•  
Advertise here

How to make sure that your car alternator is working or not?

Hi Folks, I recently encountered this dilemma where one of the mechanic insisted that my alternator is dying and need to change it and it will cost me 3000 dhs. For taking second opinion i went to another battery fitting shop in satwa and found nice series of logic to find out if battery is dying or alternator is dying.

First and the foremost check is to run car with headlight and if in idle and interior light dim after few minutes and brighten up back when you hit little throttle means alternator is not producing enough current to keep your car battery charged and hence its on it way to die very soon. Which was not there in my case.

Second this guy check the battery with voltmeter when car was running and battery was in green zone that means voltage in the battery is healthy even my car was running at idle with headlight, music, AC and interior light on.

Third he check the battery when car is off and it showed in weak zone, means it was a battery that was not holding the current and that's why since 2-3 days i was having starting difficulty to give 3-4 self to start the car. He changed the battery and its been 5-6 days now car is starting fine in morning.

Bottom line, check everything properly before signing in for expensive repair. Go for second opinion if you can. I could have spend 3000 dhs repair bill in place of 280 dhs required for new battery. I feel quite proud of myself after this, and feel like telling others to save some of your hard earn money. Have a nice weekend guys.