•  
Advertise here

CV joints clicking noise?

Hello everyone, this evening my friend was driving my A4 around with me seated next to him. He noticed a clicking noise and suggested something along the lines of getting the CV joints checked/greased, etc. He sounded concerned because he said that it can result in a serious axle failure which scared me since my A4 is not so old. He offered me some help but i had to get home quick so came back. Might not see him this week since he will be in Abu Dhabi ... which also means that i might not have any support in terms of my CV joints ... What are CV joints and what should I do? just grease them?

They work like any other joints, holding two components together. they need to be greased yes and if they are not they have the tendency to ... well sort of break. They are very important as far as the car's suspension is concerned so yes might be of concern for you if ur friend pointed it out well. Possibility of axle failure are low initially but not impossible. have u got a mechanic check out the clicking noise and the CV joints?

When your friend heard the clicking noise he might have noticed it when he would be turning the wheel. This means that your CV joints need to be replaced, the rubber present on them might have worn out. don't think just greasing it would be a solution if the rubber is really worn out or aged.

The process is fairly simple but needs the hands of the professional. This is no do ir yourself kind of a thing. your tires, ABS sensor, axle, etc will have to be detached from the from of the car. If you are lucky you might get ur car back within a day from the dealership. Al Nabooda is timely.