•  
Advertise here

Pentastar Engine Ticking Sound?

Hi all, I am considering buying a 2013 Wrangler Sport from the Dubai SZD road dealer. I have been doing a lot of research on the net in regards to new 3.6 ltr engine performance and have stumbled on to many different american sites where lot of people are having ticking engine troubles. Apparently it starts with a ticking sound on the drivers side and then at around 20000 km the check engine light comes on.

The dealers in the USA are replacing the cylinder head due to over heating and misfiring in cylinder number 2.

My question, is anyone in the UAE experiencing these problems with the new pentastar engine?

If so, are the dealers in the UAE acknowledging the problem and fixing it under warranty?

If so, what is the fix? do they replace the head? is it the latest redesigned head?

Please see the below link

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120813/carnews/120819959

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/08/pentastar-head-issue-in-depth

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bejeepster

Very knowledgeable and useful information you saying. i know two freinds who got same in last 2-3 months. now, they both are enjoying this Penta engine more than anyother engines in the past, however itstoo early to comment on your ticking noise issue as they must have driven less than 3k, when i last met them week back. I will pass your info and ask them to keep there earsopen and note the dealer reaction. Thanks for the advance notice and im sorry i am not able to help you in this regard.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

I purchased my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport in January of this year. I bought it new from the Jeep dealer in Abu Dhabi. I have put almost 30000 kms on the clock already and I have had no problems with it. I hope it continues that way..

• Like (+1) 3

• 4 months later...

Thanks jhytinen, for posting and updating. Just came across this thread as i might be upgrading to 2013 model wrangler soon IA. Just checking your hi mileage, and curious to know where do you drive 30,000 kms in 4 months and how is the fuel mileage on hi speeds? As earlier wrangler's used to be very thirsty on 120-160 kmph speed.

• Like (+1) 1

Hello,

I do drive a lot..I drive about 125 kms each way just to my office. And the weekends we like to take her out as well. The jeep is pretty good on gas. I usually travel at about 130 kms/hr and my dash reads about 19-20 mpg. I usually get about 500 kms per tank of gas. So far I love the jeep, I just hate the mileage I put on her.. Good luck with yours...

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 months later...

Good Afternoon,

Just an update on my jeep. My clock has now hit 78000kms. It has been exactly one year to the day when I bought her brand new. At 76000 I was driving and unable to go over 3500 rpm. It showed a 06dd code. I researched it online and it says something with oil pressure sensor, filter or pump. The problem lasted until I got home. The next day it was fine. I brought her to the dealership and they could not find any problems. They reset the code and we will wait and see. No other problems to report...

• Like (+1) 3

• 6 months later...

Hello,

Just another update if any one is interested..

I have now over 115000 kms on my ride and have had zero problems. The engine light for the 06dd code never returned. I have switched over to synthetic oil at about 70K and also use Royal Purple synthetic for all my fluids. I know the argument over which type of oil and frankly I don't care. Its what you like and I am comfortable with using Royal Purple. I drive a lot and the extra protection is worth it..

Keep Jeeping...

• Like (+1) 4

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if anyone is following or not. My jeep now has 242000kms on it. It's a 2013 jeep wrangler sport. I had the cooling fan die on me at about 150000kms. That was around 3000dhs as it is a variable speed. 

At about 235000 I have developed the infamous pentastar ticking. I brought it to the dealer and they said it's a bad head. 7000+Dhs. 

Not sure what to do. The jeep runs great. 

Keep jeeping,

Jeff

Edited by jhytinen
Added milage
  • Like (+1) 5