... it will take you max 1 hour to get those light look like new again. I'm no pro but venturing into the car detailing scene so I have experimented on my Clio 182 .. did the head lights and even on the hood (which has very hard paint). Again, this comes with the infamous disclaimer 'Don't try this at home' .... just j/k :mrgreen:

• 8 months later...