•  
Advertise here

Part problems

Hi brothers ... We purchased our 2008 Ford Expedition 4 1/2 years ago and have really enjoyed it as it has posed very few problems. About 2 months ago, we started experiencing problems with starting the car. I took it to an independent technician and he diagnosed it as a broken fuel pump. He had a slightly used replacement pump so we had the old one replaced. Things were fine for about a month and then suddenly the problem came back. This time I took it to a proper Ford center and guess what?? They said I need a new fuel pump!! On top of that ... the part is not available at the moment. No other dealers have a brand new one either, nor can they get it delivered anytime soon. I have searched online without any luck. In the meantime me and my family are stuck with a truck that won't start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am a senior technician with over 25 years of experience. You have to replace the fuse box that contains the built-in fuel pump relay. The relay is mentioned as a non-serviceable part in the owners manual. To replace this relay, you have to replace the fuse-box. There are 12 quick connect plugs and a 10 mm socket to remove the wire going through the firewall. Yes, this wire is removable after you pop the cover off of the connection. A 1/2 inch socket will unbolt the fuse-box from the inside wall at the front seat passengers right kick panel. Two sockets are all the tools that you need. There are two wires going to the fuel pump near the left rear tire. Make sure that the fuel pump is getting power with a test light. This can be checked at the module behind left rear tire, on top of the frame. You can see it at the 2:00 position at the rear tire through the fender-well. The plug is on the front side of the module. You will have to lay under the truck to access this wire. A shield mounts the module to the frame. Two small screws hold the module on the shield and two more hold the shield on the frame. Coming out of the fuse-box is a dark green wire with a yellow stripe. This wire sends power out of the fuse-box to the inertia switch to the fuel pump. If you have power at #12 fuse but none at the green/yellow wire, the relay is bad. This wire is on the top of the fuse box, towards the firewall and bottom left wire in the plug. Again, to replace this relay on this vehicle, you must change the fuse-box. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my research and expertise, the original equipment includes a faulty design which causes this part to frequently malfunction. It is probably in all models between 2006 to 2010. My understanding is that the design defect has been corrected in the newer replacement part although obviously the installation of a used OE pump with a defective design may well result in a similar malfunction.