•  
Advertise here

what are performance chips?

Hello,

I have an audi S8 and a friend of mine flew in from the states recently and was impressed to see how i maintained my car. he mentioned if i'd be interested in performance chips for a better engine? I have no idea about what those are ... can someone shed some light on them and whether someone in the UAE have used them ...

looking forward for a detailed answer since i have no know-how about what they are

thanks

They improve the efficiency and performance of your car.

They come under the 'toys for boys' category since they are accessories that do not come from the factory and they actually replace the factory chip under the hood which has the factory enabled fuel consumption for efficiency. With a performance chip your car can intake less fuel and go faster and performance efficiently ... is it true I am yet to find out. If you are a kind of a guy who likes playing with their cars then try it out by all means.

Sorry I would never get a performance chip on a luxury car. Majority of the time, people are interested in performance chips due to the added speed. You should not get into that unless you will be participating in a race. Moreover, these chips have a couple of downsides as well. If you think logically, they increase the pressure on the car's engine and the overall performance instead of genuinely improving it. Anything this chip does to your car after installing it .. is not covered by warranty since it overrides the performance of the original chip and system installed in the car.

There are all kinds of performance chips available in the market.

Some are legit and really do improve the efficiency of the car while others just try to find a shortcut into tricking your car into something. The perfect example is where a chip fools your car's computer into believing that the air intake is cooler than it really is ... leading it to believe that its working on a richer fuel mixture ... and the end result is that the injection program is .... screwed.

The legit ones never override you car's engine control unit. They have multiple sensor overriding systems. They usually help you if you are getting yourself into heavy modifications like adding a turbocharger .. etc :geek:

If I understand correctly then majority of the people use these chips to increase the speed, performance, etc

Why pay something extra for something when all you are going to get are speeding tickets -_- ... I have paid soo many speeding tickets in the last two years that it hurts!! Speeding performance chips a big no no !!