•  
Advertise here

Whining noise from S8

My 2005 model GCC specs S8 making whinning noise occasionaly like something is screaching (like belt screach). It is sometime on idle also and sometime while driving so im little lost to what to check and how to start? Its frequency is like once in a 3-4 days i hear this whinning. I checked all belts and evenh put some wd40 on fan belts but its still happening sometime. Any valuable feedback, suggesytyion can get me started. Appreciate your help folks. cheers.

Whining noise usually comes from belt. And if you are saying its coming sometime then it becomes hard to identify. Better wait or change the most suspicious belt first and see. Flip the belt underside and see if its really worn out or when you flip then rubber shows the crack in the background then that means it needs change. hope this solve your issue. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you if it is the belt the sound will be continuous and to be sure just drop some water over it while engine is running on idle speed (just a little don’t drown it) and the sound will be heard clearly.unless you have a small coolant leak its for sure coolant pump.

I think you have an indication for upcoming mechanical failure with A/C compressor or power steering pump or alternator so check alternator bearing & battery charge on the screen if it’s fine check power steering fluid level and quality and mostly it’s the mesh under the fluid reservoir blocking oil and making the pump jamming.

If all are fine go ahead and check your timing belt immediately.

Unless your S8 is a V10 which is much different story.

Good Luck

• 5 months later...